Joe Mathieu Takes Over As WBZ’s Morning Drive Anchor

BOSTON (CBS) – WBZ NewsRadio 1030 has a new morning drive anchor.

David Robichaud introduces us to Joe Mathieu, who took over Monday morning.

More from David Robichaud
Comments

1. WesWelkerFan says:

Welcome aboard Joe! Look forward to you “waking me up” at 5AM every weekday morning (NOT!). :-) Good Luck.

2. kevin harnden says:

I guess I just don’t understand the radio business, but, ……why the shake-up in the morning team?
    I really enjoyed the present team….Rod Fritz and company. They seem to be doing a great job and they were obviously pros.
    Changing the routine tends to make make want and click around the dial.

3. Dave Houle says:

Love the consistency of WBZ throughout the day during the week. Wish that consistency continued in the evening and on the weekend. I’d love to see all-news 24/7.

4. Coldharbor1864 says:

Why is wBZ offering this comment page and then removing the posts? It seems to be consistent with their removal of employees. I wish the new guy luck, hope he is around longer than the people he just replaceded. I am with Kevin above on this.

5. Jack says:

I don’t get it either, I liked the morning team and will now change the dial.

6. Mae Kane says:

I believe the shakeup is because the wonderful seasoned broadcasters are tired of doing “ads”. If you timed the news compared to the ads on WBZ you would find that there is much too much commercials going on. Makes me want to turn into other stations. Unfortunately, there is not much competition for WBZ. Let’s report the news.

7. Steve Pooley says:

Sorry, Joe. I’m disappointed. I was certain the new “lead guy” was going to be Deb Lawler. Quality of her reporting and voice can’t be beat.

1. laurier says:

I did, too. Rod Fritz grew on me.Time to find a new morning station

8. Paul Aldrich says:

Welcome to WBZ, Joe! What a surprise and a delight to hear you this morning. Yes, there are some Putnam-ites that listen to BZ . Best of luck to you. Say hi to Mom and Dad for Me.

9. LK says:

Joe, loved you (and miss you terribly) on POTUS. I have to switch to BZ now…

10. Dave says:

I agree with LK. Joe, you’re sorely missed on POTUS. I look forward to listening to you on WBZ.

11. M. Davy says:

Hello Folks,
    I have to tell you I didn’t know the old guy and I’m sure he was great, but Joe Mathieu is phenomenal! Try to give him a chance. I heard him on POTUS through the amazing political roller-coaster we’ve lived through since 2008, and I would often delay getting out of my car to hear his show. On the “Press Pool,” he brought in all kinds of really interesting people and interviewed them, drew on multiple internet-based sources, Washington-insider info and historical sources, print media, and television. He often went “behind the headlines.” My only worry is, as one commenter posted above, I don’t know whether we’ll really hear his “voice” on BZ, I tuned in last week and found it hard to hear him because there were so many other voices crowding his out — and there are indeed so many ads. I hope that, over time, he’ll be able to bring the insights, sense of humor, and good-natured evenhandedness he brought to national reporting to the local scene in Boston, and to WBZ. Then we’ll all be better off. Listeners will have to “stay tuned” for a little while as it evolves.