PLAINVILLE (CBS) – Several people at a convenience store in Plainville were doused with a chemical powder after a fire extinguishing system went off without warning.
It happened Wednesday afternoon at the Cumberland Farms on South Street.
The system, which is above the gas pumps outside the store, showered drivers and their vehicles with a white powder known as sodium bicarbonate.
The fire department told WBZ-TV it’s not toxic, but if someone had respiratory issues there could have been a problem.
No one was seriously hurt.
WBZ NewsRadio 1030’s Ben Parker reports.
Some vehicles had to be towed away and cleaned.
There was no fire and investigators still do not know what triggered the system to go off.