Mass. Power Outages Down To 143,000

BOSTON (CBS/AP) — More than 143,000 Massachusetts homes and business are still in the dark five days after an October nor’easter whacked the state, and top officials are losing their patience.

National Grid reported Thursday afternoon that more than 79,000 of its customers are without electricity.

Western Massachusetts Electric Co. says about 64,000 customers don’t have power.

NStar says less than 300 of its customers are without power and are expected to be back online later Thursday.

Gov. Deval Patrick on Wednesday expressed frustration with the pace of power restoration.

Attorney General Martha Coakley has called for a formal investigation into the restoration efforts and how prepared the utilities were for the storm.

(TM and © Copyright 2011 CBS Radio Inc. and its relevant subsidiaries. CBS RADIO and EYE Logo TM and Copyright 2011 CBS Broadcasting Inc. Used under license. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. The Associated Press contributed to this report.)

Comments

1. gramps says:

“No power yet”?……Blame ‘Beacon Hill’ & the DPU, not the Utilities!….

Ever notice those ‘double poles & the partial poles suspended in the air?Our ‘Pol’s in concert with the DPU have been looking the ‘other way’ for decades as far as enforcing pole removal regulations!

There was a time, not so long ago, that when a pole needed replacement…..It was replaced, completely!

The utilities had a work force large enough for it’s work load….So, when a storm hit these crews were put on restoring service to the ‘customer’…

The ‘utilities’ slowly started to reduce their work force by cutting the # of ‘recon crews’, which intern, improved their ‘bottom line’……

“THEY REPLACED THEIR SKILLED, SERVICE PROVIDING WORKERS, WITH BEACON HILL LOBBYISTS”!

Making the utilities do the ‘whole job’ by completely removing old infrastructure will bring their workforce back up to ‘snuff’ so we won’t need to depend on Alabama, West Virginia et al for service!

Rate Payers are not just paying for the out of state crews to restore their service but also their hotel/motel rooms plus 3 squares a day!….Just so these “Utilities can increase the return to stockholders”.

If ‘Deval’ wants answers, he only has to look in the mirror blame himself & the ‘POL’s of yesteryear.

Don’t let them ‘cut & kick’ a pole for more than 30 days!

gramps

1. curious says:

I don’t understand why folks like you aren’t running for something other then at the mouth. If you think you know how to fix everything, then why aren’t you running for some kind of office?

2. adarc says:

Gramps you are right. I’ve lived in Mass my whole life and prior to the year 2000 the only time I remember losing power for days on end was during the blizzard of 78. Contractors (especially contractors from another state) are not the same thing as full time workers. You get what you pay for.

As for curious… may you should actually read what is being said, and maybe you will learn something.

1. tsal says:

Interesting comment except I have lived in MA all of my life and remember many power outages. It’s how I learned to love them. And the town I lived in had underground wires. Go figure. I personally would like to thank the workers from the other states – and I have! They’ve left their homes to help us.

2. tsal says:

adarc – are you suggesting that the utilities staff to an emergency? What would they do with the extra workers for the 99% of the time that we do not have an emergency situation?

3. gramps says:

They can use their workforce & obey the Mass rules & ‘regulations’ by removing the ‘double poles’ like they supposed to & used to do!

gramps….PS

Maybe put some of your ‘occupires’ to work….If they can handle it & hopefully they’ll show up on time!

4. tsal says:

Double wood should be replaced and utilities should be held accountable since it is MA law that it be removed within 90 days (I believe). I do not think the double wood had anything to do with the problem we are facing. The problem was simply the fact that we have an unusual amount of leaves remaining on the trees for late October. That coupled with an historic snow full of water is what has caused the problem. The same thing happened back in March of 1984 and amazingly people didn’t complain – they prepared. Every person without power should have prepared since we were warned repeatedly for days before the storm arrived. Time, in this instance, to blame yourself, learn from your mistake, and prepare next time. It’s New England – we have weather events – there will be a next time. It’s amazing that people say they do not want government to interfere in their lives yet scream at government for not taking care of them when in fact they should have taken care of themselves.

I do not believe a utility can staff for an emergency – no business can. Was the occupy comment intended to be funny or pertinent?

3. gramps says:

The staffing level in March of ’84’ compaired to todays is dramaticaly different!….It’s one reason that this country is in the shape it’s in!

Job loss, due to cutting corners, ignoring ‘municipal rules’, NAFTA & College’s only teaching the ‘Bottom Line’/profit & ‘NOTHING’ about the ‘Service end’ of Business, any Business.

gramps……PS

1. tsal says:

I’m not sure I understand If staffing levels were better in 1984 why were many places out of power far longer than this?

2. curious says:

Yes, complaining about everything is getting everyone’s power turned back on. As I said before, why aren’t you running for something besides at the mouth? Maybe you have plenty of money to afford increased utitily bills for the added coverage “in case” another emergency hits us in the next couple of years, but I say do what you have to do when it is needed. I for one am grateful that I still had a home to come to even if it was cold, and able to buy non-perishable food to have on hand. Some people don’t even have that. Our town was hit hard with the tornado this year and many of those folks hit hard during that time are still without a home. So, find fault all you want or be thankful for what you do have.

