WBZ-TV Transmission Issues Notice Read More

Commander: State Police Captain Appeared Intoxicated After Chase Arrest

SAUGUS (CBS) – A veteran State Police Captain is suspended without pay and facing charges after leading police on a pursuit over the weekend.

State Police investigators say he may have been intoxicated.

Officials say Saugus police officers responding to house alarm first saw 47-year-old Captain Thomas McCarthy, who was off-duty, sitting in his unmarked cruiser outside the home.

WBZ-TV’s Paul Burton reports

McCarthy drove off, but a few minutes later, an officer spotted him committing a marked lane violation.

That officer pulled over McCarthy and asked him to step out of the car.

McCarthy allegedly refused, and instead drove away.

Three marked police cars chased McCarthy, until he ultimately pulled over in a parking lot at the Square One Mall.

McCarthy was arrested for failure to stop for police and failure to stay right of the center line.

State Police officers were called in to take possession of McCarthy’s cruiser, along with his gun, which was in the cruiser.

A State Police Commander, who spoke to McCarthy at the Saugus police station reported observing “signs of intoxication.”

“The allegations, if proven to be true, are serious breach of the conduct and behavior expected of a Massachusetts State trooper and do not represent the ideals and values of the vast majority of department members,” State Police spokesperson Dave Procopio said in a statement.

The State Police decided to indefinitely suspend McCarthy without pay at a hearing on Tuesday. They have also launched an internal investigation.

Whether McCarthy was intoxicated, along with his use of a cruiser while off-duty, are among the questions investigators are hoping to answer.

1. Opiionated says:

All I Have to say is, the police officers I have known love there alcohol. They also would brag about all there drunken nights and how they would use on duty officers as their designated drivers or escorts home. In my opinion, they are hypocrites and corrupt.

1. blackbear1 says:

Opiionated, besides being unable to spell you did not read the article. You are just a cop hater making rash generalizations. You wouldn’t have your own history with law enforcement would you??

2. Buddy says:

I bet he keeps his job and the Saugus occifers get fired for pulling over a State Trooper. Of all the empoyee’s of the Commonwealth these State Troopers have the biggest racket of them all. I can tell you on many occasions I see these folks crusing our highways at speeds in excess of 100mph in pursuit of nothing at all andputting us in great danger.

Maybe I should buy those Saugus occifers a drink. Ha, Ha.

3. Dave_D says:

Is anyone really surprised? I’ll bet this quietly “goes away” and the good captain retires with the usual awesome benefits.

4. Lump says:

No surprise to me…if I didn’t show up for a hearing(if I ever had one) you can bet there would be an arrest warrant issued on the spot. No Breathalyzer?!?!?

cops covering for cops…business as usual.

5. msw says:

No breathalyzer, no warrant for not showing up in court, and his lawyer states that he’s not receiving special treatment on a TV interview?? – give me a break. Of course he’s getting the special ‘cop’ treatment. If he were the average civilian, the outcome would have been much different.

6. Phalanx says:

Hey Idiots, there’s no such thing as a warrant for skipping an internal administrative hearing.