Thermal Cameras Show Too Much?

BOSTON (CBS) – A thermal imaging project in the city of Boston has been put on hold because of privacy concerns.

Lisa van der Pool of the Boston Business Journal reports.

Boston officials had hoped to have aerial and street-level photos taken across about four square miles of the city this winter using infrared cameras that would show heat loss in the city homes.

Officials planned on sharing the photos and analysis with homeowners, and were hoping the findings would increase enrollment in efficiency programs and also create business opportunities.

But, the project hit a snag when the American Civil Liberties Union of Massachusetts raised concerns that the infrared cameras would reveal information about what’s going on inside the homes. Sagewell’s cameras can take up to 20,000 images of homes per day.

Despite the concern, towns outside of Boston have not had any problems with the program. Utilities and environmental groups from Springfield and Hamilton are in the process of initiating the same project in their communities.

Comments

1. jzsmith1965 says:

so what are the concerns that the aclu has is it because of people might be growing mary jane or have a drug lab set up ? need more info

1. Helloseekers says:

Guns.

2. David says:

Don’t worry about the government. Some civil servants are just like my loved ones. They work so hard and they try to be strong. I’m a lucky guy to live in my building. Don’t you worry about me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1. USA: THIRD WORLD RISING says:

They can do this, bot can’t STOP THE INVASION – http://www.BorderInvasionPics.com

2. David from San Diego says:

¡¡¡ They don’t WANT to stop the invasion !!!

3. TenaciousTexan says:

Or maybe having sex with a spouse??? Are you serious asking why the ACLU or anyone else might be concerned – this used to be a free country with Constitutional Rights…

1. len says:

EXACTLY Tenacious Texan!

I can’t believe what sheeple the American people have become. Ugh, the average American is such a useful idiot.

2. Michael says:

TenaciousTexan,
        It would be hars ro believe that any person would disagree with you.
        I would also urge EVERYONE here to teach your children to question the government, and to raise their voices, to study the Constitution of the United States and to encourage children to ooenly discuss what the Bill Of Rights says:
        THE GOVERNMENT EXISTS TO SERVE THE LIBERTIES OF THE CITIZENS, NOT TO OPPRESS, AND IT IS THE CITIZENS RESPONSIBILITY TO OVERTHROW THE GOVERNMENT IF IT ACTS OPPRESSIVELY.

3. Victim of illegal videoing says:

There is so much more the government does that isn’t stopped by the aclu. You will find out before long how they video everyone in their homes using the wiring and lights. It’s happened for so long, but no one wants to believe those who try to put the information out there. Talk to your veterans. They know how it’s done and where it’s stored. These videos have never been used for any kind of security. They are used for the entertainment industry to doctor them up and put them in movies, or use the stolen ideas from people in their homes to make the shows people watch everyday. Almost everyone knows someone who has been in the military. Ask them a few questions. What the government does isn’t for security. That’s just the sales pitch they use for the general public to think they are safe. Take a look at the new television set up they have. It’s called SPY TV. Look it up and see how they plan to use it to monitor and control you.

4. thezapper says:

it seems perfectly fine for IL – lisa madigan to release FOID card owners for the sake of transparency but not this

5. Patriot says:

You’re obviously an iidiot who has never read the U.S. Constitution nor cares a damn about it. No doubt if this was something Bush wanted you would have got your panties all in a wad.

6. Julie says:

They’re probably trying to keep up with the pervs at the airports.

2. AAA says:

No they can’t. LOL, more wonderful media B.S!

1. I agree AAA is stupid says:

I agree with AAA is Stupid, AAA is Stupid

2. I agree too that AAA is Stupid says:

I agree with I agree AAA is stupid that AAA is Stupid is correct, AAA is stupid

3. AAA is Slow says:

AAA is just a little slow, but he’s not stupid!

4. AAA is Slow is more Stupid than AAA says:

AAA is slow is more stupid than stupid AAA.

5. AAA's friend can't spell! says:

Hey AAA’s Friend, you misspelled meanies! You’re stupid too!

6. AAA and company are SO STUPID says:

AAA and his friends are stupid everyone!! HAHAHAHAHAHA

7. Wilder Napalm says:

Well Numbnuts they can. Why do you think the police use FLIR on their choppers? They can see hot spots inside a structure they suspect of being an inside pot growing operation. You need to do a little research before you decide to post something and embarrass yourself.

1. John R says:

The police use FLIR on their chopper so they can see at night. IR cameras can be used to help identify hotspots in buildings, for example to see where the heart of a fire is. Or, as some have said about the marijuana growing episode, to provide a tool for long term survellience of a suspected lab. But, in all cases, the IR camera is NOT seeing through the wall. It can only see the heat radiating from the exterior of the wall. Just like a normal camera can only see the light reflecting off the wall. IR band waves cannot pass through exterior building walls. Note: ordinary cameras CAN see through walls, IF the walls are GLASS. IR cameras cannot even do that.

2. beedogs says:

“They can see hot spots inside a structure they suspect of being an inside pot growing operation.”

Um, yeah, that’s actually illegal. The Supreme Court has already ruled against it.

3. JEPAXTON says:

Well, Wilder Nitwit…As you say, “do a little research before you decide to post something and embarrass yourself” I think you need to take that advice yourself. Look up FLIR and it’s capabilities and you will see for yourself (Wilder Napalm = FAIL!)

To all the rest of you who cannot think for themselves and obviously are worried that their behind closed doors activities are going to be seen, who cares! If we didn’t have so many pansy ass, whiney, “I need my mommy to wipe my nose”, tree hugging, useless waste of space people in this country then things would be so much better. (of course that would mean that all the PObama supporters would be GONE!) Hmmm…no problem there.

Bottom line, all of you crying about your rights beign trampled, put your big girl panties on and worry about more important things, like disciplining your kids who are in need of a good ass whipping…oh wait, that would be a rights violation…GIVE ME A BREAK! WAKE UP AMERICA!

4. journalistsareworthless says:

I can’t beleive the level of STUPID going on here. I’ve used IR cameras before, and you can’t see a clear image through so much as a sheet of paper with one. If something warm behind a wall heats the wall enough to warm the outside of the wall, the camera will pick up only the warm spot. For CBS Boston to post the IR photo above of people out on the open and attach an article discussing “seeing through walls” shows how stupid or dishonest they are. For the ACLU to latch onto this issue shows what scheisters they are. For those who fall prey to this tripe, I don’t know whether to feel superior for myself or sorry for you.

5. mcgd says:

I work at FLIR and we have to continually explain the technology to the media. Yes, it is on police choppers and it works extremely well. I’ve seen footage where, during a criminal chase at night, the chopper operators are able to direct officers on the ground to a discarded weapon that has residual heat from the hand of the suspect!

But, IR doesn’t penetrate glass or walls. If it did we would love to sell that technology to our military and law enforcement customers! In fact it is one of our selling points. Our security cameras allow surveillance without violating the privacy of your neighbors like regular security cameras can.

8. Jenius says:

AAA he a jenneus lak me!

9. Gibbs Bentley says:

How many government paid degenerate bloggers does it take to change a light bulb? — http://911essentials.com

10. AAA, stupid in fact says:

I too agree with the aforementioned comments about AAA being stupid… AAA, in fact, is stupid.

