Bruins Fan Progressing Slowly From Mysterious Ailment

BOSTON (CBS) – A father refuses to give up on his son after the seemingly healthy teen collapsed and is now unable to move or talk.

Michael Murphy was a healthy, athletic 14-year-old until one Saturday in June. He was waiting to meet his friends before the Bruins’ Stanley Cup parade when he suddenly collapsed.

Donate: Team Mikey

“He just collapsed, as far as we know. The doctor said it was due to a heart attack,” said Michael Murphy, the teen’s dad.

WBZ-TV’s Paul Burton reports.

The incident left Michael with a severe brain injury, and as a result, he now rehabs at Spaulding Rehabilitation Hospital six days a week.

His room at Spaulding is filled with heart-warming messages, and most noticeable is the support he’s received from the Bruins. He even has a picture with the Stanley Cup and a letter from Cam Neely.

“He’s very aware of things now. His eyes are wide open. He opens them wide all the time now. You can see the clearness in them, and he’s very alert,” said the teen’s dad.

“He doesn’t have a way to communicating at this time. We’re still working on it, and we’re trying, and that will be the sign of him emerging from where he is in his brain injury,” said Beth Szczerbinski of Spaulding Rehabilitation Hospital.

His father hasn’t left his side, and he also has not been able to work. The family has several fundraisers planned to help pay for some of the expenses.

“I do anticipate him probably going home in wheelchair. We had to sign him up for a wheelchair clinic, so the family will definitely need money for renovations to the house, because insurance usually does not pay for that,” said Szczerbinski.

Michael has been rehabbing at Spaulding for the past three weeks and while he’s making a little progress every day, the family said he still has a long way to go.

“It’s a slow process. You kind of look for more, but you take any little step you can get,” said the teen’s dad.

His dad said he prays one day his son will recover.

“I believe he will because I believe in miracles,” said teen’s dad.

Michael’s dad said he has very high expectations, but he watches his son fight everyday. As for when he might be going home, that is still very unclear.

Comments

1. Rick Bostick says:

Why does the link go to some kid from Chicago for a benefit from 2010?

2. John Johnson says:

We are The Johnson Group, building and remodeling, from Franklin, MA. We’d like to donate our labor to help the Murphy’s with the modifications to their home. We can be contacted by email at Johnsongroup7@yahoo.com

1. Ann Gibson says:

God bless you, the wonderful people of The Johnson Group! Your generosity will not go unnoticed. <3

3. Pat says:

The link to donate is for someone else…..come on folks :-(

4. Ann Gibson says:

Y’all remain in my thoughts and prayers all day, everyday. Love ya!

5. Mike Sevigny says:

Miracle for Mikey Murphy fundraiser page:

1. Dawna Murphy OHalloran says:

Thanks Mike for putting up the link…

1. Dawna Murphy OHalloran says:

Link for the August 26th Fundraiser.

6. John Murphy says:

The hyperlink has been corrected. Click on Team Mikey for information regarding the fundraiser.

7. Krystal Murphy says:

We love you Mikey ! And I’m so proud of how well you’ve been dealing with all of this Uncle Moe ! Stay strong both of you.. Wishing you the best, always.

Love, Krystal

8. Karen Murphy says:

Thank you WBZ 4 for televising the story! Stay strong Mike, Mikey and Cindy, we love you.

9. Jim Haines says:

Wow, first Matt Brown (Norwood) suffers a spinal cord injury and now this young teen has a heart attack????? Don’t understand why these things happen to young teenagers, it’s unbelievable. Praying for a speedy recovery. God Bless you Mike!

1. Cindy Murphy says:

Thank you for praying for my son!!!

10. emom says:

The fight has just begun,, God bless you all and my prays are with you all.,,, PLease do not give up, Its going to be a rough road, Stay strong in your journey. Miracles can happen.. God bless .

1. Cindy Murphy says:

Thank You!!!

11. Cindy Murphy says:

Thank you everybody for caring about our son, he’s a great boy who did not deserve this at all. Our family wouldn’t be able to cope through this whole crisis without the love and support we’ve been receiving from family, friends and even strangers. We are so grateful !!! Thanks Again!!! Mikey’s Mom, Cindy Murphy

12. Fay Kelley says:

I would like to donate, but I am not on Facebook. And I’m too old to start one.
    Is there anywhere else to donate online that is verified by the Murphy familiy?

Wicked Red

1. Dawna Murphy OHalloran says:

Hello thank you for your support. I am Mikey’s Aunt Dawna. I have also posted the information regarding the fundraiser on the Waltham Patch via this link http://waltham.patch.com/events/miracle-for-mikey-fundraiser
      or you can send donations to Michael C Murphy Charitable Account c/o Connie Murphy (Mikey’s Grandmother) 35 Marivista Ave, Waltham, MA 02451. Thank you again.

1. Fay Kelley says:

Thank you for the information! Although I won’t be able to attend the fundraiser, I still want to contribute.
        Hoping Mikey makes progress every day and will come back strong and proud!

2. Cindy Murphy says:

Thank you for your concern and support regarding our son Mikey, we have a long road ahead of us.

13. Cindy Murphy says:

Michael was recently diagnosed with a rare condition called C.P.V.T You can find more information about this on SADS.org Please have your kids checked for this devastating illness if your kids have any ot the symptoms. I would not want another Parent to go through what my husband and I are going through. Mikey is still in rehab progressing very slowly due to feeding tube issues and catching pneumonia. These setbacks delay him in getting the intense therapy that he needs

1. Fay Kelley says:

I am so sorry to hear of Mikey’s setbacks. This condition has affected him in such a horrific manner already. Setbacks surely are not fair. Still, I will hope and pray that Mikey continues his fight and will eventually win. He’s young, he has a lot to look forward to in life. Perhaps these future goals will keep him motivated!

14. Cindy Murphy says:

I was asked to leave the information about the trust fund on here since it was inaccurate before…….. Michael C. Murphy Charitable Fund C/O Connie Murphy 35 Marivista Ave. Waltham,Ma. 02451

15. Maria Teixeira says:

I just read about mikey today. I am so sorry for the pain this has brought your family. But have faith. God is good and he does miracles. My mom works for Cam Neely and I admire him even more for taking time out of his busy schedule to think of Mikey and write a letter to him. You guys will get through this and soon enough your son will be at home, where he belongs ; better than ever! Your son is in my prayers. Just remember miracles happen in mysterious ways. I thank god everyday for curing my 14 year old brother from lung cancer. God bless you, your husband, and especially Mikey!