Keller @ Large: Greedy, Greedy, Greedheads

BOSTON (CBS) – I’ve tried to read up on the fine-print details of the dispute between the NBA owners and players, I really have.

And I keep coming back to the bottom line:

It appears that the owners, all of them millionaires, and the players, most of them making more in one year than regular folks will earn in a lifetime, are prepared to let a $4 billion business go down the tubes because of — what else?

Greed.

Listen to Jon’s commentary:

Like Gov. Deval Patrick, who went out of his way to describe himself this way the other day, I am a capitalist.

I believe in merit, and in earning what the market will bear.

And I have absolutely no problem with millionaire owners making more millions by charging ten bucks for a skimpy beer, or with players making mega-millions for chucking up three-pointers.

In a perfect world, we’d be paying all of them less and paying nursing home workers, teachers and foster parents more, but we like our sports in this country and no one’s forcing anyone to buy the tickets and ill-fitting warmup jackets that subsidize it all.

But now, in a squabble over divvying up this absurd windfall that seems to have deteriorated into a macho game of millionaire chicken, all parties are apparently prepared to decapitate the golden goose.

Greedy, greedy, greedheads, for whom the greed has apparently squeezed out any room for rational thought.

Even if they succeed in wiping out the entire season, perhaps there’s a chance the fans will return a year from now with enthusiasm unabated.

But I doubt it.

All they are doing is teaching fans that they really don’t need the NBA in their lives.

It took years for baseball to comeback from the strike that wiped out the 1994 postseason.

And the NBA’s folly comes at a time when we’re fresh out of patience with greed, having watched it destroy our economic growth.

The lawyers who advised the NBA owners and players into this mess ought to be sued for malpractice.

For their employers, I recommend a quick look around outside your bubbles at reality, and a decision that maybe this isn’t the best time to be a profile in greed.

You can listen to Keller At Large on WBZ News Radio every weekday at 7:55 a.m. and 12:25 p.m. You can also watch Jon on WBZ-TV News.

More from Jon Keller
Comments

1. Denise says:

Well lets hope that all these Multi-Millionaires have squirreled away their loot and/or have some type of education to fall back on… I honestly think that the whole Salary issue w/ ALL althletes is crazy! 50,000,000 for 4 years work?? Please!!!!! He isn’t saving lives – he’s throwing a ball. Basketball unfortunately is not all that popular a sport and they probably won’t miss it at all!

2. emom says:

The last time I was at any sporting event was the old timer hockey game back in the 90’s and to me it was not a bad price, less than $40 for two people. But today I see the prices of sporting events our of control, Why is it the standing room only at fenway is more than bleacher seats at the top,, I would think it would be less,,
    All these sports players are indeed greedy.. Every time I hear they are about to strike or do strike, I say that’s another year I can not take my kid to a game. I would love to but its far to expensive for the thrill of the game.. and DON”T even get me started on the cost of getting there and then the food.
    To just go and sit for a few hours with nothing it will still cost you over $100 for two people. You need to have some water to drink and since we can not bring in any food and drink we have to buy some water..
    Souvenirs forget it.. a t-shirt can cost you over $40 dollars, hats well last I saw they were over $25. Lets see approx cost to go to a sporting event these days lets see how close I get,
    GAS – $50 If you drive into the city to see the game.
    MBTA- $3.40 per person. not to bad, but there could be more cost there,
    TICKETS – $12 – $200 per ticket depending where you want to sit.
    FOOD – $3 – $35 and that’s on the low side for one person. I bet a single person could spend more.
    SOUVENERS – $ 5 – $100 for one person easily.
    Now Multiply these costs per person and its expensive,, SO GREED you bet they have been greedy for far to long and why to get richer at the expense of their fans. If fans start to drop off from going I wonder what they would all do.
    I would love to take my kid to a sporting event, But if its going to cost me over $100 with food for two and sitting in descent seats instead of the nose bleed areas, then forget it.. No I do not like the nose bleed areas,to high for me.

3. Quizplz says:

This has nothing to do with greed. Its has to do with matter of principle. If they let the owners walk over them now then their future is at risk. Stopping using greed as a cop out. Without greed our society would perish within days.

1. BostonResident says:

QuixPlz.. Principle? Yeah Right! Most likely players are all on steroids.. That’s good principle??? The need (greed) for more is appalling. It is not like they are starving and dont have a roof over their bloated head.All they have to do is see what is going around them with people struggling to put food on the table…

I agree 100% with John Keller..

4. foultalk says:

I’m sick of the fights between billionaire owners and millionaire players. The true losers in the NBA lockout are the fans and businesses. Check out the rest of my thoughts here: http://foultalk.wordpress.com

5. tsal says:

It is only a small part of what this nation is facing. Greed – and it is greed that has toppled every great power. The true losers are the American people.

6. DoverDavid says:

Once again were shown how we as a society have placed a warped sense of value over the common ball. Whether it is a football, basketball, baseball, soccer ball or tennis ball, if you can throw or catch this ball with any amount of skill and accuracy, we will pay through the nose and worship you until your turn against us. They make millions and billions because we as a society continue to pay what they charge us because we worship the ball and those who are skilled with its handling.