11. yoyoloverxc says:

oh date rich?I am a 28-years lady ,beautiful and mature . Now I am seeking a good man who can give me real love , my friends told me a nice place …
      —–Sêeking’Wêálthy. C’óM ——it’s the most effective site in the world to connect with,
      date and marry successful, beautiful people.-Meanwhile, . It’s worthy a try. You do not have to be rich or famous.
      —–

12. Slidingintoit says:

___Building 7….Inform that Duped, brainwashed, mindmush of yours.___

13. abcdefg says:

AAA stupid is as stupid does

14. IN MEMORY OF MARY JO says:

1. Sorrel says:

I wonder what Ted said when he had to face Mary Jo? We all get a day of reckoning.

15. Bill says:

“all of you crying about your rights beign trampled, put your big girl panties on and worry about more important things”

So you think you’re a conservative, do you?

You don’t know what “conservative” means. It certainly does NOT mean blindly supporting whatever the police or government wants to do!

Worry about something more important than our RIGHTS?

What would be more important than the rights for which our Founding Fathers pledged their lives, fortunes, and sacred honor?

3. AndrewB says:

I am holding a thermal camera in my lap as I type this. There is NO WAY that a thermal camera can record what humans are doing inside of a brick or wooden home. If a person leans against a wall for 10 minutes or so then it might pickup a faint outline of that person’s body from the outside. That’s it.

1. dave says:

Depends on the camera. Certain Fire Departments and Police have different technologies specifically for that purpose.

Police get to see where the bad guys are before a breach of a hostile environment.

As to those who are ok with this, married people and others who engage in sexual activity and have any sense of modesty would be mortified.

1. drpageiv says:

What is to prevent a Police Officer from looking in without a warrant? I do grow weed and I use grow lights that put off heat. The police aren’t suppose to look inside my person or papers. How about I don’t care if my house leaks energy and I don’t care about my environmental impact? Do you have the right to measure my environmental impact and then fine me for non-compliance?

2. James says:

@drpageiv it sounds like you have a bias and are misusing the rights afforded to you by the constitution. They were put in place to protect the innocent. I would be curious to know how easily the cops could trace your IP after you have admitted to growing pot.

3. Johnny Sandiego says:

James, pretty sure we are ALL presumed innocent, so the entire basis of your post is nonsense…and I bet you were the kid in school that tattled on everyone cooler than you (which is pretty much everyone, judging from your post). and BTW, i grow weed too, and I just smoked some of it and I feel great (part of that great feeling is knowing how much pot and pot-users get under your skin!) Even better, it’s legal here! California truly is the golden state…

4. Steve says:

@James,
        No, the SCOTUS has ruled on this (Kyllo vs. US), specifically in relation to the question of looking for grow operations. It’s illegal to use thermal imaging for discovery of such things because the home is to be secure from unreasonable searches. I think their reasoning was along the lines of evidence not visible to the naked eye, expectation of privacy, etc. Read the opinion for more details on the why.
        However, your comment about protecting the innocent is like saying “if you have nothing to hide you shouldn’t be worried”. This is not good basis for justifying government action. Such logic has been used by governments other than ours and is pretty well known bad. The reality is that rights designed to protect individual liberty do give shelter to some criminals. This is the cost of freedom. Get over it or move to China.

5. Todd says:

It was put in place to detect home growing activity. I hate pot, but I hate Constitution Trampling even more…

6. StandingO says:

dave sez: “No point in sending a Firefighter in to clear a home at great risk of life and limb if there’s nobody in there.”

I suppose that camera is so good it can find body heat when the house is on fire? LMAO.

What about the opposite? Can it tell if somebody inside has assumed room temperature?

7. IR Man says:

Those are radar based not infrared !

8. john smith says:

Sorry, but increase the amps as I am sure a government would do and you got Privacy.compromised Period.

9. EVERYBODY AAA IS STUPID says:

AAA IS STUPID!

2. OlTimer says:

I have been out of the USAF for over thirty years. Back then we had imaging that could pick up a 15 watt light bulb 6 miles away. Yes, it would be difficult to see through a brick building, but you will see into wood structures, and you can even see where they have been, especially if they spent some time in one spot.

3. trifficious says:

AndrewB:

I strongly suspect you are not an expert on thermography and related systems. Thermal imaging systems can absolutly see through hi desnity materials. And I am talking above the FLIR grade of cameras that range in 3.5k. Especially whern Thermal imaging devices are fused with millimeter wave sense through the wall technology. I can see 12 feet into the ground looking for an IED or I can tell if you are wearing a thong from the other side of a cinderblock wall.

Related to unreasonable search….Kyllo v. United States, 533 U.S. 27 (2001), held that the use of a thermal imaging device from a public vantage point to monitor the radiation of heat from a person’s home was a “search” within the meaning of the Fourth Amendment, and thus required a warrant. Because the police in this case did not have a warrant, the Court reversed Kyllo’s conviction for growing marijuana.

1. John R says:

A thermal camera cannot see through a wall. Period. All it can do is measure the emissions from the wall. Most IR cameras come in either the MWIR flavor (3-5 micron wavelength range) or LWIR (8-12 micron range). Both can’t even see through glass, which btw makes lensmaking interesting for them, much less wood, concrete, brick, stone, aluminum siding, drywall, plywood, shingles, etc.

Now if you had something really hot in your house it might heat the wall, and an IR camera might detect that you had something really hot behind that wall. That’s it.

2. beedogs says:

“I strongly suspect you are not an expert on thermography and related systems. I can tell if you are wearing a thong from the other side of a cinderblock wall.”

I strongly suggest you are just making sh!t up.

4. aintthatgreat says:

How well it can see an image, whether the image is blurred or not, is not the point, the point is that it has no business snapping photos in the first place without the occupants full knowledge and consent, after review of procedures and other photos to compare with.

It’s a privacy issue.

5. JC says:

I concur with Andrew. Can’t see through glass or roofs.

1. Daniel Seigler says:

you need special equipment to see throughj GLASS?

6. mike says:

Im guessing their FLIR camera is superior to yours.

7. ZMEEKER says:

AndrewB, ahhh There may be NO WAY that your thermal imaging device can detect persons behind a wall due to its design limitations. But the State Police in PA have been using thermal imaging equipment for a few years now to look into buildings for people. The devices that they use work very well for that application. The internet has much information regarding the technology and the legal challenges. I have to wonder why you have thermal imaging equipment in the first place. With statements such as yours I doubt you have any understanding of thermal imaging or the capacity to put it to use in any meaningful way.

8. John says:

How dumb are you? You are comparing a random infrared camera you have in your lap with the infinite budget of governments? Do you even understand what you are saying? This is simple technology, it’s been available to the military for over 20 (if not 40) years.

1. ML says:

John,

Great comment. However, We the People know that government budgets are NOT infinite. Those days are over. We the people are stopping that COLD.

2. newjerseybt says:

I guess you missed the vote in the House of Rep. Since that vote, we spent more in interest than the 38B we “cut”. The dirty little secret is BOTH sides (D&R) derive power with more government spending. It is their “sales pitch” during elections. What are you GIVING me? WE the People always ask. We are selling our souls.