1. tsal says:

well said curious. Perhaps read about the folks in VT who were literally ignored after Irene since all workers were centered in MA, NY, CT and further south. Read about Waterbury VT where they didn’t stand around complaining when they lost their homes. Instead they rolled up their sleeves and helped each other. People came from all over the state as well as from out of state. Their situation was a disaster. Ours is an inconvenience. And yet they handled it so much better.

1. jeffsmom says:

so true, so true well said…. also i recently heard about Brimfield Mass (think that is the name) Tornado in June, Irene in August and now this storm– wonder how they are doing

3. jeffsmom says:

okay having lived during the power outage in Central Massachusetts in 2008 and seeing NOTHING happen to Unitil the service provider do folks honestly think something will happen to nstar or whoever the company is. my bills still skyrocket and yes Unitil is one of the most expensive in the state. They are killing us with higher rates to recoup the losses. Be aware everyone your rates will increase .. i feel for all that have had to deal with this and still recall the nightmare of December 2008 when power was out 2 1/2 weeks in my town

4. emom says:

I have lived in New England all my life , and remember many power outages. Some last only a few hours to as many as 4 days. Each I remember hearing or saying when will the power come back. However when I was a child it didn’t matter We had plenty to keep us occupied. But as an adult we get bored .. I have seen power failures in all kinds of weather, Hurricanes, from accidents,,, Nor’easters and blizzards, Hurricane Gloria , we lost power, it ripped trees down and thus hitting major power lines, Blizzard of 78 oh that was for almost a week, and the no name storm of 1997 that was 3 or 4 days and I had a newborn. but we made do.
    But over the years utility companies have cut their work force back, all to safe revenue for those in a higher position. Think about it, the CEO’s make big bucks but do nothing, then the workers that were left where stretched thin, so they struck, does anyone remember that. I do ,,, they had to call in crews from another state to handle the problems, and it happened more than once. In the end what happened… they received more money better benefits, although most of them had a very sweet benefit pack before. BUT WAIT whats this,,,, our bills mysteriously went up became news and an outrage started,,, the utility companies stated DUE TO HIGHER COST WE MUST RAISE OUR RATES,,, Of I get that , things do go up,,,, BUT EVERY YEAR, on one year twice in the same one year period. this is nothing new.
    Meanwhile double and triple poles are still out there, wrapped with thin wire, wires stretched tight between such poles because they didn’t have enough to span between them. so over the years the poles lean. some very bad. then the trees , as a kid I use to see the phone company and electric come together trim the trees and move on,, they worked together,,, always, now they wont, and say its up to the other company to fix it REALLY,,,,, if the trees reach the top lines where the electric lines are, no one can touch the trees,,, for fear of being electrocuted. So instead when we now have to enforce out of state and out of country electric companies to come and aid us when a problem arises,,
    Truth is we will pay higher rates because of it… after all someone must foot that bill they don’t come willingly and or free.. they get paid far more than our own companies. To these out of towners its Christmas for them. If they DID have the crews to maintain and manage their lines I am sure there would be far less power outages, loss of cable and phones over all,, in the last 20 years the trees have grown above the lines, now causing serious issues. its high time to MAINTAIN their lines preserve quality of serve to their customers and stop bickering about getting yet another pay raise….. Just wait it will come,,, after a major outage and crisis some will complain they are over worked and under paid… if they manage to get a raise be prepared to scream and yell as your bills go thru the roof ,,, and in the economy we are in at this moment,,, I am not sure that would be wise.. to many can not afford much and we will see many sacrifice some things for what they feel is far more important EATING… JUST SAYING.

5. response says:

does anyone think the number of 147K is accurate?
    how do they know?
    most of chelmsford still out, pepperell, westford.
    How do we know the number is accurate?

I hope these people get their power back soon. i feel for them. we were without for almost two weeks after the ice storm

6. bonnie edwards says:

if alot of you din’t have power likes those of us that don’t you would be upset too. day 5 and i still haven’t seen a truck anywhere around my home. thank god they brought in other states because nat grid can’t do it alone. if they put more worker on it might help but the ceo’s won’t make as much money on bonuses

1. tsal says:

Bonnie – no it would not bother me – it’s just power and I was ready for far more than the days I didn’t have it.

1. Willow says:

Exactly, tsal. People need to be prepared. I agree that perhaps the utility companies should be better prepared, but they can only do so much, and who could have expected a storm like this so early in the season while the trees were all still full. I still have friends with no power and they are dealing with it day by day and doing what they have to so they can at least go to work each day. They are thankful for at least being able to maintain a paycheck. No matter how wrong forecasts have been in the past, it’s still better to prepare, prepare, prepare.

7. emom says:

That’s the problem,, CEOs making far to much to sit in luxury offices, having huge bonuses and have great perks, all while they lay off workers over the last decade.. ALL IN THE NAME OF GREED,, OH wait isn’t that part of the occupy Boston and other cities.. HHHMMM think that’s part of it… GREED has created most of the problem, ahh but most of this greed trickles down to government, they are the ones that allow these companies to raise your rates, sacrifice workers, leaving poles hanging up in the sky and tying poles with wired or putting a block under it.. Yeah like that seems safe… Because of their greed they had to call in other companies. Now what if there was a black out that took many states by surprise , oh lets say due to a huge storm, or some solar event.. JUST SAYING… then what,,, they cant call in the troops, they would be busy as well. SO what will they have to do,,,, That’s the problem they have not thought beyond that.. Only their greedy ways. So in the end customers are still with out power , have not seen a truck and the fear that it will be days before they do , is that not enough to call in the attorney general for some investigation on this I would think they should start now.. I am sure they would discover alot of problems, if they look hard enough.. I do hope these people get their power soon,, its cold out their and that is no way for people to live.

1. Willow says:

Emom, I hear what you’re saying, and understand about corporate greed, but this storm took us all by surprise, and it was up to us to be better prepared. Sure, many things could and should be done with utility companies, but right now blaming everyone from the government down doesn’t help people to deal with the day to day trials. Heaven forbit what would happen if we ever suffer a tragedy like an eartquake, etc, where we would probably have no power for months? We have to think about those things because it could happen. How would we handle something of that magnitude if a couple of days with now power has us all so upset. Thank goodness we are not experiencing temperatures in the 20’s during this time. There are many, many more things that could have been far worse.

8. Ted says:

I’m one of those still without power and I was prepared. But, when I call National Grid and they tell me “My computer is telling there is a truck on the scene on your street right now.” and there is no truck anywhere and has been no trucks all week THAT’s when I have a problem.

1. Willow says:

Ted, did you call them directly back and let them know that there were no trucks where they said they should be? I don’t want to be lied to either.

2. tsal says:

Ted don’t blame you for wondering when you don’t see a truck. The lines that typically service are area are never seen because the lines are convoluted and you’d never know that the areas are connected. We never see the trucks but the power comes on just the same. Have you gone out to find a truck/team? By the second day I was “best friends” with them. I never did more than ask politely and I thanked them for their work. We may not have had power but we had beds and were not working around the clock.

9. adarc says:

emom, I’m not sure where you are from in New England, but here in the Boston Metro area, we were without power during Hurrican Gloria for about 10 hours, and Hurricane Bob knocked out power for about one day, and these were major hurricanes. Because the lines are not being maintained regularly, and because we have to wait for teams from out of state, we are routinely (several times a year) having power outages that last for days, over nothing more than tropical storms or snow storms. I think when you choose to live miles from anywhere in Vermont or Northern Maine, that is perhaps expected, and you plan for it by buying a generator. But when you live 1/2 hour outside of Boston it isn’t expected, and it isn’t acceptable. Many people who don’t have the option of buying/installing a generators are still without power.
    How are they supposed to “be prepared”? How does an apartment dwelling family of four “prepare” to be without heat or hot water for a week? Where do they store their “emergency” food? How do they stay warm? For those who are further away from the city and who rely on well-water, they not only don’t have heat, they don’t have any water at all, nothing to drink or flsh the toilet with. I’m not saying we never lost power when I was kid, I am saying it was a rare and memorable occurence. In the last year alone, it has happened four times in my town, and never once did we get the “brunt” of the storm.

1. Willow says:

adarc, are there no emergency shelters in which to shower, have a hot meal and stay warm in your area? There are always options, but you have to look for them.

2. tsal says:

adarc – see my comments below. IMHO yhou should have supplies on hand at all times to last at least a week. We do. There is tons of food that is nonperishable and water comes in bottles. If you have town/city water you didn’t run out. If you have well you fill your tubs and use it to replenish your toilet.

We lost power in 1984 – before Gloria – for well over a week in a snow storm. Like emom I’ve lost it multiple times through the decades I’ve lived in MA.

Where in the boston metro area are you that you lose power regularly? I’ve lived in that area for my entire life and worked in the area as well and don’t know of anyone who loses power on a regular basis. WE have had one tropical storm, one series of tornadoes and this freak snowstorm. That’s mother nature at her best.

3. emom says:

adarc, I have lived in Boston but was young so I do not remember much about power outages But I know we had them as I hear mom & dad complain,,, I do remember when there was ice on the arbor way many cars hit many poles causing a power outage for 2 days… back in the early 70’s.. it was really bad… But I live on the south shore and trust me I have seen many outages, I remember both those hurricanes, One of them we lost power for 2 days the other was only a day.. we had water and food, My dad always made sure we had access to it.. But I also remember 1978’s blizzard it took so many by surprise and well being prepared for that nobody was.
      But what you states is my point how can most prepare for such storms or disasters they can not. I didn’t say anything about them being prepared that was another poster,, the only thing most could do to prepare for future storms, is have some shelf stable food some water and batteries for flashlights and a radio… other than that they must grin and bear it ,,, that’s why I feel its become more than most should ever bear,,,, we pay our bills to have nothing ,, and get no answers on how to solve these …. I totally understand what you say since people living in the city can not prepare enough especially if it meant to save their lives… These companies are well aware there is a problem with the lines and they refuse to fix these issues but are far more willing to raise our rates and charge us high rates and give us no service.. therefore that is unacceptable for them to do that to all of us…
      Again I feel bad for those that do not have any power, water or heat,, its vital for survival,,

1. tsal says:

emom – we had four days notice on this storm. That is plenty of time to prepare. In 1978 we also had notice – most just ignored it.

10. emom says:

Lets see , better prepare ourselves HHMM, ok for some its possible, but that is not the case for the thousands that would not have much in the way to prepare…city folks can only prepare so much. If you are fortunate enough to have a fireplace, wood stove then maybe… But for those that rely on electricity for pumps and heat then there is no preparing.. Inly hunker down and grin and bear it. HOWEVER the greed these company CEOs have displayed for decades have created most of the problems we must endure. 33 years ago we had a storm that most could never have imagine,, but it happened.. AHHH but then there were crews aplenty, But because it was a storm that hit suddenly we learned from it… SO why is it that all these companies have not learned from such events, but in the last 2 years alone we have seen major devastation that seems to have been preventable.. The tornado was extraordinary.. Seen way to many of them in my life time. Earthquakes well how would anyone predict them, But lets see only one was so bad west that caused a national disaster.,
    Over all, these companies should have at least come up with a plan of action to tackle such devastation prior to any storm that we would get.. This is New England and we see strange storms,, so should that not give priority in fixing the problems,
    I would rather see a plan of action to correct such issues instead of seeing them just flap their gums in response to the outrage.. talk is cheap , action is far better , but they seem to believe they don’t need to do anything.. I say they are wrong, ask all those with out power and having no way to fix it themself,, preparing for such a storm, Hmm ok we hear that too… But how do you prepare for no heat and water… there are only so many shelters that could house these people and not everyone could house them in their home … so far to many would still be with out… Luck to those that had heat and water because your homes have wood stoves and fireplaces, Most do not have those…. Sorry if this sounds harsh, but sadly its reality,
    What will happen when the temperatures drop to 30 , 20 or below zero and we are faced with this again.. The ice storm was bad and temps were low ,,, tell them to prepare, when no one had any idea of what was coming,,, a total surprise to many…
    I have been thru many kinds of storms and near disasters, have had family that have been thru many of them as well. And in almost all cases there is only so much you can prepare for such a storm… if power is lost you will only have to hold out till someone decides to get it fixed and properly. Those are the hard facts… corporate greed allowed to get away with what they do , well sorry that is part of the problem.. lack of a work force has created a short fall which then requires them to call in other companies ,,,
    Like I said GOD FORBID, a natural disaster should happen that takes many states by surprise,, Who will come to our rescue, over seas,, Like that will ever happen and if so HOW LONG WILL IT TAKE THEM TO GET HEAR. It would take most a week to come to our rescue.. how would you prepare for something of that magnitude and especially if the weather was not on our side..
    I do not feel we can ever be totally prepared no matter what is thrown at us….

1. roudydowdy says:

Canada would only take a few hours to come to our rescue.

2. tsal says:

emom – while I agree with your comments on corporate greed I do not feel this was avoidable or had to do with greed And I do believe everyone can prepare. You have blankets. You make ice and bag it and buy bags of ice. You gather blankets. You fill your tub with water to use in your toilet. You get cash out of ATMs that might lose power and gas up your cars. You fill your coolers with ice – it was cold enough outside to sustain food as it was. You have a small grill – even in Boston my son can use one. Or yuo get a portable pot with a canister you can light. If for some reason you absolutely cannot use a grill, you buy cold food and food that does not spoil. There is not one instance where you cannot IMHO prepare for a loss of power for far longer than a couple of weeks. We just choose not to. There was at least four days warning. It’s the first time I ever remember every one of the main stations meteorologists agreeing and all of the stations saying the storm could rival the ice storm of 2008.

And if all else fails EVERY town set up a shelter.

11. emom says:

the problem with shelters is overcrowding,, and when you have a problem of this magnitude well some will get turned away,,, It has happened ,,, to be honest, not every town has enough shelters, some schools sure, but if your town does not have anything bigger than a school well there will be a problem.. I do agree on being prepared however, There are so many that would not be able to store as much as someone with a house . I have been fortunate since my dad was a scout leader and he taught us plenty of survival.. I now teach my child much of the same, But for those just not knowing what to do we can not blame them for that… Try telling someone to prepare for a tornado ,, that is not going to happen… How about a earthquake in and area never hit by one ,,, why would they prepare for it.. and we have seen earthquakes in areas that have never had one. Floods, the are mostly a surprise in many areas, there are many that would never need to prepare for such disasters if they did its because they are paranoid of the end.. sorry but for many its not as easy… If you have a plan of action for your area then that’s good, But anyone that moves here may not realize just what they are in for… Example I was in California earthquake zones… BUT not areas get bad ones, only tremors,,, So I was unprepared when one hit at a 6.0 it took all by surprise,, and this was back in the 70’s.. then in Arizona, been there many times during the summer, on my last trip we were hit by many Haboo’s (forgive the spelling) Dust storms.. I must say I was prepared for that. my cousin helped me there.. But they sneak up on people and take you by surprise.. so preparing is only as good as what you can have and by that I would state l, blankets for cold, flashlights , radios, plenty of batteries, shelf stable food, water,,, and your medicine and some cash.. Other than that you can not stay to warm, and if its 4 -6 feet of snow, pouring out and extremely windy,,, you are willing to leave your home when you are advised to stay put… risking ones life is foolish at best,, finding a shelter would not be in the plan and if you manage to find one they could be full,, something to think about in higher populations,, especial the closer the winter comes with so many homeless taking up these shelters

12. tsal says:

emom – my brother in law heads disaster planning in CA and if you were in that area and not prepared it had to have been a very long time ago. We have enough supplies in our house to last a week along with emergency meds. We rotate them regularly. And when shelters fill others are opened. I have never heard of one turning a person away.

The bottom line is that three are resources all over the place on how to be prepared for an emergency. There are always exceptions – this was NOT one of them. If people put one quarter of the time into preparing that they do complaining or making excuses that are unfounded, they’d be in really good shape.

13. Willow says:

Amen, tsal. I just about said the same thing in a comment, but it didn’t post. You said it for me. Thanks.

14. Enough says:

All the talk of prepared….. my GENERATOR died day 2, fix it shops quoting OUTRAGEUOS prices to fix, sometimes you have to wait a few days for them….. trying to buy ANOTHER generator (all with money I just don’t have readily available in this economy) and wow expensive, plus gas to run the generator, worrying about frozen pipes (which is SERIOUS DAMAGE, fyi to those who say “prepare”), and hoping not to have to waste anymore food like I did in August, because I can’t afford to throw away food in this economy. In August they started west and worked east, so the east coast got power last – yet they kept saying Norwell was one of the hardest hit for power loss. How is that logical? Towns with their own municapal power co barely lost power, perhaps because they have a smaller area to manage and be more familiar with, while the large companies can’t handle the massive areas they cover and aren’t familiar with! Oh and I was told so many different stories every time I called, was even told not to go by the website because that was “inaccurate”. Ridiculous!

1. tsal says:

Enough – We don’t have a generator. I actually enjoy the adventure of a power outage and would probably toss my husband out on his head if he mentioned getting one :) If I had one (ewwwww) I’d definitely plan on being prepared if and when it broke.

1. gramps says:

Ya, lot’s of fun……

NORTH BROOKFIELD (CBS) – An 86-year-old woman has died in her North Brookfield home….Dorothy M. Hall lost power around 5:30 on Saturday night, and it’s still out.

She was found wrapped in a blanket in a living room chair…..

2. The Batman says:

It seems like some people have a propensity for only reporting the part of a story that furthers their ludicrous point. This woman died because her 59 year old son who lived with her was either too stupid or didn’t care enough about his mother to take her to a shelter that was set up in a large regional high school just a few miles away that was taking people like her in so that she could be warm, have a place to sleep out of the cold and a hot meal. Blame her son for this woman’s death and not the cold. This tragedy was totally avoidable.

3. Enough says:

how do you heat your house without power? I worry sick over my pipes freezing, saw that happen to someone and it wrecked their house.
        generators are loud and smelly (expensive to run and fix) but have to keep the house (pipes) warm

4. tsal says:

i saw that the woman tragically died and she died from stupidity because no one got her to where she should be. I figured someone would be foolish enough to blame the utilities so am not surprised and am not surprised at all by the source. There is no excuse for this woman having died. Such a needless, tragic loss..

Enough, it’s not cold enough to freeze your pipes and if it were – drain them. Does anyone here use even a small amount of common sense.

While you were complaining, did you stick your head outside today? It was in the low 60s – you’d be wearing T-shirts if this were summer. I just came in from sitting on the deck. Good grief this gets more ridiculous by the minute.

5. The Batman says:

Enough I agree with you that frozen pipes can be a concern but fortunately this was not the dead of winter with temperatures in the teens. I was without power for four days and it got to forty nine degrees in my house. Even at that point the danger of frozen pipes is virtually nonexistent. But as a safeguard run the water for a few minutes every couple of hours as a preventative measure and flush the toilets around the same time frame. Without an alternate heat or power source that is the most effective thing that you can do.

6. tsal says:

enough – btw – generators will not keep your pipes warm – the water is in the pipes and could freeze whether you have a generator or not. Check with your heating company or a plumber We had to drain ours several times – years ago – you know when the utilities were still functioning according to some here – because of prolonged power outages.

15. Enough says:

misspelling on “municipal”

16. merimack says:

Just got my power back today. It was a great experience. I cooked for my neighbors as my food was thawing. We got together and shared stories, fun and games.

This is New England, in the sprig of 1977 my high school was closed for a week for a similar storm. The power companies do what they can. As fast as they can.

Some will find it harder than others to deal. That is why we all need to pitch in and help each other. Grin and look forward for tomorrow.

1. tsal says:

Well said merrimack – standing ovation!!!!

2. Nab71 says:

Hi tsal

Just got my power back about an hour ago. Half of town is still out, but I agree with much of what you said. It happens!! People need to plan for contingencies and not blame everyone else. Since the storm forecast sounded bad I put some firewood in my garage to feed my woodstove and fireplace. My family, along with two other families stayed warm at my place.

Given the scope of the outages I think the power companies have done an good job. Someone has to be first, someone last. Unfortunately, as I’ve said before, a large portion of our society cannot deal with problems not being solved immediately. Still a video game mentality. I shudder to think how they’ll react in a real emergency.

1. tsal says:

Hi Nab – glad your power is back. A lot of my community is still out. We actually would not have had power yet except a neighbor cried wolf and threatened to sue to the utility company because her mom is on oxygen. She neglected to mention that her mom had moved to her brother’s house where there was power. I just shake my head when this happens. The crews did what they thought was best even though they were not scheduled to do our street and perhaps took help away from someone who truly needed them.

17. NC linemans wife says:

Adarc, Gramps, and anyone else who cares to read-

If you don’t want the out of state linemans up there helping out, I will gladly take my husband back. He drove straight there, from North Carolina, as soon as he got the call, which came late in the evening, all night and started work in the morning with no sleep. He has worked 20 hour days since being there, and yesterday got hit head on by a car trying to pass another line truck from another company. If you dont want the help, I will GLADLY take him back! Maybe you should thank them for leaving their families, friends, and daily lives to help out. My husband could not even turn my power on after Irene and I was with out power for 10 days and the power company that turned mine on was from out of state….instead of being upset it took so long…..I thanked them and made coffee and sandwiches, Maybe you should stop and think before speaking and be prepared for the worst and hope for the best,

1. gramps says:

Evening Ms. last….

You need help…

‘Redheads!

gramps

2. merimack says:

NC linemans wife

Thank you and your husband.

3. gramps says:

Morning last,

You stated:…”I will GLADLY take him back! ”

Ya right!

You forgot to mention that you BETTER HALF is making $35 to $60 bucks an hour depending on weather or not it’s an ‘OVERTIME’ hour….

On those 20 hour days he’s making , on average, $600 bucks for hours # 9 through 20….&…..$280 for the 1st 8 hours….

Those are $880+ dollar days!

AKA….$6500.00 a week, not too shabby!

I’ll bet you had his bags packed in record time, gave him a ‘smooch’ & sent him off to the ‘MOTHER LOAD’! B’4 he knew what hit him!

Take your ‘OWN’ advice when you said:

“Maybe you should stop and think before speaking”

“Toodles”

gramps

1. NC linemans wife says:

Gramps,

Unlike you, I am not greedy. I would rather have my husband here than the money. My husband spending time with my 3 year old and 6 month old is more important to me than any amount of money.

My husband is not making $25-$60 dollars an hour for you information….his pay is much less…..so like I said….think before you speak. There are still people in the world that could liveon very little, and still live a very happy life on what they have….and I can proudly say I am one of those.

I am starting to feel sorry for you. From your postings you seem like a very unhappy person….and I feel sorry for you.

2. gramps says:

Again you’re wrong, or he’s holding out on you!

He, along with all other imports are making the going rate in MA, if it’s higher than their home garage.

NC is a ‘Right to work State’ which is why his pay is so low…

See you in church…

gramps

3. tsal says:

If that is all he’s making an hour then he’s being woefully underpaid. If we had all of these people on the payroll permanently it would cost a whole lot more than for the occasional problems. Yes, we have had an unusual amount of problems this year but before that it was not even once per year.

NC linemans wife – as I said please know that we greatly appreciate your husband and everyone else from out of state being here to help. I always get a good feeling when I drive by a truck from another area. Neighbors – whether next door or from the next state – are what we should count on. And one bitter person is not representative of people in Massachusetts. I hope your husband returns safely soon!!!

4. tsal says:

NC Linemans wife – please disregard the bitter and miserable people – I truly believe they do not represent the majority. I cannot thank you your husband enough for the help and support. I stopped the trucks as they rolled away from our street to thank them. Everyone should do the same.

1. gramps says:

“Ingnorance is bliss”

How long have you been talking to yourself?

gramps

18. emom says:

I understand that having your family member leave you to go to work for another state,, Something that has only been happening in the last few years here in the north east… I do not remember hearing we had out of state companies coming in to fix our problems.. Sure I know it had been done but in areas like the mid west… My only problem is the companies here in this state that have created the need to depend on other states and Canada.. I do appreciate them leaving their families,,, Again only have an issue with the companies lack of preparedness because of their greed and the facts that they have laid off workers over the last decade ,,, If we had more linemen here I wonder if we would not have as much problems because they would be able to go around and take down trees and repair wires that are in need of repairs,,
    On the preparedness side,, I wonder if many have the knowledge of what to do ,, I agree some preparing is needed BUT, how many truly know what to do.. after all its not as if there is a master list out there, we take for granted that anyone living here in NEW ENGLAND is expected to know what to do … I wonder how many would know what to do in other parts of the country,,, A very small very well could know ,,, But for the majority they would have little knowledge on survival.. This is not 30 years ago where many would have had some experience with survival,, like scouts . or other teachings,, I was fortunate since My dad was a scout , I was a scout and that I had learned how to live in the wilderness. To some extent it helped me to be prepared, But so many folks today are from the city , but later moves to the suburbs and the country, and well some have very little knowledge of the area and what to expect,,, Maybe instead of tearing them down for their lack of being prepared lets educate them instead…
    We speak of helping our neighbors how about help them in the knowledge of what to do , by being prepared with the knowledge on survival.. How to stick up with the right foods and supplies and maybe finding shelters or even know what to do…
    Maybe more would have the sense some speak of ,,, I fear most do not have the knowledge.. and only a very small amount of folks could care less….But I feel its more lack of KNOWLEDGE on their parts,,, they learn but only after it has happened to them…

1. Nab71 says:

The problem is that common sense has been replaced with a mentality that looks to others, especially the government, to take care of everything. Just wait until you see the new regulations that will come out of this in Mass. And everyone will pay for those that want instant solutions.

1. emom says:

Nab71 That’s my point, today’s folks are on the idea of it wont happen to me and also have had the lack of KNOWLEDGE , its like the generation before them have forgotten all that was taught to them,, SO Can we blame them for unknowing having little experience with such events. Like I said some may not be originally from the north east and well have very little knowledge of what they should expect.. So that’s why maybe education for them is necessary.. However there will be some that will resist.. But I would believe many would greatly appreciate the help. I fear the younger generation and those between 20’s to 40’s may have to learn what to do , but hope someone would be willing to give them a heads up… It unfortunately does not come to all naturally, especially if they have had zero experience with it.

2. tsal says:

Nab we all have choices. We can choose to be positive and proactive or we can choose to be negative, whine and wait for someone else to help us. Neither of those choices will make the problem go away nor will they create the problem. However, the choice is always there; but it is not always as easy as it is in this case. I have seen far too many people in my life make the positive choice for something far, far worse than not having power for a handful of days.

3. tsal says:

emom – Every part of this country has disasters – in most cases far worse and less predictable than a snowstorm Every person should know how to be prepared. We as a country are far more aware of that now than we were decades ago. There is disaster planning in every corner of this country. It’s not lack of knowledge – it’s as Nab said lack of common sense.

4. The Batman says:

Nab

What I’m about to say will undoubtedly be unpopular with a great many people, probably because they will see themselves in it, but common sense, a willingness to help others even if means sacrifice, and common courtesy have been replaced with laziness, self-centerness and a general lack of concern or caring about our neighbors. Don’t get me wrong, I am not painting this label on every American because there are still many who have the first qualities I spoke of. But there is a burgeoning number of people who possess the second “qualities” I mentioned and in your hearts you all know which category you choose to belong to.

19. Willow says:

I want to thank NC Lineman’s wife for the sacrifice her and other families like her make when their loved one leaves home to help out a neighboring state. Please to listen to the ranting of one person here who seems to be overdo for a much needed psyche evaluation.

1. Willow says:

That should be “don’t” listen. Once again…thank you to your husband and others like him.

20. emom says:

For the most part lack of common sense it true,, But there are some out there that truly do not have any idea on what to do… The only reason I say that is I knew a few and well enlightened them on what they should do… they were appreciated and well as I have learned over the years there are many that just never thought about and were never giving the information of what to do and thus lived life as if it would never happened to me.. But there are many out there that go on with life and know of it but never give it a thought Those are the ignorant ones. Young folks today are in the lack of knowing since their own families took the ignorant path… Maybe some of us are blessed to have had either experiences or knowledge on survival. But in today’s world its not as easy to tell most since as some have said refuse to try or learn.. What a shame since its really easy… Actually some thought it was not really a need, boy did they learn a hard lesson. As I stated earlier its not as if there is a master list of what you should do, its kinda what you use daily list.. But most on those list are not practical and then people have issues…
    Oh and you can only help some people so much since most once again are in the belief they are far better than most… those folks I pity since they are the lack of common sense folks… I mean Why by $100 dollars in food that will only spoil with out refrigeration.. Not sure why most do that…
    Again I have appreciated the help from outside of this state… its never easy for their families,,, BUT again if the companies hire more folks we would not have to wait long periods of time before folks got their power back..

1. Willow says:

emom, thank you. You have just explained why the utility companies are not the only ones accountable for the mess we experienced this week. People need to share some responsibility for not educating themselves and being prepared, especially with the many days of notice we all had.

1. emom says:

People not being educated is one thing, the real cause is the lack of maintaining the lines in the first place, Not sure about you, But over the last 5 years or more the only time you see a line man working on a pole or wires is after an accident or because there is a new street to add wires to. if I see a nationgrid truck on the road during my travels at least twice a month I have to wonder .. I use to see trucks go to neighborhoods and replace lines, ones that are getting brittle and old. to give you and example of a problem , isolated to a street,,, a transformer blew up. now that’s serious and needs immediate repair.. it took them 3 days to fix it.. WHY.. it was sparking all over the place it could have caused a fire ,,, that would have been disastrous,,,, My point is if we had more lineman then it probably would not take so long to get power back to everyone. As for people they did not create the mess with the down wires that was mother nature and the lack of workers to correct it , people are only a problem because they feel entitled .. which is far sadder,,,

2. tsal says:

good comments emom and I think we are all pretty much saying the same thing. I do see NSTAR out in my area a lot. They were out regularly after Irene. We lost power a week after it had been restored and it was because the fix had been temporary while they waited for some transformer and circuit breaker testing. Once everything was in place they had to shut us down for a permanent fix. Our outage this time was from a tree on private property taking down the wires. The majority of power outages in this town were from the same cause.

