Keller @ Large: Romney Remains Top Target For Democrats

BOSTON (CBS) – Mitt Romney’s presidential campaign may be in trouble. Polls show the Republican candidate is losing ground to Newt Gingrich, but Democrats don’t seem to care, and are keeping Romney as their top target.

Another day and yet another Romney attack ad from the Democratic National Committee, which rarely acknowledges the existence of any other GOP candidate.

A page on the Romney site refers to the Democrats’ “obsession” with their man.

WBZ-TV’s Jon Keller Is At Large

“No, we’re obsessed with making sure that people and voters in America have the facts,” says Kevin Franck of the Massachusetts Democratic Party. “Romney’s obsessed with being a serial deceiver.”

Still, the Democrats’ focus is telling, especially since the new front-runner, Newt Gingrich, has plenty of flip-flops on his record, too.

“I think what we’ve seen is Republican primary voters are starting to warm up to Newt Gingrich in part because they know where he stands,” says Franck.

Gail Gitcho from the Romney campaign says, “The last thing that this White House and the Democrats want to do is run against Mitt Romney in the general election.”

More from Jon Keller
Comments

1. Tsal says:

Oh this is disturbing. Warming up to Gingrich because they know where he stands. Where is that? In the pockets of the special interest groups. Beside Fannie and freddie? And if the democrats don’t like Romney I’d say the republicans like him even less. Good enough reason for me to vote for him. So far they have escalated an idiot (Perry) to the front then a candidate who has no regard for women or any other minority (Cain) and now the biggest idiot of all who thinks child labor laws are foolish and takes millions from the GSEs. For the GOP it’s all about anyone but Romney

1. EscapedSpamFolder says:

Hi Tsal. I’ve been trapped in the BZ spam folder for two weeks. Finally escaped, very tired. Must keep my identity secret to avoid the runaway spam filters. Changed my name because BZ can’t figure out how to fix their problem. You’ll figure it out though.

2. revolution#9 says:

tsal listen to yourself! Don’t call those people idiots. The Governor isn’t an idiot. Nether is Cain. You and I don’t want either one of them to become President but they didn’t get to where they are by being idiots. Name calling is below your intellect.

1. Tsal says:

I don’t typically name call but in this case I can only think of even worse words. I do not believe either perry or Cain cares about anyone but himself. I honestly also believe they would destroy this country if they felt they could gain by it. I’ll retract calling Gingrich an idiot although I’m having trouble thinking of anything nicer. Clueless?

2. Nab71 says:

This campaign seems similar to the Nixon plan in 1972. Plant information and manipulate stories to get a candidate that you can defeat. Nixon got McGovern, Obama doesn’t want to face Romney. First, orchestrate accusations against Cain to solidify the African American vote. At the same time run anti Romney adds to keep the rest of Cain’s supporters away from Romney. Get liberal writers to pen articles supportive of some of Gingrich’s positions. Now if they can get Romney to cry on camera like Muskie did–maybe by planting some false information about his wife or family. The Dems would call this political hardball. When Nixon did it, they called it dirty tricks.

3. EscapedSpamFolder says:

1. Tsal says:

Haven’t figured it out yet. My question wouldn’t you think the GOP would be smart enough to figure it out. If the democrats are anti Romney the republicans are even more so. Or are they stupid enough to believe the anti campaigns you mention.

I likke a puzzle. Hmmmmm BI? First guess but suspect it’s not right. Still thinking about a creating a spinoff blog where we can continue conversations from here Mikey C??? This is fun

2. Tsal says:

I’d guess gramps but your comment was polite. I haven’t seen ajay in a while.

1. EscapedSpamFolder says:

Keep trying, Definitely not gramps. You two are not on the best of terms.

I’m amazed how the media is making a big deal about Romney being behind in Iowa. It’s not a priority to him. He’s limited campaigning there because he knows its very conservative. The media overemphasis suggests they are either in the tank or not very observant. The Democrats never realized McGovern was the one Nixon wanted either. They were too caught up in their liberalism, just as the Republicans are too caught up in their Right wing. If they keep it up they’ll get a candidate that may be ideologically pure with no chance of winning. The independents are the key.

2. tsal says:

Batman?? The one and only?? I was going with that first but something changed my mind so I’ll throw it out here. Great fun!!!

3. tsal says:

EscapedSpamFolder – gramps and I will work it out. He shows up no matter where I post with an insult or some degrading remark even though others have made the same comments I have. It’s kind of like the little boy in grade school who takes a shine to someone but doesn’t know how to tell her so just pesters her. Don’t tell gramps because I’m trying to figure how to break it to him gently but I am celebrating my 33rd anniversary tomorrow to an incredibly wonderful man so there is no room for anything but a friend in my life. As I said, we will work it out :)

4. tsal says:

I will repeat – sound familiar to you ESF? – that I am surprised by your title here Jon. It feels to me as if Romney is a huge target for the republicans. I believe the independents are far more likely to vote Romney than Gingrich. I am not even sure all republicans will vote for Gingrich unless they are hypocritical enough to call him an idiot and then vote for him because they simply are voting party.

ESF is right that independents are the key. The democrats are smart enough to see this – what in heavens name is wrong with the republican party.