9. jess says:

James,

He is innocent. He is growing a natural plant. Nothing more innocent than that. Next time you want to point out who is “innocent” and who is not, lets make sure you use your turn signal EVERYTIME. Otherwise, your nothing more than a criminal….

1. Doug FL says:

haha and cocaine too eh? hahhahaha give me a break

10. CommonCents says:

You obviously have the ‘consumer’ version and not the military/government version.

They most certainly can see what’s going on, that’s why SWAT teams have them.

11. ByteRider says:

There thermal cameras, then there are HYPERSPECTRAL cameras… The hyperspectral camera can see you from 20 miles away, through polution and cloud cover, then a brick wall, AndrewB. I know, I worked on them.

1. John R says:

You think these guys are parsing hyperspectral data cubes from a megabuck sensor in their hybrid car, while looking for home heat loss? Hyperspectral can’t do all that, either. Sounds like you were the salesman for the team, not the engineer.

2. chris says:

you’re wrong and you don’t know what you’re talking about.

12. robert says:

I make these for the military and they can do a LOT more than is described in this article. You have the Veg-o-matic version from Ron Popeil

13. Albert says:

Andrew …your wrong…..the new military-supplied technology can count the pimples on your ass while your banging your girlfriend…

14. Cannabis-man says:

THats not the point. The point here is should government be enforcing victemless crime laws? Who owns your body? How does ingesting or selling cannabis to consenting adults harm anyone but the users? Not only that, but no where in the constitution is there any authority for the government to make possession of substances illegal.

15. Andrew Beauchamp says:

The point is they’ll find all the marijuana grow operations in the city.

16. noway says:

Ah but you dont have a government issue thermal camera. Public thermals are set to low power, you would be amazed what the government can do….

17. HEY AAA IS STUPID says:

Did you guys know that AAA is SO STUPID!

18. barney says:

kcuf you, troll!

19. barney says:

kcuf you ya troll!

20. Ed says:

What else are you holding ….?

1. Mark says:

Ed,

Andrew has a faint outline of a brain!!!!!!!!!!! HA! HA! HA!

2. Kevin says:

Ed,

You are right … Andrew B. is stupid, just like AAA!!!

21. fredzz says:

These thermal cameras are not found in Cracker Jack boxes. They are the ones the big kids play with. Go back to bed Andrew!

22. Jon W says:

It all depends on the type and cooling of the thermal system. If it a nitrogen cooled system under pressure, it can very easily see through the walls. During my military days I worked with a variety of generational changes in thermal optics. The old ones (1980’s era), they could not see through walls, by the end of the 90’s it could pick up through walls I have been out since 1998 so I can only guess that there ahve been improvements since then. As for a thermal camera vs thermal imaging systems, the only difference is that one records the image the other does not. But the views are the same. If yours does not give good trans-structure images, it must not be a supercooled type or and older model.

4. Stu says:

Kyllo v. United States. Antonin Scalia has the people’s back.

1. Government always wins says:

Ashcroft/Gonzales v. Raich – Antonin Scalia has the government’s back.

2. BDubs says:

Stu has the absolute right idea. Now, if you take a look at the Kyllo case you’ll realize that arguing if you can see into a home or not is even the point at all– and it isn’t!

These cameras reveal, even potentially, the “intimate details” of the home. That is in violation of the 4th Amendment. Heat-detection cameras can, for instance, reveal at what hour the lady of the house takes her hot bath. Clearly, that’s in violation of the 4th! So if law enforcement wants to use these cameras on homes, they must have a warrant for a search.

5. John Gualt says:

People complain about Google Streetview, which looks only at the outside of your house. Now we have the government looking INTO your house, and we’re fine with that? I don’t think so.

1. Eliie says:

You are stupid, like AAA. No piece of equipment can penetrate a building and see into it. Go sit with Andrew B. and AAA!!!!!

1. Tsiok says:

You need to do some homework.

2. american-american says:

The Columbus, OH police department installed a new IR camera on one of its helicopters 2 or 3 years ago. One of the first times they used it, they chased an armed man at night and followed him to a garage in an alley. They reported to the men on the ground that the guy pitched his gun in a field and was hiding, crouched down near a back corner of the garage. The officers on the ground kept telling the pilot he was wrong. The pilot responded, “man you are right next to him. I can see him moving”. Turned out, the guy was IN the garage crouched down against the wall. The camera could see his body heat.

As soon as the building was secured the pilot went back to where the gun was pitched. It was still warm from the guy holding it. THe heat made the gun glow like a candle.

3. Freedom Gal says:

How stupid you truly are. We have a friend, retired from military. YES they can SEE through your house. He would not say what the only type of material was that they could NOT see through, but they do this by air. So YOU are deceiving only yourself or like the current president and democrats in office, you know the truth but are only lying to the public, pushing your own socialistic agenda. Have you not heard? American citizens are more intelligent than the children we have running this country at this time. Don’t even waste your breath; you cannot deceive those who know the truth.

4. stupidlibs says:

Eliie is totally ignorant or just plain lying to people. Either way….it’s not working. I personally know military people who are retired. YES THEY CAN! THey have done this for the past decade idiot.

Your body is heat too idiot. Your body WILL show up.

6. Mephisto says:

You cant see inside a building with a thermal imaging camera. Not possible. Its not an X-ray device. You can find out where heat is escaping the building envelope but not how many folks are home. ACLU just proving that they are pillocks.

1. MikeTherHammer says:

You’re just proving that you are a willing accomplice in the total takeover by government and the ensuing loss of individual liberty. Get the hell out of MY COUNTRY now, you socialist dirt-bag.

1. Mephisto says:

Sorry for the statement Mike, didn’t know your were out of your meds today.

2. Mephisto is also stupid says:

Mephisto is as stupid as AAA and AAA’s friend

3. HANOI JOHN KERRY says:

I SERVED IN VIETNAM. http://www.LIVESHOT.cc

1. Jacob says:

Hanoi John,

Just HOW MUCH did you SUCK in your duties to get KICKED OUT OF VIETNAM in four months?

7. San Howard says:

Thermal cameras can ONLY see inside of a home if the windows are open. They can not see through glass windows or walls period.

1. MikeTheHammer says:

Oh, that makes it all better then! And they all sang:

“Yes Barry loves me, yes Barry loves me.”
      “Yes Barry loves me, Big Brother tells me so.”

1. ME says:

Mmmmm, Mmmmmm, Mmmmm. Obama

2. swiftcall says:

A city tries to find thermal inefficiency, and finds out it’s cameras wreck rights, and suddenly Obama is a Kenyan. Tell b\me another good one, Birther-joke.

8. Hank Warren says:

Government cameras peeping into our homes, yet another violation of our rights. Add it to the list of gov’t violations of our right:
    They violate the 1st Amendment by placing protesters in cages, banning books like “America Deceived II” and censoring the internet.
    They violate the 2nd Amendment by confiscating guns.
    They violate the 4th and 5th Amendment by molesting airline passengers.
    Impeach Obama and sweep out the Congress.
    (Last link of Banned Book):

1. JEPAXTON says:

Wow, where to begin…Hank, you obviously are one of the right wing nutjobs who lives hunkered down in his cellar surrounded by canned goods with guns and ammo aplenty just WAITIN’ for the ‘POCALYPSE!!!!