I think your comment about the overpriced executives eliminating the jobs is accurate and it’s not just in the utility companies – its a virus throughout this entire country – and Europe. Aristocracy. Plutocracy.

21. Pat says:

I think anyone who does have power right now (like me) should keep quiet and let those who DON”T have power voice their concerns. We dont know what it’s like to not have power for a week like some of these people and an elderly woman was found dead today in Brookfield, ma because her heat has been off since LAST saturday. That to me is OUTRAGEOUS and the state should be doing MORE to protect these people in their homes. Nobody should be without heat this long and I pray for all of them that they get through this. It’s not up to us the lucky ones who have heat to dictate what people should be feeling. I’d be very upset also without heat and yes there are shelters but who wants to leave their home and go to a shelter? Especially the elderly but anyone – it’s not a pleasant experience to have to leave your home and go to a shelter. Please people have a little empathy and understanding. Let’s show suppport for these people instead of tearing them down.

1. Willow says:

Have you read your comment? It’s not a pleasant experience to go to a shelter? Dying in a cold house is? You have just condoned stupidy and stubborness in my opinion.

2. Willow says:

Since when is it the “state’s” problem if people don’t want to leave their home? The woman lived in North Brookfield, and she had a son who didn’t care enough about her to TAKE her to a warm shelter. If we as Americans don’t want to be inconvenienced, then I guess we have to suffer the consequences.

3. tsal says:

I can kind of understand your comments except that I’m not sure anyone is showing those without power a lack of understanding. If they were prepared then they should be fine. If they were not – well then it’s hard to understand and why wouldn’t it be?

What I think you may be saying is that we need to help those without power who for whatever reason were not prepared and the state is doing that by opening shelters. It may not be fun to be in a shelter but if it is a life and death situation a shelter sure beats the alternative. I also hope that people in the neighborhoods without power are helping each other. I know we did.

22. Yikes says:

Someone called National Grid today at 10am, and the voice message said “we are not open, please call during regular business hours which are 7am to 7pm”. This is lending to people’s frustration of not getting any answers!

1. tsal says:

my daughter said national grid has been calling or emailing everyone she knows. They did the same after Irene. Odd that some are having trouble and some are not. My guess is they are being swamped with hone calls and I would not expect an actual person to answer any more than I did with NSTAR when I called them to report our power being out.

NSTAR had people sitting in cars near downed wires and a person driving around coordinating. It was easy to speak with both for updates.

23. Vic says:

Stop blaming the Utilities…They do not own the trees. The trees are on the homeowners property or on city & town property where it is illegal for a citizen to trim a tree on public land. I applaud the Utility Companies. why don”t the local city & towns do there own trimming. Oh let me see they are at Dunkin Donuts, Golfing in Framingham or doing as little as possible on the public payroll. They wait for storms and when the power goes out they blame the Utility rather than look in a mirror.

24. emom says:

Its funny, If we have 4 or more days of notice of an impending weather issue, that we are to be prepared for such an event.. OK then if that is true, and I don’t totally disagree, then Why is it that the UTILITY companies are not preparing for such events,. I mean, they too have had plenty of notice, they also know that we can at any time get a storm that is unusual. So when will they as well be prepared after all it up top them to fix the problem and be sure they get folks back up and running. The longer these lines are down the greater the chance of an accident….. JUST SAYING..
    And to all that still have no power, How long should they endure not being in their home to protect it from vandals, that’s a problem that has happened before,
    I get the whole shelter thing However the closer we get to winter and if there is another problem like this again and the temperature are far lower than what we have this week I fear the shelters will fill up quickly and some may not be able to enter since they will be filled.
    Also on another note, many small towns may have shelters However they are not equipped to handle the entire town,, Sure the entire town would not be there But even 1/4 is alot and can overload them.. Lets face it, there is not enough shelters to handle entire towns, It would be grand but impractical. But I say those that should go to the shelters are the elderly, children, and those with health issues. All I am saying is look at it from a practical point of view, if possible. Many shelters can only handle so many folks , remember hurricane Katrina, look at where folks where put up, there was no a/c , food or water , no way to take a shower and sleeping in the stands was not good for anyone, That was the worst event in history.
    Plus there are many older schools that do not have generators so they are in no way able to be used as shelter, and or can not handle many folks, I know our high school can only handle a small percentage of our town. and there is no other shelters in our town,, sure we could go to another town, But they too could be filled with there own towns folks
    To some going to a shelter is what everyone should do , But how many on the last few storms have done it. I have never been to one, thankfully , But none of any of my families have either..It may seem like an excuse for most but in the end it could be a hassle and a problem,,
    Maybe a better education on how to prepare would be good, since so many younger adults seem to be lacking in the know how to do such a thing. I know a many younger couples that think its foolish to prepare so much, some have learned the hard way. Plus keeping an eye on those you know, IT’S A THOUGHT..