Local

13 People Now Claim Abuse At Camp Good News

View Comments
Camp Good News
420x316-grad-stevens1 Carl Stevens
Carl Stevens is an award-winning general assignment reporter for WBZ...
Read More

BOSTON (CBS) – An attorney says 13 people have now come forward claiming they were abused as children at Camp Good News, the Cape Cod summer camp where Senator Scott Brown spent time as a boy.

Boston attorney Mitchell Garabedian also told WBZ NewsRadio 1030 Tuesday that three people who worked at the camp with Chuck Devita had told camp officials that they were suspicious about his relationship with children.

WBZ NewsRadio 1030’s Carl Stevens talks to Garabedian

“One person contacted me and she told me that she saw Chuck Devita. She was working at the camp,” Garabedian said.

“She saw Chuck Devita with children frequently and she reported her concerns to the camp, although she did not see sexual abuse, she was always suspicious because Chuck Devita always seemed to be alone with little children.”

Devita killed himself earlier this month after being named as a possible child molester.

Garabedian said at least three of the 13 may have been alleged victims of Devita, but he would not say how many others may be accused.

“I’d say under five,” he said when asked how many alleged perpetrators he suspects worked at the camp.

Garabedian says he’s referred all of the people to State Police who are investigating the case.

A spokesperson for the camp released a brief statement Tuesday afternoon, responding to Garabedian’s announcement.

“Camp officials will tell their side of the story in an appropriate forum, rather than addressing these types of allegations in the media.”

The camp announced last Friday it will remain closed for the summer, saying it must “review every aspect of our operations before re-opening.”

View Comments
blog comments powered by Disqus
Follow

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 2,701 other followers