Woman Survives Bear Attack In NH

CENTER HARBOR, N.H. (CBS) – A woman came face-to-face with a bear at her home in Center Harbor, New Hampshire over the weekend and lived to tell about it.

57-year-old Jacqueline Berghorn told WBZ-TV she was outside with her dog at about 9:30 p.m. Sunday when a black bear weighing close to 200 pounds came onto her porch.

WBZ-TV’s Karen Anderson reports.

She said they looked each other in the eye and the bear lunged at her.

“Just with his paws down. He just charged me, he snorted and charged me like a bull,” Berghorn said.

beartrap Woman Survives Bear Attack In NH

The trap NH wildlife officials set to catch a bear in Center Harbor. (credit: Brad Morse/NH Conservation Officer)

It pushed her down and she hit a glass door.  The bear then ran away, right through a fence, and fell eight feet down into the woods.  But it didn’t give up.

Berghorn said it came back and her husband fired two shots at it.  He missed and the bear ran off.

Berghorn was treated for minor injuries and bruises.

“If he had his nails out I’d be in the hospital,” she said. “Nothing broke, and I was very lucky.”

Investigators from the New Hampshire Department of Fish and Game are now trying to find the bear and figure out what caused it to attack.

“I think she was very fortunate, but I think the bear was probably as scared as she was.  I think the bear was probably more scared than anything else,” Fish and Game Conservation Officer Brad Morse told WBZ-TV.

Berghorn said they had been cooking in their yard earlier in the day.

bearhand Woman Survives Bear Attack In NH

Jacqueline Berghorn shows off one her injuries. (photo credit: Brad Morse, N.H. Conservation Officer)

Brad More explained the bear was used to finding food in the neighborhood.

“The situation is, this bear was probably baited in. The people next door had been feeding the bear for 5 years,” Morse said.

Berghorn says her former neighbors fed the birds, and didn’t intend to feed the bears.

Fish and Game officers say everyone should bring in their feeders on April 1st.  Bears can smell bird seed a mile away.

Authorities will put a trap at the house Monday afternoon in the event the bear comes back.

One of Berghorn’s neighbors said a bear killed six chickens on his property Sunday, but it’s believed to be a different bear.

Comments

1. chefkro says:

So the bear just walked up to her and attacked her. Don’t bears attack when they’re provoked?

2. foamy says:

I think it was trying to escape the lightning. Ba dum…..pshhh!!

3. Ellen says:

Ya, like I would want to live in a desolate area with bears hovering around.

4. Graywolf72 says:

The answer was, the numbskull neighbor who FED the bear for 5 years, you DON’T FEED WILD ANIMALS, especially BEARS..IDIOTS !!!!! The bear came back looking for food where it had been fed for 5 years, and now will visit ALL the neighbors looking for a feast.

1. John says:

this is exactly correct! The moron that fed the bear for 5 years conditioned it to come for food and probably also left the poor thing with little or no hunting skills. The bear also was drawn to the yard by the smell of food from the BBQ earlier in the day. Blame this unfortunate incident on the jerk that fed the bear all those years.

2. Denise Gamache says:

YES FOR SURE GRAY WOLF, SO TRUE. THEY ARE ONLY ANIMALS, IF WE FEED THEM THEN THEY KEEP SEARCHING FOR MORE ESPECIALL NOW WITH NATURE CHANGING EVER SO QUICKLY. MY COUSIN BRAGS ABOUT FEEDING THEM AND BEING OUT THERE IN HIS BACK YARD IN N.H. I FEAR FOR HIS LIFE AND THE LIVES OF HIS FAMILY UP THERE IN N.H.

1. Dave says:

Cousin mistaken if he thinks gray wolves are in NH. He may be misled by the fact that Eastern coyotes are large, up to 65 lbs. Feeding wildlife a really bad idea in any event.

5. ted says:

I’m not sure what rock the neighbor was living under to be ignorant enough to FEED a bear at all… say nothing about for FIVE years. Not smart.

1. Bear says:

It is NH, after all. Not the swiftest people.

1. J stonitsch says:

Nothing nice to say , shut up ..TYPO the neighbors feed the BIRDS not th BEARS

2. Mark says:

Not a typo, the neighbors have a feeder out for the birds, but the bears are coming to it. Maybe the neighbor didn’t intend to feed the bears, but fed them nonetheless.

3. Denise Gamache says:

HERE’S WHAT I SAY TO STEREO TYPERS, THEY THEMSELVES ARE BUT AT THE VERY LEAST REALLY INGNORANT AND COGNITIVELY DISTORTED! READ MY POST AND GFU MARK.!

4. rmsbl4 says:

Your caps are still stuck.

5. TinSoldier says:

I have to agree that they were pretty stupid- if after five years, the bears are still coming around to collect the bird food, REMOVE the bird feeders or rig up something else to feed the birds.

6. Don Armstrong says:

I have on average 6 different bears that come through my yard and I have never had a confrontation. I have miles of woods in back of me so it is a normal thing for them to wander through several times a year. I usually just clap my hands and they leave the area. In this case you had a dumb neighbor feeding the bears so they got used to being fed. They went to the house next door and more than likely both the bear and the woman startled each other. Now her idiot husband shots at the bear and I’ll bet he “Thinks” he never shot it but does not know so now you have a wounded animal wandering around. Reminds of the woman in Kittery Maine that kept calling the police because every time she put her bird feeder back up the bears tore it down and ate it. She told the police “That feeder is only for the birds so stop the bear from eating from it”.

7. HungryBear says:

That’s New Hampshire for you. Stupidity.

