Gov. Patrick Starts 2nd Leg Of Trade Mission In South America

BOSTON (AP) — Massachusetts Gov. Deval Patrick is set to begin the second leg of his nine-day trade mission to South America.

Patrick begins a six-day swing Sunday through Brazil, stopping in Brasilia, Sao Paulo and Rio de Janeiro.

Patrick and a delegation of state officials and business leaders plan to visit Brazilian companies, universities and government leaders to highlight what Massachusetts can offer Brazil.

On Monday, Patrick and representatives from the University of Massachusetts and the Brazilian Agricultural Research Corp. plan to announce a collaboration between Massachusetts’ and Brazil’s education and agricultural sectors.

The mission focuses on creating jobs in the life sciences, information technology, clean energy, financial services and education sectors.

Patrick signed an agreement last week with Chilean President Sebastian Pinera intended to expand the collaboration between Massachusetts and Chile.

Copyright 2011 The Associated Press.

Comments

1. emom says:

OK why not start the first leg in FIXING this state, I do not get why he must always help others out side of this state before he actually does something for us. Why

1. gramps says:

Afternoon emom,

Cause, if he brought his ‘Ma’ & the ‘Mrs.’, don’t know….

He/They, had to get his/their X-Mass shopping done!

Duty free?

gramps

1. emom says:

Evening Gramps, that figures, and I guess its all courtesy of the peoples taxes from Massachusetts, Yeah our tax dollars hard at work , Plane ticket, limo, hotel, 3 meals a day, souvenirs and gifts and maybe a little gambling and well a little night club action for him and the ladies,
        Must be grand to have all our money,,,

Hope you and the mrs have a great Christmas,

2. petem says:

I swear that if the two of you had two brain cells to rub together it would be a miracle! Did either on of you read the story, or any of the others that detail why the governor undertook this trip?
    How can you encourage businesses and people in other countries to invest HERE, as Gov. Patrick is doing if you don’t sometimes go to them?
    The comments sections on ‘BZ has started to become a race to the bottom of dumb…

1. blackbear1 says:

You are smug and have a real mouth on you. Kindly let emom and gramps express themselves freely. The gov. has many detractors who question many of his policies and stances as they are entitled to.

2. blackbear1 says:

OK webmaster,I’ll try this again!! Petem, you are real smug and have a mouth on you. Let emom and gramps express themselves as they are entitled. It may shock you to realize that the gov. does have detractors who are also allowed to speak their mind.

1. tsal says:

blackbear – good luck with the posting problems – maybe someone at some point on BZ will hear one of us – it is frustrating.

As far as your response to Petem, I think when a poster is constantly insulting (as is the case with one of the two Petem addressed), it’s difficult to ask someone not to be insulting to that person in return.

2. emom says:

black bear 1 , Thank you , I know we don’t always agree, but at least some are civil. Hope you had a good holiday. I am very cranky today and sick of these kinds of stories.. Its just another way to abuse whats little is left for the people of this state. With unemployment so high , people loosing their homes, and children suffering in the school system and with absolutely no assurance its going to get better. Hearing anything to do with a foreign anything coming here to bail us out and then ultimate take away , its to much. This is not America, its more like a company selling out.
        Again Thank you for your kind words, Maybe there is some shred of hope with the few that have a heart.

3. emom says:

We hear about how the government is trying to get small business owners to invest here , Yet are willing to tax the hell out of everything . If taxing is the only way to gain revenue then a rude awaking is about to take place, if no one is working then how in the world can the people pay such taxes, I know I cant, so where does this end. .I can say I hate politics But lately have been trying to learn more and more, May not know enough But from what I see its plenty, They have no clue to what they are doing and it is not going to get any better.

3. gramps says:

petem,

Deval’s 1st ‘junket’ (After he doubled his staff, got his wife an assistant {later canned}, bought his new Caddie & re-modeled his office & bought new drapes) was to China it cost over a quarter million….It only produced a few tourists from China……

He along with his buddy ‘Obama’ invested over a half a ‘BILLION’, $21,000,000, million of which were ‘Massachusetts Taxpayers’ bucks, into a MA solar project…..