7. Ron says:

Well Said everyone

8. gigi says:

Here’s a thought: instead of feeding into their multi-million dollar paychecks by buying the outrageously priced tickets, go to your local pub or restaurant, and watch the game with the family there. No it is not as exciting as actually being there, but the food is better, drinks cheaper, and patroning the local shop owner keeping him in business while still having family time! Maybe the huge sport conglom’s will get the hint when people stop paying exorbitant fees for a sport that is supposed to be ‘fun’!

9. yamstar1 says:

Are the players part of the 1%. I say yes. How about an Occupy NBA? Maybe the players can show their solidarity with the “99%-ers”. Wait, won’t work because there’s no place to park the Bentleys. Any professional sport is no different than any other entertainment venue, movies, stage shows etc… We as a society have decided to allow the players, and owners to think they’re much more important than they really are. They can throw stones at one another all they want and stew in the lost revenue. Spend your entertainment dollars elsewhere.

10. Marty says:

I enjoy watching basketball but whatever, if they want to be greedy little rich kids, let them be that way, there are other things to do and the pats and the Bs will keep us entertained!!

I am very interested to know what will come of the “4 billion dollar” business that it seems is going down the tubes?? What will that money be diverted to? Stay in regular folks pockets? Go get Bs or Pats season tickets instead?? Will that have any impact on the economy, either positive or negative??? I’m sure the new garden and the concession workers aren’t too happy about it!!

11. emom says:

Didnt they do this last year or the year before. Or was it another sports group,,, It seems every year one of them go on some sort of strike for more money. I think I will wait till the end of the season when all their stuff thats in stores are on discount… Might not be in season But its still something from the season..

1. gigi says:

it was this past year and football – it got resolved just before the season started.

12. mikey says:

Show me the money – America today. Pathetic.

13. The Batman says:

The best way to put a screeching halt to this insanity is to stop buying up all the sports teams merchandizing paraphanelia, stop buying tickets and attending sporting events, boycott any sponsor who buys advertising time during a televised event, etc. But because the people in this country can’t go a single day without some type of sporting event to watch or listen to it will never happen. All that will happen is that people will continue to grouse and complain because of the high cost of attending these events due to the greed of both the owners and the players.

14. andyme says:

Doea anyone really miss the NBA?

1. tsal says:

I’d miss football. Maybe these players should do what the golfers do – earn their winnings

15. Peter M. Arel says:

NBA IS, INDEED, ONE LEAGUE THAT SHOULD BE IMPOVERISHED,AND IT WILL BE, WHEN FANS CAN NO LONGER AFFORD TO WATCH THE GAMES BECAUSE TICKET PRICES ARE THROUGH THE ROOF! The NBA IS ALREADY IMPOVERISHED BECAUSE THERE IS NO PARITY IN THE LEAGUE. There are lots of things for casual fans to do when NO NBA GAMES are being played. THIS STUPID LOCKOUT MUST SOMEHOW BE MADE TO COST THE NBA PLAYERS AND OWNERS BIG-TIME! The people who work at these arenas must somehow be cared for;visiting restaurants and sports bars is a good start.ARENAS SHOULD FEATURE CONCERTS, ICE SHOWS, HOCKEY GAMES, etc., INSTEAD OF NBA GAMES.

16. Peter M. Arel says:

Only when fans TAKE A STAND TO “STOP PAYING RANSOM TO KIDNAPPERS” BY BOYCOTTING THE NBA AND EVERYTHING ASSOCIATED WITH IT WILL WE SEE ANY IMPROVEMENT IN THE NBA!Restaurant owners should JOIN WITH THE FANS to come up with suggestions and ideas as to what kind of events should be booked at the arenas when NO NBA GAMES ARE BEING PLAYED. Make the NBA PLAYERS AND OWNERS PAY DEARLY FOR THEIR GREED!

17. Peter M. Arel says:

The NBA SUCKS! If it were to go down the toilet I wouldn’t miss it at all!That the FANS DO NOT NEED THE NBA IS THE MESSAGE THAT SHOULD BE SENT TO THE OWNERS AND PLAYERS-AND COMMISSIONER DAVID STERN! CITIES -and this includes the arena owners, their employees, restaurant owners and THEIR employees(ditto for the owners and employees of sports bars in the immediate vicinity of the arenas where NBA games are played)SHOULD JOIN THE CASUAL FANS IN A LOCKOUT OF THE NBA AFTER EVERY WORK STOPPAGE THAT PUTS THESE BUSINESSES IN DANGER OF GOING UNDER AND PUTS THE PEOPLE EMPLOYED AT THESE ARENAS, RESTAURANTS AND SPORTS BARS IN DANGER OF LOSING THEIR JOBS!

18. Peter M. Arel says:

Here are a few things fans can do when there are NO NBA games being played:

1.Get groups together to go bowling, play basketball, or just get exercise by walking through malls, parks(weather permitting),etc.
    2. Visit restaurants and/or sports bars often so that they can still be productive even when no games are being played.