Back In 1972…
Bruins CentralShop for Bruins Gear
Buy Bruins Tickets
Sports Fan Insider
BOSTON (CBS) – Before Wednesday night, it was 39 years since the Bruins could call themselves Stanley Cup Champions.
Things were a lot different back in 1972. Here is a look at a few highlights from that wonderful year.
- Richard Nixon was finishing out his first term as President.
- “The First Time Ever I Saw Your Face” by Roberta Flack was the #1 Song. Other hits included “American Pie” by Don McLean and “School’s Out” by Alice Cooper.
- “The Godfather” won Best Picture with Marlon Brando taking home Best Actor at the Academy Awards.
- Milk cost $1.20 a gallon. Gas was $.0.35 a gallon.
- Those were the days… “All In The Family” was the #1 show on TV.
- Atari released Pong, the first video game to receive commercial success.
- Houses cost roughly $40k.
- Ben Affleck, Dane Cook and Shaquille O’Neal were all born in 1972.
- Only one member of the current Stanley Cup Champions was alive. Mark Recchi was 4-years-old.