NEWwbztv-small wbz-am-small 985-small mytv38web2

Local

Man Saves Neighbors From Burning Stoneham Home

View Comments
The fire gutted this home in Congress Street early Monday morning.

The fire gutted this home in Congress Street early Monday morning.

Get Breaking News First

Receive News, Politics, and Entertainment Headlines Each Morning.
Sign Up

STONEHAM (CBS) – A Stoneham man is being hailed as a hero after alerting people to a fire in their home early Monday morning.

WBZ NewsRadio 1030’s Carl Stevens reports

The three-alarm fire broke out at a two-family house on Congress Street at around 4:30 a.m.

A neighbor named Gino saw the fire, knocked down the front door, ran up to the second floor and yelled for people to get out.

All six people inside escaped safely.  No one was hurt.

“If it wasn’t for that guy, I hope I see him sometime, I got to thank him because we’d still be up there,” resident Bill O’Brien told WBZ-TV.

“You couldn’t see.  There was nothing to look at.  It was just total smoke, you couldn’t breathe.  It was brutal, actually.”

WBZ-TV’s Sera Congi reports

Gino, who wished to remain anonymous, told WBZ NewsRadio 1030 that he was in the burn unit at Massachusetts General Hospital back in July after he was in a fire.

The house is a total loss, with damage estimated at $400,000.

There’s no official word yet on a cause, but the fire chief said it’s not suspicious.

View Comments
blog comments powered by Disqus
Follow

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 2,029 other followers