Give me a break…

Point #1- “They violate the 1st Amendment by placing protesters in cages…” many of them belong in cages! Seeing as how many of them don’t even have a viable platform to stand on anyway.

Point #2- “They violate the 2nd Amendment by confiscating guns.” Do you REALLY need an assault rifle? I use one daily and they should only be used in the proplerly trained hands of the military and law enforcement. And before you say, I am a retired veteran and it is my right to own these guns…no, you gave up that right when you retired, you are no longer in the military. Thank you for your service, enjoy your retirement.

Point #3- “They violate the 4th and 5th Amendment by molesting airline passengers. Obviously they didn’t do something right when the shoe bomber and the underwear bomber both made it on to planes undetected. And don’t even start about 9-11. Or is it just that you are not secure in your manhood that you are worried about being molested. I am sure there is no threat there.

Point #4- “They violate the entire Constitution by starting undeclared wars for foreign countries.” They did not start any wars…they were asked to intercede, and if you chose to believe your aforementioned “protesters” then I see where your view is skewed.

WAKE UP AMERICA!

9. sukit dry says:

AmeriKa will be destroyed!

10. Davec says:

This is one GIANT pack of lies, we dont need IR CAMERAS to see “heat loss” all we need is an IR thermometer ($26.00 at Harbor Freight)

This “IR camera that can JUST HAPPEn to see people is actually being used for energy conservation” is a BALD FACED LIE. Its a cover story.

They launch a cover story and fools believe it, become conditioned to it.

Signed, Fmr Energy COnservation Engineer whos been there, measured that

PS Idiots post:

“Mephisto

You cant see inside a building with a thermal imaging camera. Not possible.”

Want me to show you where it IS possible? I met the INVENTOR of that very camera you say cant do that, in Ohio

1. mcgd says:

Thermal Cameras cannot see through glass windows.

An IR thermometer reads only a spot. It doesn’t give you an image, so it wouldn’t be a good choice for the type of project at hand.

2. Mephisto says:

DO tell girlfriend. What is his name?

11. Max Van Peebles says:

I hope they don’t catch me touching myself

1. Scottksmith says:

Oh Max, I’m sorry to say that they WILL! The thermal image of your left hand moving rapidly up and down is ‘probable cause’, and when the camera catches that hot gob arching toward the ceiling … well you’re toast.

12. sherlock says:

jzsmith and brett, you don’t care that the goverment can look in your home? Then all I can say is you deserve just what the goverment does to you and your family. You both must love the scanners at the airport? Don’t care about radiation. You must love your cell phone radiation. You both don’t think that the goverment is breaking the law? Were are the warrants to see what is in your home. Its called use your brains!

13. OBAMA = FRAUD says:

Why does BHO have a CT. S.S. # (042-68-4425) ??

MUST READ DETAILS – http://www.cashill.com/intellect_fraud/another_look_at_obamas.htm

1. ByteRider says:

Because he wasn’t born here, dufus… everyone knows that. Let’s move on.

1. Teddy Kennedy's SEARCH+RESCUE says:

Everyone knows that? Let’s move on?

I’m NOT moving on, Genius. http://www.BirtherReport.com

2. JEPAXTON says:

it’s okay ByteRider, eh doesn’t know where he was born either…

14. ra44mr2 says:

Well if you ever feel like someone is watching you, you wont be wrong.

15. Keno Colorado says:

Thermal imaging does not see-through walls or windows. This is a dumb myth. We have been using thermal imaging for law enforcement since the early 1990’s and people who work in the storm window industry have been using it as a sales tool for almost as long. Come out on a cold day and shot an image of where your house is leaking heat. (Or the reverse in summer.)
    Anyone who questions this is watching to much scifi TV.

16. WillTell says:

Yes, they do have thermal imaging cameras that can ‘see through walls’ of a house. The fabric of a tent’s wall is easier and 10′ of concrete is not doable to the best of my knowledge. But through the wall of a normal house? Yes.

17. scott says:

Tin-Foil Florida VS. Riley
    Justice Brennan, joined by Marshall and Stevens, strongly believed that the plurality had misstated the issue, the burden of proof properly rests with the State and not with the individual defendant. The State quite clearly has not carried this burden

# Gavenman, J. (1989). “Florida v. Riley: The Descent of Fourth Amendment Protections in Aerial Surveillance Cases”. Hastings Constitutional Law Quarterly 17: 725. ISSN 0094-5617.
    # Mayfield, Gayle J. (1990). “Florida v. Riley: The Beginning or the End of ‘Big Brother’?”. Criminal Justice Journal 12 (1): 53. ISSN 0145-4226

18. Horice Sheet I Say says:

Government spying on citizens grows a nibble at a time. Soon it will be like taxes, originally almost non-existant, now 50% to 70% of a persons wages considering state, local, income, property, sales, deathtax, etc. Go ahead and give up your constitutional rights if you want to live under a totalitarian government, kind of like what we have now.

1. Informed says:

You know tax rates were higher in the 40s 50s and 60s, right? How do you think all of the great infrastructure projects were paid for after the war? Highways, bridges, paying down war debt. Then the tax breaks, hence the 14 trillion doar debt.

1. Tech Del says:

Informed, you should be named Misinformed. The great infrastructure projects were paid for because entitlement programs were either self-supporting (Social Security) or non-existent prior to LBJ. Debt started to climb when politicians began spending over revenue as a matter of policy. The combined taxes referred to by Horice Sheet I Say take a much larger bite of tax payers’ income than ever in our history. Every time federal income taxes have been cut revenues have increased ala JFK, Reagan, Bush 43. Spending to buy votes is the problem.

2. Tom Jackson says:

You know all of our economic competitors were physically destroyed by WWII right? Made it a little easier to tax at high rates when the U.S, was the only county left that could produce. The goverment could tax at those rates because we made most of the worlds income. I always get a kick out of the socialists reference to tax rates post WWII. Do you think it’s a coincidence that as the world rebuilt it’s productive capacity, tax rates came down? C’mon, if you’re “Informed”, you should at least know this much. You liberal rubes really must understand that the days of 40%+ federal income tax rates will not be coming back and your ability to loot from those of us that can compete is going to be severely constrained.

Watch the entitlement reform debate closely. You lefties will get what you want with some additional tax revenue (very little), but in exchange you will receive a massive reductions in benefits. This will happen because it must happen. Your Dem representatives know this. They will continue their demonizing, but will go along all the same. Watch and learn.

19. jzsmith1965 says:

well according to the article its private contractors using the thermal cameras so again whats the issue

20. MINNESOTANS 4 GLOBAL WARMING says:

Now you will have no choice, but to choose the mercury-filled, curly light -bulbs. http://www.M4GW.com

The normal kind emit too much HEAT and “they” will know.

21. Stu says:

jzsmith1965: The issue is that you have a reasonable expectation of privacy within your own home. Just because it’s a private contractor does not make it okay.