8. Don Armstrong says:

In reply to Ellen’s comments about “living in a desolate area” you know there has been numerous bear sightings in Eastern Mass not far from Boston. When I lived in Virginia near Dulles airport they found out that there was a bear living in a gully area next to multiple high rise office buildings and food places. He actually crossed under the Dulles airport Access road and toll road , that’s 16 lanes of traffic by using storm drain lines to get to offices and food places on the other side of the road. He was fat and happy and the locals were dumb because they did not know the bear was there.

9. emom says:

Wheres range smith when you need him. dont leave a picnic basket around ……

10. rocky79 says:

A bear walks into a bar…………..I mean a woman’s porch in NH………

11. Ann says:

of all the year i went to NH i never see a bear come after people.
    but this bear can be sick also.
    i glad she ok and get well.

12. John says:

and was this really a bear attack? The bear charged her, she fell down and hurt herself falling onto the glass door. When I read this headline I envisioned a mauling with hair & scalp torn off, claw gashings and multiple bite marks. Great dog they have too. My little dog would’ve taken a few chunks out that bear’s hide if it was after anyone in my family!

1. sambo says:

was this a Chicago Bear????

13. Erik says:

First off bears have claws not “nails” secondly bears don’t have retractable claws like cats do… If you are going to live where they live you should probably educate yourself on the animal and its behavior.

1. TH says:

that was the first thing I noticed wrong with her account of the attack. That must have been a bear-lion hybrid.

14. David says:

I normally wouldn’t respond to such trivial matters, but…Are you serious? NH people are stupid? I suppose all Jews are rich, all Polish are stupid and all Blacks are lazy? People get a grip! Here’s a quarter, go but yourselves an ounce of enlightenment and a can of dignity! We should be beyond these stereotypes by now. BTW, NH residents have the highest credit rating in the country! Stupid?
    D. NH Resident…don’t feed the bears!!=)

1. Stooopid? Eh? says:

Thank you. I hadn’t realized how many people are prejudiced against those of us who live in NH. I’ll have to let my children know how stupid they are. Perhaps then they will set aside their foolish plans to become architects and doctors. All of my children, aged 9-16, know never to feed or approach a wild animal of any size. They know this because they live in NH, where MOST people know this. Sadly, there are still plenty of people that don’t understand, or don’t use common sense (such as bringing bird feeders in at the end of winter).

15. Crock says:

Other reports state she had a relationship with the bear and called him Yogi. Honestly, not making that up. She had a relationship with the bear? I bet she engaged the bear when she was out on the deck. Yogi,(that noise you hear is me laughing) was probably roaming around the back yard and next thing you know Jane Goodall invites him over for a night cap and some snacks. Only in NH I guess. Live free or die baby. What a nut job.

16. justsayin' says:

wildlife officials should be capturing the idiot neighbors who have been feeding the bear for 5 years. I’d be ticked off at them, the bear was only doing what had learned to do to get food.

17. dew says:

this isn’t a bear attack – the bear was trying to get away, then tempted to come back for food. she fell against a door & bruised herself.

18. rmsbl4 says:

Is that white stripe on her shoulder from her bra strap and the rest sunburn?

19. ddb880 says:

It was scared, that was a bluff charge, very common. I have had many close encounters, including accidental touching and never felt threatened. A fed bear is a dead bear, only an idiot feeds a bear.

20. Mark says:

Tragic for the bear. The woman was barely (lol, pun) touched but now that the bear has ‘attacked’ a person it will likely be killed if they catch it. Sad thing is if the stupid neighbor hadn’t been feeding the bear this whole incident would never have happened.

Should be easy enough to get your bear come hunting season though, just sit on the neighbors back porch.

21. jmthkr says:

ddb880 is correct. Black bears bluff charging is quite common (as are the huffing an puffing). A bear that has been conditioned to being fed by people is a sad thing to see (or hear about, in this case). This bear will have to be destroyed because of stupid people. Bears are wild animals, Please, lets keep them this way.

22. stephen (clt) says:

Bears and human cohabitation….HMMMM..excellent idea….every once-in-a-while you hear a shocker that a wild bear attacked people. Oh well, it must be a CRAZY bear!!

23. Denise Gamache says:

YEAH, TALK ABOUT STEREOS TYPES, NOW PEOPLE ARE SAYING STUPID PEOPLE FROM N.H. FEEDING THE BEARS. AS IF ALL BEAR FEEDERS ARE FROM N.H. DUH. N.H. PEOPLE , I THINK NOT , HOW N.H. VOTES SO GOES MOST OF THE NATION. IF YOU LIVE IN THE CITY DON’T EVEN THINK TO COMMENT ON THE WONDER OF BEFRIENDING AN ANIMAL. I MYSELF WOULD NEVER EVER DO SO, BUT STILL I CAN SEE THE WONDER OF IT ALL, AND THE LONELINESS THAT COUNTRY PEOPLE FEEL AND SO WANT TO BEFRIEND THE ONLY LIVING CREATURES THAT WALK BY THEM AND RELATE TO THEM. THIS IS SO SAD FOR BEARS, BUT ALSO LET’S NOT STEREO TYPE N.H. MANY A BEAR LOVER HAS PERISHED ON THE LANDS OF MANY OTHERS STATES, COUNTRIES AND CONTINENTS.

24. vsandd says:

The former neighbors did not intentionally feed the bears for five years – they had a bird feeder out. Now the fish and game deputy says to take in bird feeders by April 1st, so everybody will now follow the rule. right.

25. LastoftheZucchiniFlowers says: