No Lifeguards At Bourne Beaches This Summer

By Bill Shields, WBZ-TV

BOURNE (CBS) – The first day of summer was a perfect beach day on Cape Cod. But in Bourne, people enjoying Monument beach or Gray Gables, did so without lifeguards.

“I would really like to see at least one here,” said one mom as she watched her toddler near the water.

The town is dealing with a budget that is three percent less than last year’s.

So in order to keep essential services up to par, they laid-off 18 lifeguards, saving the town thousands of dollars.

“It wasn’t an easy decision for the selectmen, but it was what we had to do,” said Bourne Town Manager Tom Guerino.

WBZ-TV’s Jim Armstrong reports

In Falmouth, they’re keeping all 55 lifeguards, but they’ll be starting a week to ten days late, saving the town $30,000.

“The town realizes how important the beaches are, and they are revenue-producers,” said Assistant Beach Superintendent Bruce Mogardo. “But we had to stand in line and take cuts like all the other departments.”

WBZ-TV’s Bill Shields reports

Still, beachgoers are a bit uncomfortable with no one in a red shirt sitting in the lifeguard chair.

“Yea, I wish they were here,” said one man as he got into his car at Old Silver Beach, “I’m here with my grandchildren, but I hear they’ll be on the beach next weekend.”

WBZ NewsRadio 1030’s Lana Jones reports

He’s right.

But in Bourne, it’ll be swim at your own risk all summer long.

More from Bill Shields
Comments

1. emom says:

Ok I understand the concern, and I don’t get why there is nothing in a budget…. HOWEVRER,, this is happening everywhere…. SO they will put up signs stating that the beach has no lifeguards and that if you swim its at your OWN RISK…But someone will see these signs , and still RISK their lives and then sadly someone will sue the town and probably win.. HOW SAD either way.

2. Rick M says:

you know we can pay the politicians hundreds of thousands of dollars to do not a GD thing for use but we can not seem to find it in our budget to hire someone that quite possibly will do more good in one summer than 10 politicians will do in a life time we really have lost sight of right and wrong haven’t we? What kind of society are we living in when an elderly man has to rob a bank, wait to get caught “not even try to run away” just so he can get caught and get the medical attention he needs because he cant afford it as a free man but he can get it free as an incarcerated man

3. Mal says:

Parents should be watching their kids. I have been at the beach and pool and seen parents just walk off and leave their kids. Wake up. The lifeguards are NOT YOUR BABYSITTERS.

1. Rick M says:

Mal LIFE GUARDS ARE NOT JUST FOR THE KIDS MANY ELDERLY FOLKS LIKE TO GO SWIMMING AS WELL THEY GET IN THE WATER THEN CRAMP UP AND CA NOT YELL LOUD ENOUGH FOR HELP . SO IT HELPS TO HAVE A TRAINED EYE TO WATCH OUT FOR THE WARNING SIGNS THAT SHOWS SOMEONES IN TROUBLE AND NOT JUST SPLASHING AROUND . you NEED SOMEONE WHO WILL COUNT HEADS IN THE WATER EVERY FIVE MINUTES IT ISN’T ALL ABOUT THE KIDS KIDS ARE THE LEAST SAVED PERSONS YEARLY BECAUSE THEY STAY WITHIN THE LINED BOUNDARIES IT’S THE DRINKING TEENS AND ELDERLY MOSTLY WHO NEED THE SERVICE OF A LIFEGUARD. Sorry about the caps I didn’t look until it was written & I’m not rewriting it

4. ibgm says:

They can use the money they save for legal fees once someone drowns and their family sues the the town.

1. Rick M says:

Sad but true One more thing I thought the state lottery gave back to the communities for this type of situations I guess you cant line your pockets and pay for a lifeguard at the same time I personally know a few town employees that say they don’t do a frigging thing all week long in fact they call it hide & seek for a grand a week. I see no reason why the town cant take a few already employed people from the dump train them to be certified in life guard duty and send them to the beaches

5. Don says:

Here’s what I don’t get. This was decided in January. It was affirmed during town meeting in the spring. So now everybody notices?
    If you had paid attention, you could have spoken up when it might have made a difference. You didn’t so now you can just shut up. Maybe now you’ll pay attention to what the (town, state, fed) is doing, and you can do something about it when it will matter.

6. "I'll be watching my kids" says:

How did this happen? There are many summer residents who pay very high real taxes and have no children in the schools (the largest town expense.) The town has this bonus income not available to many other towns. I think the residents ought to look at the town administration and maybe a lack of efficiency there??? How much is being paid in overtime and why? Are there vacancies not being filled? How many vacancies and how long have these been open? Are there applicants for these vacancies?