Should random “private contractors” be able to go through your emails/phone records/bank statements/etc.???

22. Eric says:

Oh yeah it’s for your safety…. Complete B.S.

23. ChileCat says:

Great now they can watch Barney getting backdoor love from his “partner”.
    Make me puke!

24. Helloseekers says:

Oops. I said a bad word in the heat of the moment. How’s this? Fudge the powers that be.

25. Angela says:

Why are they “providing this service” without being asked? I don’t feel comfortable with ppl sitting outside my house taking pictures for any reason!

26. Major Variola (ret) says:

Need to aim some IR cameras at the politicians’ houses

27. D2D says:

All because the environazis believe people are too stupid to realize their homes are too cold during the winder or too hot during the summer!

Seems Big Brother in Boston must dictate every aspect of peoples lives!

28. Dee says:

Even if they can’t see you inside your house, it’s none of their business what your house’s thermal profile is. That alone is Big Brother. Remember how Obama talked about govt controlling your thermostat? How about the trash police in Britain? It’s all about control, which ultimately leads to a police state, no matter what the initial intentions.

29. tony says:

Need to see if parents are making a lunch for the kids, you know there not supose to do that.

30. Steve says:

Poorly insulated houses — owned by “poor” people who need “special assistance”, when paying their utility bills. Right now, the utility company “asks” for donations. Soon, they’ll simply add a “surcharge” to your bill to pay the bills for these “poor” people and they’ll spy on ALL houses to look for poorly insulated houses and the local “block Commisar” will make the rounds. See how it works, slaves?

31. CONCERNED says:

THIS IA ANOTHER GOVERNMENT TAKEOVER HOW MUCH MORE ARE GOING TO LET THE THEM DO TO US? WE WILL SOON BE ON CONCENTRATION CAMPS AS SOON AS THEY GET MORE TAX PAYING CITIZENS HARD EARNED MONEY TO BUY UP MORE LAND. PEOPLE STOP, LOOK, LISTEN WE ARE ABOUT TO BE CONTROLLED BY THE GOVERNMENT AND IF WE DONT COOPERATE WE WILL BE SHOT DOWN DOWN BY THE DRONES, WAKE UP AMERICA

32. Anthony says:

They don’t even do this in Communist China. Disgraceful.

33. Bob Forsberg says:

Any intrusion inside a private residence without the homeowners permission requires a WARRANT. Why is there confusion about these cameras? Too many people born outside the US running the country these days?

34. Orwell says:

To the fools that say IF can’t see humans in a home YOU DON’T KNOW what you are talking about. I spent several years of my career flying police helicopters equipt with FLIR and we most certainly did see people within structures when we were above a home doing survaillence.

35. Bill says:

All of you who think you can’t see through a building, including brick, and see what people/animals are doing inside have not seen some of the latest technology. Of course, not many people “DO” get to see this stuff.
    That picture at the top of this article is a “VERY CRUDE” image compared to what I’ve seen.

36. Curmudgeon10 says:

I’m not sure about the privacy issues, but that woman in the IR photo is hot.

37. Randolph2010 says:

The government criminals are at it again. This is illegal search and seizure, without a warrant. It is illegal under the U.S. Constitution.

Put these government criminals in prison where they belong! Tell them no or they won’t stop!

38. JustAGuy says:

Not to worry. This is Obama’s America. Government has your best interests in mind.

Trade in your gas guzzler for a green car, eat beets instead of McDonalds and be sure to turn out for the 2012 election, remember: MOVING AMERICA FORWARD!!!!

…and remember when Obama wins in 2012 and the country slides into depression, just blame Bush! :-D

39. rowley says:

Newest building material will be all double steel buildings with lead shutters.

40. Mitch Pasquin says:

High technology can be a useful tool, but the trick is to not be a tool of high technology.

41. Randyrocker says:

Boston where couples glow in the dark, while making love in the privacy of their own bedrooms, they are being watched by the investigative hands of big Brother or big Sis when it comes to the likes of Janet Napolitano and her feel up everyone for her cheap thrills and unwarranted intrusion into the lives of law abiding citizens.
    This governmental paranoia has gone too far, I’ve heard of sexual transmission, but this is a little far out of all legal jurisdiction. So Bostonians smile for the cameras and say cheese.

42. Angus MacPherson says:

You don’t want to let people addicted to control, money and power get a foothold into your lives. Sure, they always roll out tyranny with clever marketing “you want to stop energy loss don’t you?” But no city on earth would spend the money they spent to put up IR cameras to help people detect heat loss..that’s the most obviously false excuse I have ever read. Most american cities are going Bankrupt so the money had to come from …wait for it… HOMELAND SECURITY.

43. Randy Brown says:

THE LOSS OF ALL PRIVACY IS UPON US AND I WONDER WILL WE LIKE SHEEP GIVE UP OUR RIGHT FOR A LITTLE MORE SAFETY. CANT REMEMBER WHO SAID IT, THOSE THAT WOULD TRADE FREEDOM FOR SAFETY DESERVE NEITHER!

44. Dennis says:

thermal camera oprerator to buddy ” Dude check out these to thermal ‘flare ups’ goin at it! wow check out those two heat signatures on her chest wow!, are you getting this on your cell?” uh yeah it’ll happen

45. billy smart says:

These cameras will easily find any home grower of marijuana, easier than daytime aerial photos of crop fields.

46. Abstractor says:

Hey, quit your complaining. You got a problem with whats going on, learn from the unions. Import people from out of state, via buses, and march on, and protest, and take over state buildings like they did in Wisconson. Not that it worked, but hey, it was fun and it gave the striking workers here at the honeywell plant something to do. I mean, all they were doing was standing around holding signs anyway. LOL Really, do what the tea party people did. Unelect the jerks. Send them packing. Get involved. Or just submit to your fate. Advise from a somewhat freer kentuckian. (1st state to be called in the last presidential election, and it wasn’t for the big O.

47. DNice says:

Wicked bad when we’re fawkin.

48. rj says:

People this issue has been settled in the Supreme Court, your house is your castle, no one has the right in determining what goes on beyond your door, period. Not without a warrant no how, no time.

Emotion has nothing to do with this, it is a matter of law.

1. Htos1 says:

Good luck w/that and dimocrats “making up” laws,as they’ve done since 1964($47 trillion,too)

2. Derpper says:

Ya, a matter of law that they ignore on multiple occasions. I agree, it’s illegal, that’s why I’ll gladly do a jail bid for breaking one, if I see one. But, they will do what they want, unless we do something about it. Speaking of searches and warrants and stuff, Patriot act ignores all law, still there and used every day and night. Heck, they just read my simple post.

49. Roscoe says:

So how do Deval Patrick and Obama react to the ACLU blocking a worthwhile project to “green” up the city of Boston and help reduce our dependence on foreign oil? Sounds like dueling Democratic metaphors to me.

50. John says:

All Federal, State and local government employees should be required upon taking office to take an oath that they will not use such technologies against the public. Violation should involve life imprisonment. That’s the only solution for such rapidly escalating and advancing privacy violation tools coming into the market. And that is merely a start, the tip of the iceberg for this problem, but a fundamentally necessary start.