The jobs all ended up in China….They’re probably being held now by those Chinese tourists I referred to…..WE CAN”T AFFORD HIM!

Patrick only cares about ‘Patrick’ & his Quest for the ‘Oval Office’ in 2016:

He’s like a farmer sewing seeds….He’s either ‘for’ or ‘against’ any law, program, idea or opinion that will enhance or can’t be used against him in his quest to be called ‘Mr. President’!…..

By 2016 the country’s demographic pendulum will be swinging to his liking. In the mean time he’ll do nothing to alienate ‘ANY’ ethnic or down-trodden group.

He’s ‘good buddies’ with Obama, yet refuses to take a position/post in DC…WHY?

Cause he didn’t & doesn’t want to be associated with any miss steps of an Obama administration…..They could possibly be used against him in his 2016 campaign….

So until then, he’ll build national ‘face & name recognition’, go on junkets & take notes on Obamas’ style, mishaps & moves, compile a ‘Do’s & Dont’s’ list for his run for the ‘Oval’ digs……He’ll continue push for ‘Free or reduced Tuition’ for illegal’s…..No ‘ID’s at the voting booth…..Look the other way when ‘EBT cards are used for ‘vacations to Vegas & Hawaii’….&….Be against programs like ‘Secure Communities’ & protect those ‘ID’less voters for his 2016 run…

gramps

1. emom says:

Evening Gramps, thank you this is what I mean he is and has done nothing for this state only to set up shop and gain from us. and then in the end as long as he gets what he wants He will not care .. All he wants to do is spend our money for his own selfish reasons,

3. emom says:

REALLY , and here it comes,judgemental people. First of all, I am sick and tired of foreign this and foreign that, Whats wrong with investments from with in this country, Pretty soon we will be OWNED by a foreign country,, OH wait we already are, CHINA.
    First of all if having a foreign investment is truly great WHY is it we are sick of them buying up businesses here. Nothing stays in this country it heads over seas. WHY, because labor is super cheap, Therefore the products we buy are cheaply made . Nothing is American made , WHY cant Americans invest in their own country, JUST asking. Foreign policies have taken a whole new level, We get companies that start up in this state , OH but wait then some foreign country BUYS them out and then that company goes over seas, More unemployment and less work for our people, SORRY not buying it and Don’t like it. So I guess the whole country has no brain cells, since they complain about it and yet allow it at the same time.

1. tsal says:

emom – I think your points are very valid. I also think Petem has valid points. As long as attempts are being blocked to both encourage products be manufactured in this country and to place an extra charge on anything that is imported, it will be necessary to encourage other countries to work with us. Remember, we do export business as well.

IMHO we need to get away from Bush’s call to outsource and bring everything back here and fine corporations who ship the majority of their manufacturing to other countries.

2. tsal says:

emom would love to reply and tried but as blackbear has said – there are serious problems with BZ’s filters. I think you have very valid comments and will try to respond later.

1. Mikey Cyrus says:

Hi tsal, I tried all weekend to respond to you in anotherstory but couldnt. For some reason, my PC at home doesnt work here at all. I can sometimes post here at work. The other way around would be better! Hope you had a good weekend. SOme good articles in Globe Metro section yesterday about what we were chatting about last week.

2. tsal says:

Mikey C – I also tried repeatedly to reply to you. I’m thinking of setting up a carryover blog so some of us can continue discussion. I really was enjoying our exchange My guess is your work computer will eventually stop posting too. Frustrating

4. emom says:

