Manchester, N.H. Standoff Prompts Evacuations
Get Breaking News First
MANCHESTER, N.H. (CBS/AP) — Heavily armed New Hampshire police are continuing to evacuate residents from a section of Manchester where an armed man had been holed up overnight keeping police at bay.
The standoff that began Thursday night has led to the closure of an estimated eight-block section of Manchester and the Friday closing of the West High School.
“I had my five-year-old niece and she was scared because of all of the police that were outside her windows,” said Daniel Clagon, a man who lives nearby. “She stayed up until about 3:30 this morning crying like, ‘Hey, I’m scared.’”
WBZ-TV’s Sera Congi reports.
Police were called to the area to do a welfare check on 7-year-old child. When officers arrived they were met by a man waving a handgun. It’s not known where the child is now.
“I’ve cut his hair before, he’s talked to me. And it was always very pleasant,” said Connie Howard, who owns a nearby hair salon. “He shovels for me, he cleans, he mows the lawn. Anything he can do. He’s really a nice guy.”
Sgt. Paul Thompson told The Associated Press Friday morning that that the standoff has been going on since about 10 p.m. Thursday. No shots have been fired.
There has been one arrest on the scene of the standoff of a man who police say was getting in the way of their operations.
(TM and © Copyright 2011 CBS Radio Inc. and its relevant subsidiaries. CBS RADIO and EYE Logo TM and Copyright 2011 CBS Broadcasting Inc. Used under license. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. The Associated Press contributed to this report.)