1. Htos1 says:

Don’t forget that these same employees should undergo random drug testing like the militarty and leo’s.

2. newjerseybt says:

An Oath requires MORALS!!! Not gonna happen.

51. IN MEMORY OF MARY JO says:

42 years ago this coming July – http://www.FATBOY.cc

Thanks MASS MOONBATS!

1. Hex says:

AAA doesn’t care about Mary Jo, man! He’stupid.

52. Htos1 says:

NOT if you use aluminized mylar overlay on top of the tyvek used in construction.It will will block ALL thermal and electromagnetic radiation,in or out.Also,as good,electrically connect & ground the wire grid used under stucco,we do a lot of that here in Florida.Don’t forget the attic space coverage.

53. tom says:

As I understand it, they can only use cameras like this with a court order. Since the average person doesn’t have this kind of technology, it isn’t the same as just using a pair of binos for surveillance

54. DC says:

This is what the holy scripture was warning mankind about. The mark of the beast the all seeing eye!

55. Diogenes says:

Kyllo v US (2001) Supreme Court of US said the use of thermal inaging is a Fourth Amendment violation. It requires a warrant to use on insides of homes without consent.

1. newjerseybt says:

Much of the Constitution has been violated already. Forget about it.

56. Ben Dover says:

Suuuiiiiiiii, pig,pig,pig,pig,,,,oink….they’re coming for you, Barbara….

57. ByteRider says:

I worked on a few hyperspectral cameras designed to spy on other countries for the Navy. These cameras use Seimens arrays and are able to see 20 miles, through cloud cover, through polution, thru a brick wall. I could tell the kind of undies you were wearing! The military has a spectral image database of signatures that can be matched– so I can tell not only that your undies are cotton, but who manuf. them, too.

And none of this is “secret”, heck there are magazines on this technology. The Seimens arrays cost $50K for an engineering grade, and 70K+ for a scientific grade [a lousey one vs a good one, that is.. they are “grown” and not manufactured].

The government even has a way of finding you based on your voice, anywhere in a city, pin pointing your locale to the square inch. How? see the company called “ShotSpotter” whose technology has been adapted to detect voice signatures, not just gunshot signatures.

You people are spied on so much you don’t even know it… its funny. And you whine about a measley low band infrared signature? Pullleeeseee.. get real.

1. swiftcall says:

I worked for a company I cannot name, and we did routine camera surveillance practically everywhere. To our credit, we wrote software that edited out areas not under surveillance from being captured. Mostly I worked with Israeli chips here in the US, but I hear our stuff is much better (not cheaper). I mean, try to get tech support from Israel….

Anyway, it’s not all gloom and doom. Some people in government, about half, respect our rights. The rest could give a damn at all….

58. so much for whacking it in private.

59. Pat Henry says:

Simple fix … the lightweight survival/”space” blankets can be used to block IR viewing.

60. Gus says:

So….a little bit of ‘HEAT BETWEEN THE SHEETS’ would be clearly detected by these random surveillances?

Hmmmm, which do I want to be? A TSA agent viewing the ‘equipment’ up close and personal or an environmental voyeur watching the ‘equipment’ in action? Tough choice!

61. Wm says:

I think that I am going to patten a manikin that heats up, that is holding guns. Keep several of them up against the wall of each room to keep cops from even thinking of making an entry.

62. Fisher1949 says:

I’m sure the ACLU will be just as successful on this as they have been with the naked scanners and gropings in airports. All bluster and no results.

Just more government intrusion into our personal liberties. Soon you’ll be told what you can eat, where you can go and will be watched 24/7. The problem is that too many sheeple are content to let themselves be turned into subjects because they trust government that views them with contempt..

This is a sad states of affairs and is heading for a major upheaval in one direction or another.

1. newjerseybt says:

The ACLU did NOT want to be successful. Just a show. They purposely throw the public a bone once in a while to appear on the side of the people. They are more interested in things like school prayer.

63. john says:

Another reason I will never live in north of the Mason-Dixon Line.

64. Liz says:

I have a family member that works for the government and 2 friends in the military. Yes, they do have equipment that can see into a building. DO NOT be naive. This is our government we are talking about.. They can do almost anything they want!

65. bitmap79 says:

There are reasons the US is 14 trillion dollars in debt and advanced thermal imaging is one of them. The temptation to abuse technology originally developed for legitimate purposes is great. Our God given rights protected by the Constitution are simple yet there is a multitude of (mostly) well meaning idiots out there who only want to “help us for our own good” by walking all over those simple, precious rights.

66. Joe says:

1984

My passport is ready!

67. jb says:

Years ago Nova had a program talking about quantum tunneling. A Swedish physicist demonstrated that light from a flashlight could be detected on the other side of a brick wall, at tiny levels not visible to the human eye. This after an American college professor interviewed said such a thing couldn’t be done. When the American guy was showed what the Swede had proved, he said, “Will, there’s no way anything useful could come of it.” The show then panned back to the Swede, who demonstrated transmitted a piece of Mozart music, digitized and sent on a light wave, through the brick wall, the light signal picked up, amplified, and played on the other side of the wall.

68. Tom says:

The Supreme Court decided this in June 2001 involving someone who was growing marijuana. Read Kyllo v. United States, 533 U.S. 27 (2001). The Court ruled, “Where, as here, the Government uses a device that is not in general public use, to explore details of the home that would previously have been unknowable without physical intrusion, the surveillance is a “search” and is presumptively unreasonable without a warrant.”

69. HEBGB says:

I can’t believe if they do this , that the cameras wouldn’t be shot out. Who could blame them, as they were acting in self defense against the invasion of privacy. Don’t even go to if you’re not doing anything wrong, as it is not an adequate argument.

70. adam says:

Ok anyone who does not think thermals can see through a wall is not very bright. granted it depends on the type of optic but i know some can because we used them in Afghanistan. now this is not going to show a detailed view of you it would just be a blob of color( simplified way to explain) so you dont have to worry about any secret porn videos of you online. Now wether you feel this is still to much or not is a matter of comfort and opinion. For those who have never served in military or higher tear law enforcement or worked on this technology professionally please stop spreading your ignorance. you are the same person who thought google maps was laughable until it happened. Now the way the government might try to get around this is by saying they are using a lower level thermal that does not show the inside to get around the whole warrant mess and thats when this will turn into a real battle. for now its to broad for either side to make an informed stand on the specifics, just keep on news updates like a hawk and research the type when its reveled. if they wont tell a specific kind then its a cause for concern in my opinion

71. Freedom. says:

anyone who invades the privacy of a free american endangers their own life. Do so at your own risk

1. swiftcall says:

Here’s another good one: “The right to privacy means – butt out!”

A simple one-liner I have had a hard time explaining to about half the government employees I have worked with.

I mean, we could end up like England, with people dying at intersections as they brake at the last minute after noticing the speed-trap radar/camera….

What happened in England could still happen in the US unless we are vigilant about keeping our freedoms under the Constitution.

72. buck says:

Say hello to big brother…
    ======================
    Buck
    http;//www.seedcatalog.com
    Heirloom Seeds, ‘How God grows His garden.”

73. Jonathan Melton says:

This is an outrage. And a definite 4th Amendment violation.

74. swiftcall says:

I grew up in safety with freedom cameras.

75. biffula says:

Surveillance cameras have never stopped any crime. They only allow police the opportunity to solve a crime. And even then they arent foolproof. And to all of you dolts who think we need more of them and that if your not doing anyhting wrong you ohave nothing to hide types, then list your name and address below. I’m going to have the feds install their new ‘In Home’ surveillance cams in your houses first. I mean you know, after all, if you’re doing nothing wrong, you’ve got nothing to hide.

76. Chris says:

This is a stupid story. It’s already unconstitutional. The case is Kyllo v. US. Nice try sensationalizing this one though.

77. mark says:

Once thermal cameras are widespread there will hardly be anything we can get away with.

78. John Smitih says:

Unbelievable now we are going to have COMMIES look at peoples home and tell them to upgrade there homes or else get fined big time!!!! ENOUGH IS ENOUGH – when you vote for DEMOCRATS AND RINOS this is what you get a COMMIE STATE Where they tell you have to live and us it tax and fine people and put them in jail if they do not comply!!! LIBERALISM IS A MENTAL DISORDER, these people are SOCIOPATHS! and very dangerous to our freedoms – plus it is UNCONSTITUTIONAL!!! THERE IS NO SUCH THING IS MAN-MADE GLOBAL WARMING!!! YOU USEFUL IDIOTS OUT THERE ARE BUYING into this garbage, it is the NEW COMMIES WAY TO GET CONTROL – 1st it is your life through GOV health care, next it is your 2nd Amendment next it is your 1st amendment and next your property and next your back account and 401K and IRA!!!

79. Tyrone says:

The main reason this project got tanked is it showed all of the BFD drug parties and where their grow houses were.

80. John R says:

I’m a systems engineer, 12 experience, SWIR, MWIR, LWIR, hyperspectral, GPR, and LIDAR systems.

No way an IR camera sees through your walls. Period. The physics just aren’t there.

This heat-loss tracking is a sound and good idea for an IR camera. These guys are probably using an inexpensive, commerical-oiff-the-shelf uncooled MWIR with a wide FOV lens. That’s what I’d use. Anything more is pointless overkill that eats into their bottom line.

But, just like somebody shouldn’t be snooping around taking photos of your house with a common digitial camera without your permission, someone shouldn’t be doing it with an IR camera, either. The exact, exact same principles apply. It’s a matter of respect, and of privacy.

1. IR Consultant says:

Agreed.

Only they will most likely be using Long Wave. The atmosphere is semi-opaque to Mid Wave so you will not find industrial imagers in MWIR. LWIR is cheaper and more available that SWIR as they don’t require cooling. They also work better at long ranges.

81. eddwal50 says:

so why aren’t people upset with fire depts having IR cameras

82. KNOW THIS PEOPLE says:

Just so everyone knows, AAA IS REALLY STUPID!

1. Derpper says:

Or, AAA is so wise, we simply see him/her as stupid and only prove ourselves to be the stupid ones? I submit, AAA might be intelligent, just a special kind of intelligence that can’t quite understand yet… Like ET, he couldn’t talk and barely made sense. He seemed pretty dumb, but he had a spaceship…. I wonder if AAA has a spaceship?? (0o)

83. nobody says:

I wonder what the German secret police would have done with IR cameras. Probably good things like check for energy leaks and other helpful stuff. Funny how some people think it’s OK to violate another person’s rights. After all, it’s OK to wire tap a suspected terrorist’s phone, just as long as they don’t tap anyone’s phone…I wonder who decides who the terrorists, or criminals are?

1. Derpper says:

Energy leak, Jew in the attic, same thing in the eyes of these Nazis.

84. AAA, Jr. says:

Thank God for the ACLU … they are always right … they keep us protected from those darn Republicans … The ACLU is not afraid to protect the rights of everyone and to help everyone, even the KKK, Al Qaida, the Black Panthers and other freedom loving groups …

AAA is stupid!!!!!

85. Edwin says:

If you aren’t doing anything wrong, you have nothing to worry about.

1. Moishe says:

That’s what the German Jews thought in 1939.

1. Pierre says:

That’s also what the Russians thought before they played hockey against the USA in the ’80 Olympics.

You are almost as tupid as AAA.

2. ericdb says:

What is someone decides that something is “wrong” that I don’t think is “wrong”. mmmm?

86. Ron Paul 2012 says:

What gives them the right to peer into everyones home from the street or from space. They are breaking the law.

87. don says:

Hm, our 21st century government or your employer can see through your walls at will, force you to participate in commerce under penalty of law, and the government can even draft your butt and make you pay for an undeclared war; gee, even the 19th century American slave had more privacy rights.

88. IR Consultant says:

Wow. There certainly is quite a bit of confusion about thermal imagers and how they work. When you point an imaging radiometer at an object it “sees” infrared radiation from one of three sources (i.e., emission: that radiation that is being emitted by an object; Reflection: that radiation that is reflecting of of the object from other sources; Transmission: that radiation that is being transmitted through the object from sources on the other side. This is as true for a $5k imager as it is for a $100K imager.

Since most materials that comprise a home are non-tranmissive (i.e., that are opaque to infrared radiation). None of these imagers can see “through” the roof, walls, etc, of a home. They only see the surface temperature, which may be influenced by what is inside the home, but they don’t see into the home. This is true for IR in general and applies to industrial, military, fire/rescue.

BTW: the reason firefiighters use IR is not to see through the walls, but to see through smoke.

It’s still a dumb idea to do this en-mass and a waste of the publics’ money without active participations from the property owners, but it’s not going to reveal couples in their bedrooms.

89. Rose says:

I’m sorry, but hasn’t this government intrusion thing gotten out of hand?

90. Al says:

Seems a lot of people don’t understand the scope and power of the technology available in todays world. 20+ years ago they took a picture of the space shuttle as it flew over Hawaii with enough resolution to see if the heat resistant tiles had cracks in them. Not to see if they were missing, but if they had CRACKS in them. Our government (I’ve read) uses safe room technology in many buildings because you can listen to a conversation in a room from a nearby building from the vibrations of the glass windows… so the fact that heat signatures from radiant body heat being ‘read’ through walls should come as no surprise to anyone.

91. Eyeball says:

Governing officials wont be happy until they can get pictures of you when you are naked and doing it.

92. IraqVet says:

For a state that keeps reelecting Bonnie Frank and I wrote my own Purple Hearts to get out of Vietnam Kerry…They deserve it, just for being the ignorant dolts they have become.

93. Grant says:

This is most likely illegal. See, Kyllo v. United States, 533 U.S. 27 (2001).

The Supreme Court characterizes how relatively warm someone their home as an “intimate detail” – protected by the 4th Amendment. Id at 39.

The Court specifically rejects the argument that the a thermal imaging device can only see the relative temperature of the exterior surface. Id at 30.

If the City resumes the scanning, I’m sure someone who was scanned will file suit with the support of an organization like the ACLU. The City would need to spend millions defending the practice. It’s just not worth it. The City should offer to scan whoever is interested for free. Consent solves all 4th amendment problems.