There is serious issues in everything these days, Frankly lets see JUDGEMENTAL people gee lets see, We scream ever so load that we are tired of how our politicians do things, YET we allow this for what, To sell out to the world. At any point has anyone ever thought that there is far to much foreign companies , groups and or investors taking more and more Americana away from us. I remember not all that long ago where many of us right here on this site squawked about such things.. Gee 2 companies right here in this state UP and sold out or moved their operations to china, And what did the governor do screamed just as much BUT then looked away and let it happen, Hundreds lost their jobs, Then another company came into this state But it has a foreign investor oh and its a foreign company., How long will they last, I give it 5 years max.
    What do I plan on doing , Gee lets see NOT MUCH, WHY because what can anyone ever do , No matter how we vote those we don’t want get voted in ,,Don’t believe me look who is in office now. From how I see it it surely does not matter any more, I did not vote the last two governor do not like their policies and see much of the same in the future.
    Yeah and we hear our votes make a difference, sure it does, If this is the difference Well I can do with out it.
    As for the posting issues, gee lets see I wonder why,, forget it , does anything matter much any more, Oh I can hear it now,, your grammar and spelling , gee like I said yesterday , like the world has perfect grammar and spelling. Just look at our kids in school, WOW like they even can carry a conversation with any meaning. Just listen when they speak, Not all but hey what do we expect these days. You get what you ask for ,, At least I know I never asked for it.

1. tsal says:

5. emom says:

Lets see, yeah Bushes idea of incorporating work , creating a platform for a better America, send work to other countries with the hopes they will invest in us , trade with us and thus help create jobs, YUP it back fired. I was very familiar with that era. After 14 years with a company, they decided to start to outsource our work to another country, Oh Canada, Mexico hell no, INDIA.. WHY. Because labor was only 25 cents an hour, Yeah extremely cheap labor to enter information into a computer, leaving less and less for us here to enter, Oh how did that work out, a loss of over 400 jobs over a 3 year period. And finally the company moved out of state, How they doing who cares. they didn’t. bottom line another case of GREED , CORPORATE GREED thanks to the hands of the bush era and the current politicians.
    I get the whole foreign trade thing, we trade with them they trade with us, But we are no longer trading products, we are trading lives, trading jobs and companies. for what profit, I only see the profit of greedy politicians and companies less and less companies are opening because there is not foot hold to do so. How can anyone BUY if they too have no money to BUY with,
    And now people once again are screaming because they do not want the casinos, they are willing to sacrifice jobs and a future to give whats left to over seas, well welcome to the THRID WORLD COUNTRY. I wouldn’t expect to much in the future, its looking far to bleak

1. tsal says:

emom – I am also familiar with that era since it’s when I was laid off and the work I did was outsourced to India. You are right. The company is still in-state and my husband managed to hold on to his job there; however, it slipped from number one in the world in its field and has yet to regain that position. So what it boils down to is the bottom line – where the money is made for the executives on staff at that time It doesn’t matter to them what happens to the company in the long run. What matters is the money in hand then and there. Corporate greed at the expense of the employee.

2. response says:

in this case, the governor is there to bring MA business technologies to south america. He was asked to go by the business to assist with government red tape.

1. emom says:

Lets see to bring Ma business technologies to South America, He is assisting business with government red tape.. I think he is talking with the government ,, he met with some government officials, With this is exactly how it started with the bush era. having talks with other countries to propose setting us business with them to help gain their respect , trust and with the hopes to acquire them , It back fired as I said and now look, jobs, leave this country every month, A SOLAR company was started her to only leave with its jobs, a pharmaceutical did much the same. now we are handing them technology for what to finally put the nail in our coffin per say. SORRY, I saw this long ago with the existence of many jobs right her in this state, where it started, Then small business slowly fail, all because other companies acquired them to mass produce their product at a far less cost, because help is cheap in other countries,
        Our government has not learned anything from the bush era. After such jobs started to go over seas they didn’t see that these same companies over seas started to request a raise in their pay, At first it was small, and not a big issue, but after a year or so they were requesting higher and higher rates, I remember when it happened at where I was working But the CEO still felt it was afar better choice to pay them to do the work that Americans were doing , WHY because BUSH said so. He opened the door for companies right her in this country to open up shop in another country and then ultimately close up shop her with no regards to their American workers,
        And now our wonderful governor wants to give a platform to them for technology, Have we learned nothing from giving some technology to some countries. Have we l;earned nothing from how we gave such technology to only be used against us. this is much of the same.
        Once again welcome to the NEW THIRD WORLD. AMERICA. You are handing over the reigns of our existence, it is a wonderful life ,, NOT.