12-Year-Old Swimmer Missing, Her Brother Rescued Off Hampton Beach

HAMPTON, N.H. (CBS) — Crews are looking for a 12-year-old who was swimming off Hampton Beach in New Hampshire when she and her older brother got swept out to sea by a rip current.

The girl’s brother, who is 20,¬†was rescued, but his condition is unknown. Neither he nor his sister have been identified.

The Coast Guard says it got the call around 8 p.m. The lifeguards had left for the day, but someone on the beach saw the two having trouble. Someone on the beach went in and was able to help the brother out, but was not able to rescue the sister.

WBZ-TV’s Christina Hager reports.

Crews are using boats and a helicopter to look for the girl. They say they have an idea where she was last seen and are able to follow the current to search where she may be.

The Coast Guard described the sea as calm and the water temperature was 55 degrees.

Comments

1. Ali says:

This is one of my worst nightmares, my thoughts and prayers are with the family. Praying the coast guard can find this little girl. Keep us posted WBZ

2. Niki says:

I was at Hampton at around 8:45 and saw the enormous effort put forth by the local police and the Coast Guard to find the missing girl. There are a good number of lifeguards in the water along with the boats and the helicopter. This is truly a tragedy and I pray they find her. My thoughts and prayers go out to the family at this horrible time.

1. Sarah says:

i was at hampton today and i saw boats very close to the shore. I asked someone what happened and shortly after the coast guard was there. They are doing a great job searching for her. My prayers go out to her family and i hope she s found.

3. Mary Tanana says:

I don’t mind cold water, but 55 degrees? It just goes to show you..the power of the ocean! I bet they were not even in that deep, considering the temp, rip currents are so powerful. This makes me so sad.

4. Nick says:

I left the beach at 1030 from ocean gaming casino and they were still searching. Such a sad thing. Best wishes to the family

5. Vivian says:

she is the niece of a close family member of mine and we are all praying that at least her body can be found, Its sad what mother nature can do in a matter of seconds…Thank you all for the comments.

6. Missy says:

I have been there all night and they are still looking, Its amazing how people can come together to help someone else.

7. bobby says:

jay hawk looked in the same spot back and forth them whole five hours didn’t do nothing boats came from Portsmouth aprox. 60 mins by boat to hampton 30-45 minutes until hypothermia, 30 mins 600 yards out into sea sorry for the loss and i hope the best

8. L says:

What about sharks? Are they a threat to this situation?

9. dismayed says:

I don’t even understand how anyone could have gone into such cold water. How tragic for the entire family. I do hope this little girl will be found and returned to her family to be put to rest.

1. jeennna says:

do u know how to delete comments??

10. Olivia LaFreniere says:

I was there :\ that could of been me to. me & her were talking and becoming friends.. She asked me to swim with her that day but my dad called me in. then i come home to this :'(

11. Tracy boudreau says:

i was there this afternoon and there where still boats out there looking, what a horriable thing to happen, my prayers and thoughts are with you i hope they can bring her home and olivia thank god you listend to your dad god bless we will pray for her return

12. Juansito Lara says:

rest in pce lil one u wit god it wuz your DAY I THINK YOUR FAM OUT HERE ARE GETIN STRESS AND CRYIN