1. massman says:

I think that many Republican voters have been very vocal about their dislike of Romney. I think the problem is, the other candidates are such clowns (yes, even more so then Romney), that one by one, we watch them rise then implode, as Romney has sat back and watched. I believe Romney’s first real test, the Brett Baier interview, really exposed how vulnerable he is as a candidate. Seriously, how tough is it too win a debate against the likes of Perry, Cain, and Bachmaan? Paul is too extreme. Santorum, like Bachman, has spent too much time battling for the most bigoted title. Huntsman is too intelligent (he actually believes scientists know more about climate change than oil lobbyists. Now you have Gingrich. There is a reason this man was polling so low in the beginning of his candidacy. That reason was not because the public doesn’t know who he is. He is a very unlikeable (with good reason), un-electable candidate for Presidency. Of course Democrats are focusing on Romney. Republicans have a much better chance with Romney than Gingrich. That is, unless Donald Trump decides to enter as an independent. Which he claims he will do if he’s unsatisfied with the GOP candidate.

1. tsal says:

massman interesting that you say Huntsman is too intelligent. Why isn’t every rallying behind intelligence????

2. BostonIrish says:

Ok, umm… Democrats are smart enough, Republicans aren’t? The only reason the Republicans don’t want Romney is because he’s not a mainstream Republican. By that I mean he’s not far enough right. That’s why they needed Perry to try and overtake Romney for the primary. Now all they have is Gingrich. I don’t think anyone doubts that Gingrich cannot beat Obama. Things are so unpredictable with the Republican side, I think they’ve already jumped the shark with Bachman, Cain and Perry vying for the top spot. If Paul runs as an independent he’s only taking votes from Romney. Obama wins again. The only way Obama loses is if Hillary runs against him as an independent. Hey, if Lieberman can go Independent and succeed, Hillary most certainly can.

1. tsal says:

hehe – and hi BostonIrish. You just made my point. Not right enough. IMHO either too right or too left is exactly what we do not need. My republican friends and democrat friends agree. I think most with common sense agree.

In addition, and as I’ve said, I believe the Democrats are smart enough to know it will be Romney that has the best chance. So why don’t the republicans see it? Back to not smart enough

just sayin’

2. tsal says:

oops – forgot again – I also think they are missing the boat with Huntsman. Paul makes sense in a lot of what he says but is too far right so I probably wouldn’t consider him. As I’ve said, I’d think hard about Romney but even more so Huntsman.

3. massman says:

BostonIrish – Republicans have put themselves in a very bad position. I think the conservative media has contributed to this. Although I’m liberal, I love listening to conservatives. They have supported every one of these terrible, out of touch candidates, including Palin, Trump, Bachman, Perry, Cain, and now Gingrich. The problem isn’t Romney. The problem is the party. Senator Scott Brown would have a better chance at beating President Obama, than any of these candidates. But he couldn’t win the Republican nomination because he isn’t an extremist, or Mitt Romney.

4. tsal says:

massman – exactly and that’s what I don’t get – why do the GOP powers that be not see this. If they want their party to win, get someone who has a chance. Scott Brown is a perfect example of what they should be looking for. I believe Obama has become ineffective – not all his making – maybe not even close to all – however, I do not want someone in office for four more years who is ineffective. I believe a lot of people feel the same way. Find a candidate close to the middle and the GOP gets a president. Stick with an extremist – a Washington politicians – and we all lose.

5. BostonIrish says:

Massman, that was my point. The republicans are losing their focus on ideals that, important to them, are not negotiable. Hence, their inability to emerge on a single, agreeable platform moving forward in the electoral process.

5. tsal says:

BostonIrish – lest you think I believe the democrats are smarter than republicans in general – that would be 100% incorrect. Just in this instance. As an example, what the heck are the stupid democrats thinking using the working class to try and get the republicans to increase taxes on the wealthy? It goes under the heading of insane. The republicans have a great plan to pay for the extension of the payroll tax cuts. The democrats are playing games. Both parties in my humble opinion need to be locked in a room with no bathroom until they can figure how to stop being idiots.

Now if this will just post :)

6. Tsal says:

BostonIrish – lest you think I believe the democrats are smarter than republicans in general – that would be 100% incorrect.  Just in this instance.  As an example, what the heck are the stupid democrats thinking using the working class to try and get the republicans to increase taxes on the wealthy?   It goes under the heading of insane.  The republicans have a great plan to pay for the extension of the payroll tax cuts.   The democrats are playing games.   Both parties in my humble opinion need to be locked in a room with no bathroom until they can figure how to stop being idiots.

Now if this will just post :)

7. FireGuyFrank says:

The Democrats don’t want Obama to face Romney — they prefer Gingrich. That’s why they (and their buddies in the media) keep going negative on Romney. Think Republican primary voters will learn from just four years ago how they were manipulated to vote for McCain?

Doubt it.

8. BostonIrish says:

One last attempt to post. Jon this is getting stupid.

Tsal, I couldn’t agree more. Financially, it’s about to get much worse. The Fed is getting involved in the Euro banks bailout. Not good news. We can’t afford our own debt, why should we help pay someone elses’s??? The national debt now exceeds the GDP. It means we are fast behind the eight ball and it’s definitely going to come home to roost. I think what’s happened so far with the economic crisis will take a turn for the worst by end 1st quarter 2012. The equities market is showing a massive drawdown of investors ahead of the year end.

1. Tsal says:

Try again. Europe is a fine line. Everyone I’ve talked to or heard feels Europe will drastically affect us. I’m not diminishing the importance of the debt but like Stephen stein who we have sadly lost here I feel the main focus has to be jobs. Unless something drastic happens in Europe which is a real possibility I’m thinking later than 1Q12 but you may be right

9. BostonIrish says:

Tsal, my friends’ program accurately predicted the QE3 and the market manipulatin by the Fed LAST YEAR. I am completely in moneymarket for the forseeable future. I cannot risk my retirement.

1. Tsal says:

Interesting BostonIrish. I think focus can’t be on the debt as much as on job creation. I agree about Europe but it’s a fine line. As europe goes so will the US

2. Tsal says: