Weather Alert Monday: Snow During Morning Commute | Details | Forecast |

Passengers Confront Mom Accused Of Hitting Infant On Crowded MBTA Bus

BOSTON (CBS) – A young mother from Boston is accused of punching her infant son in the mouth on a crowded MBTA bus.

MBTA police said they were called to the number 23 bus Tuesday around 3:30 p.m. at the intersection of Warren and Brunswick Streets.

According to the police report, a “hostile crowd” was “circled around” 25-year-old Erica Ryan and her one-year-old son.

An officer separated Ryan and her son from the crowd, but she ran away, shouting “No one is going to take away my baby!”

WBZ NewsRadio 1030’s Mark Katic reports

The officer caught up to her, but she was still screaming “No one is going to take away my baby!”

The officer calmed her down and asked her what happened on the bus.

Ryan, according to the police report, said she was trying to feed her baby on the crowded bus when her hand slipped and she “hit him in the mouth.”

In the report, the officer noted that there was dry blood around the child’s mouth and he appeared to have been crying.

Other officers arrived and spoke to passengers who insisted Ryan hit her son “with a closed fist in the mouth,” the report stated.

The group also said Ryan was swearing at her son while she was trying to feed him. They claim when the child refused to eat, she punched him in the mouth.

According to the police report, the group of passengers approached her and she allegedly became irate and told them “no one will tell me how to be a parent.”

Ryan was arrested and charged with domestic assault and battery.

She pleaded not guilty at her arraignment Wednesday in Roxbury District Court.

She was ordered held on $500 bail and ordered to stay away from her son, who was treated at Boston Medical Center . The boy is now in the custody of his grandfather.

Comments

1. Cinque says:

Just wait until her husband…..or boyfriend…..or ex-boyfriend finds out that his boy was punched in the mouth! This country is going down the tubes when 1 in 4 kids go to bed hungry and the term “single parent” is becoming the norm.

1. DaveNYUSA says:

Yeah, I am sure she even knows who it is!

2. Kim Campbell Anderson says:

thank god there are people out there not afraid to step in when it’s needed !!! that poor poor child !!! and with the system being as shorthanded as it is nowadays, he will probably end up back in the hands of his mother who is obviously incapable of caring for him properly ! from her rantings, it sounds to me like she needs help. mentally. i feel for that child.

3. Anthony says:

Let me guess here… Pregnant at the age of 14, only gave birth to try to keep the baby daddy in her life, resents having the child because it alot of hard work however she loves the child support and benefits that come with the baby. beats the child so often she forgets she is doing it in public….. fast forward 15 years and this kid is out robbing, stealing, and killing on the streets because he never experienced a real rolemodel or decent parental figure…. and we all lose as a result

1. Steve says:

She must have been pregnant a loooong time. Did you read the article at all? It said she’s 25 and the boy is 1…. how would she have been pregnant at 14?

2. sullyinma says:

Anthony,

You wrote, “Let me guess here… Pregnant at the age of 14, only gave birth to try to keep the baby daddy in her life”.

Do you even b other to read the articles before posting a message?

Go back and read the article (to see how old she is), then come back and post something relevant.

1. Matt Filipczuk says:

Haha, leave it to you liberals to try and defend the child abuser. I bet this isn’t her first child, and a majority of blacks get pregnant when they are teens.

4. denni04011 says:

Yet there are those insisting drug usage will cut down on crime. Fry the cow!

5. Terry Wood says:

I hope they take that baby away from her, she is a poor excuse for a mother.

1. Gloria says:

Ditto to that. Keep her locked up; Please…..or give the child to someone who appreciates having a child and can’t have one.

6. emom says:

I bet she learned how to be a parent from her own parents and grandparents…..she is a product of her own upbringing……. We do have alot of single parents,,,,,, however there are plenty single parents that are wonderful parents that became single parents thru no fault of there own. mine from a dissabled husband. but there are to many single parents that are not ready to be parents…… she again is a product of own upbringing. and the cycle will conyinue with the baby and any other kids she may have……..just look around and you will see what I mean

7. hthehammer says:

How refreshing to see bystanders become involved citizens! We need more of this instead of the callous indifference so often seen. Kudos to the caring citizens of Boston!

8. Arlene says:

I have to agree, congrats to the citizens who took action. In this case, they did the right thing. It seems to me that Momma needs to be taught how to care for a child —properly. Hitting a child in the face because it doesn’t want to eat is inexcusable both in public and private (home). I just pray that the baby will be all right.

1. alan says:

NEVER hit a child in the face! NEVER hit a child with a closed fist, anywhere!! NEVER hit a one year old!!!!!
      A one year old? Oh, you tough momma. You screamed “no one will ever take my baby away from me.”
      I hope they were screaming back, “you will never see your child again.”

9. jak says:

Well said Alan. She is not fit to even have a pet frog!

10. Kira Clark says:

And how many more children will this woman bring into this world?

11. Mel says:

there aas a comment about her being 14 that was made earlier – and in fact, she’s 25…well, actually, I could understand what she did more if she was 14, but at 25, if that’s the way she is behaving, she obviously has mental problems & prob very low intelligence. She looks like a confused child & prob has the mentality of one. Someone should have punched her in the mouth & said “see, thats what your baby just felt”…then maybe she would understand.

12. mary says:

you need a liscence to raise a dog…but nothing to raise a child..how very sad and age has nothing to do with it..this poor child is going to grow up knowing nothing but violence

1. Matt Filipczuk says:

You actually get food stamps and government assistance if you have a child, yet for someone like me, I don’t have any children and I have to work hard for my food and insurance. Government leeches

13. Cinque says:

Never raise your hands to your kids, it leaves your groin unprotected!!!!!!

14. Kate says:

If this b*t*h would hit the child like that in PUBLIC, can you imagine what she does behind closed doors. Another Casey Anthony for sure. Hope the state isn’t stupid enough to give the child back.

1. Matt Filipczuk says:

Oh shutup. Casey is innocent, and YOU don’t even know how when or where her child died, also I never heard ONE person say Casey abused her child. Did you ever see one photo of caylee not smiling? How about all those pictures of casey playing with her daughter? Oh yeah, you ignore that and judge people based on emotions. Can you tell me how you know it was casey and not her father? Nope no proof. Before you sentence people you have to have a burden of proof, and if you dont have proof like oh lets say how she killed her child, or when she died, then you will go free.

1. Joe says:

Was that meant to be sarcasm or are you serious?

15. Ted says:

This young lady is a pretty woman. If she were to get help and settle her inner conflicts and learn to raise her child, she might do much better for herself. babies should never be hit anywhere or yelled at. They have no concept of right or wrong. If the baby wasn’t hungry, then don’t feed it!!! It will be hungry again soon enough. If it is sick and refuses food for several meals, then the baby should be seen by a doctor. I was a single parent. I fed my kids when they were hungry, which happened often enough. They are now 30 and 32 years old and extremely healthy. This young lady needs intervention to get her life in order before something much worse happens. The courts will see to it that this young lady is compelled to make some serious changes in her life.