BOSTON (CBS) – The Boston Red Sox announced a series of personnel moves on Monday, all within the organization’s baseball operations department.
“When I was offered the General Manager position several weeks ago I knew the best part of the job was the people I was going to get to work with every day,” said GM Ben Cherington in a release. “These promotions and additions, along with the extraordinary level of talent we have throughout baseball operations, are a reflection of that.”
Major League Personnel
– Mike Hazen has been promoted to Vice President/Assistant General Manager. Hazen has served as the Red Sox Vice President, Player Development and Amateur Scouting since February after spending the previous five seasons from 2006-10 as Boston’s Director, Player Development. A native of Abington, MA, he joined the Red Sox in February 2006 following five years with the Cleveland Indians organization.
– Brian O’Halloran has been promoted to Vice President/Assistant General Manager. O’Halloran had held the role of Vice President, Baseball Operations since February. He joined the Red Sox organization as a Baseball Operations Assistant in 2002 and has also served as Boston’s Manager, Major League Administration from 2004-05 and Director, Baseball Operations from 2006 through January 2011. The Weymouth, MA native began his baseball career with the Pawtucket Red Sox and was also a baseball operations intern with the San Diego Padres.
– Allard Baird has been named Vice President, Player Personnel after spending the 2011 season as the club’s Vice President, Player Personnel and Professional Scouting. He previously served as an Assistant to the General Manager beginning in November 2006 after joining the Boston organization in July 2006 as a special assignment scout. Prior to coming to the Red Sox, Baird spent 18 years in the Kansas City organization, including holding the position of Senior Vice President/General Manager from June 2000 to May 2006.
– David Finley has been promoted to Director, Player Personnel. Finley most recently held the position of Special Assistant to the General Manager after being named to the post in January 2010. He joined the Boston organization as the West Coast Crosschecker prior to the 2002 season and spent five years as the Red Sox National Crosschecker from 2005-09, earning Red Sox Scout of the Year honors in 2007.
– Zack Scott has been promoted to Director, Major League Operations. Scott has served as Boston’s Assistant Director, Baseball Operations over the last six years beginning in 2006. He joined the organization as an intern in baseball operations in 2004 and served as an assistant in the department the following year.
– Raquel Ferreira has been promoted to Senior Director, Minor League Operations. Ferreira will be in her 14th year with the organization in 2012 after serving as Director, Minor League Operations over the last four seasons from 2008-11 and as Director, Minor League Administration from 2002-07. She joined the organization in 1999 as an Administrative Assistant in Player Development and Scouting.
– Ben Crockett has been promoted to Director, Player Development. Crockett has served as the club’s Assistant Director, Player Development since January 2010. He joined the Red Sox organization as an intern in baseball operations in 2007 and served as Advance Scouting Coordinator from 2008-09.
– Amiel Sawdaye has had his contract extended as Boston’s Director, Amateur Scouting. Sawdaye will be in his 11th season in the Red Sox organization in 2012 and third year in his current role. Under his watch over the club’s last two drafts, Boston has signed 23 of 25 combined selections within the top 10 rounds. Sawdaye served as Assistant Director, Amateur Scouting from 2005-09 after spending 2004 as the club’s scouting assistant. He joined the Red Sox organization in 2002 as an intern in the scouting department and returned in that role in 2003.
– Jared Porter has been promoted to Director, Professional Scouting. Porter spent the last two years as the Red Sox Assistant Director, Professional Scouting. He was the club’s Coordinator, Professional Scouting from 2008-09 after serving as Assistant, Player Development in 2006-07. He joined the Red Sox as an intern in 2004 and spent one year in Fort Myers, FL.
– Eddie Romero has been promoted to Director, International Scouting. Romero held the role of Assistant Director, Latin American Operations/International Scouting in 2011 after a year as the club’s Assistant Director, Latin American Operations. He came to the Boston organization as an assistant in international and professional scouting in February 2006 and was named Coordinator, Latin American Operations that November.
Read/Watch: Valentine Honored By Sox Interview
– Galen Carr has been promoted to Special Assignment Scout. Carr will be in his 13th season with the Red Sox organization in 2012, having formerly served as a Major League scout over the last five seasons from 2007-11 and as a pro scout in 2006. Prior to those positions, Carr was the club’s Advance Scouting Coordinator from 2003-05 and was an Advance Scouting Administrator from 2001-02.
– Bob McClure joins the organization as a Special Assignment Scout/Instructor. McClure spent the last six seasons as the pitching coach for the Kansas City Royals after being named to the position on October 12, 2005.
– David Keller has been hired as a Professional Scout. Keller spent the last two seasons as a pro scout for the New York Mets. He interned with the Arizona Diamondbacks in player development/baseball operations in 2009 and was the Philadelphia Phillies Video Advance Scouting Intern in 2006. Keller began his career in professional baseball in 2007, serving as Director, Baseball Operations for the Atlantic League’s Camden Riversharks, a position he held for two years.