Local

Halloween Display May Have Sparked Cape Apartment Fire

View Comments
About 100 people were evacuated from the Hyannis House apartments. (Photo courtesy: David G. Curran/SatelliteNewsService.com)

About 100 people were evacuated from the Hyannis House apartments. (Photo courtesy: David G. Curran/SatelliteNewsService.com)

BARNSTABLE, Mass. (CBS/AP) — A fire in Hyannis that sent several people to the hospital, including one person with severe burns, is being blamed on Halloween lights.

Fire officials think the lights, which were part of a larger display, had some kind of electrical issue.  That caused a bale of hay, which was part of the display, to ignite. The fire quickly spread to the apartment building.

Several people were hospitalized suffering from smoke inhalation and stress following a four-alarm blaze.

Two police officers who helped evacuate about 100 people from the Hyannis House apartments also required treatment.

Fire officials say the blaze was first reported just after 11 p.m. on Monday and the blaze was under control by 12:30 a.m. Tuesday and some people were allowed back inside their units.

The complex is for residents 55 and older and the Red Cross was at the scene to assist those displaced.

(TM and © Copyright 2011 CBS Radio Inc. and its relevant subsidiaries. CBS RADIO and EYE Logo TM and Copyright 2011 CBS Broadcasting Inc. Used under license. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. The Associated Press contributed to this report.)

View Comments
blog comments powered by Disqus
Follow

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 2,147 other followers