94. izman says:

It would be nice to hear people took their shotguns and blow those cameras apart….

95. izman62 says:

It’s amazing how average sheeps will give up more of their liberty for so-call safety. We all know that is nothing but lies. The only one that can gurantee your safety is yourself. Tell this invasive groups to go to hell…

96. Osamas Pajamas says:

We are ruled by armed force and by fraud by thugs and gangsters, by bloodsxcking tax-eaters, by spies, spooks, and snoops. We need to turn the tables on them and SPY ON EVERYONE WHO WORKS FOR THE GOVERNMENT — all the politicians, bureaucrats, and government employees. Accord them “zero” privacy. Publish all their names and addresses and their family identities, and how much these overpaid, over-bonused, over-benefitted, and over-pensioned bloodsxckers receive in tax money and tax-paid goodies, what properties and accounts they own and where and what’s in them and worth how much and how did they gain “ownership” of all this — and an automatic and unappealable death penalty for any lies, falsifications, or subterfuges. This policy will “shrink government” real quick as the rats abandon ship and scurry off to someplace without extradition treaties with the USA. Government is not a public service — it’s a racket run by lying, thieving, dope-smoking, pill-popping, coke-snorting, sticky-fingered, bloodsxcking, tax-eating, gun-stealing, predatory humanitarian thugs.

97. ericdb says:

Welcome to your socialist paradise.

98. Jon W says:

So the 4th Amendment has died in MA. Next up…a court rulling stating that there is no reasonable presumption of privacy in your home since the government has the means to overturn that fact.

99. David from San Diego says:

“The Supreme Court today [11 June 2001], in Kyllo vs. U.S. [533 U.S. 27 (2001)], ruled that authorities scanning a home with an infrared camera without a warrant constituted an unreasonable search barred by the Fourth Amendment.” OF COURSE, THE CONSTITUTION BECAME OBSOLETE WITH THE ADOPTION OF THE “PATRIOT ACT” JUST A FEW MONTHS AFTER THE KYLLO DECISION.

100. zef says:

Glad I don’t live in Boston, it’s getting out of control in the US,
    or should I say the USsr.

101. Mike 'Chemo' McDermott says:

This is the strategy Mumbles will use to enforce his ‘healthy choices’ ban on carbonated sugary sodas & drinks. Someone in the privacy of their own living room sipping a ‘Big Gulp’ with abandon will show up with a BLUE digestive tract. Yet another person playing whiskey shots ‘checkers’ will show a red, warm & fuzzy belly. This is how the Boston KGB will catch those Snapple scofflaws & punish them appropriately… in stocks at Government Center… !!!

PS: Born & raised on Mission Hill, living in quiet Tyngsboro 15 years & counting…

102. Ursus Indomitus says:

Can they see the people giving them the ” Universal Single Finger Salute”?

103. zenbuckaroo says:

ACLU is afraid they might reveal where their pot suppliers are producing their supplies

104. FireGuyFrank says:

This whole project sounds fishy to me.

105. w18902 says:

Use your favorite search engine for “thermal images of houses” to see what can be seen of house interiors. So far, I have not found one where you could identify any interior objects, people, pets, or any shapes whatsoever, even through windows.

1. chris says:

you’re correct because IR can’t see through walls/glass/brick- physically impossible. energy can escape through vents and poorly insulated homes which will appear as glowing energy on the outside of the structure but it won’t penetrate through. you’re simply capturing energy with a thermal camera- it’s a passive sensor.
      i’ve been working with these devices for the last 8 years of my life- i know what they are and are not capable of doing. this story is a crock and all it does is get people worked up over absolutely nothing.

106. Dominic says:

People, thermal cameras can not see through homes or windows. You can see what is going on inside a home looking through a window better than with a thermal camera.

107. SideshowBob says:

15 yr veteran of the force here. Some IR imaging cameras certainly can see human shapes through thin wooden walls. They can see people right through a curtained window like it was wide open. Those cameras worked well for watching subjects through the walls and windows sitting in their living room smoking their crack pipes. They also work for watching people having sex through thin walls or curtained windows. The body heat makes them light up like bouncing christmas trees.

1. chris says:

you’re wrong. no IR cameras see through buildings/walls or glass- it’s physically impossible. i know this because i build and sell them for a living.

108. Kevin says:

This has nothing to do with protecting the environment and everything to do with spying and Government reaching more into your life. Unfortunately most Americans are too addicted to sports and bad TV to even care.

109. chris says:

thermal cameras (i.e. mid wave/long wave IR) cannot see through buildings or windows. i know this because we manufacture and sell them. and while it’s true that you can see studs in a wall with IR, you’re not actually seeing through the wall- you’re just seeing a temperature delta because the stud has changed the outer surface temp of the wall.
    there are gray areas when it comes to law enforcement and how IR can and cannot be used. grow houses are one of these instances. grow rooms put off a tremendous energy signature and are (usually) easily identifiable with an IR camera. the problem is that’s not enough evidence to gather a search warrant because you don’t have probable cause- you simply have a pretty good indication that a grow house is there.
    from there, the undercover guys have a starting point to gather evidence and take it down.

110. Odins Acolyte says:

the citizens who care already know of these cameras. It is immoral. It is wrong. They have no right or reason. What the government will get is insurrection. No less than it deserves.

111. MGM says:

This is what Americans want. They loves this security because it keeps al Qaeda out of their bedrooms. They love a Police State and a criminal non-American Soetoro running their illegal poxy parties. Less liberties and more security make them feel safe so they can watch football and worry about Hollywood. Put us Sheep in a FEMA camp, then we can be free! “”

1. Bob W says:

Slavery = Freedom

112. Realityblowz says:

Any device that is NOT using radio waves, can NOT see through walls. They cannot even see through glass. Thermal being FLIR or Infrared can only detect the surface image (temp) and develop a picture. You need a radio wave to penetrate a solid surface, and bounce back to the detector device. I cannot believe the ignorance from some of the posts on here. Nothing but a bunch of sheep.

113. Bob W says:

Going to war in Libya without Congressional approval should tell you all you need to know about how seriously our nation regards the Constitution. Right now, pretty much anythiing goes, including strangers sticking their hands down your kids pants at airports.

114. beefrank says:

Reminds me of the last scene in ‘The World is Not Enough’ where Dr Christmas Jones and James Bond are generating a poignant thermal image proving Christmas ‘comes more than once a year’.

115. Ozlanthos says:

So let me get this straight…..We are so budget-strapped cash-poor, that we have to borrow money from China just to cover the interest payments on our existing loans….but we can afford higly sophisticated IR cameras to monitor homes with? Does anyone else see something wrong with this picture?

116. MartyB4 says:

This article is telling you that people can be seen in their homes and yet posters here are protesting that this can’t be done??? seriously??? The story is whether or not this is right. I say it’s an invasion of privacy. Regardless of whether or not some energy company can save me money on my energy costs… they need to stay out of my business!

117. Mark says:

I have a $8k thermal imager made by ATN and it’s a state of the art, non-cooled design. I use it for boating safety, as if someone falls over board, you can see them in the water really well at night. It’s a myth that you can see through walls with this technology. I think the media has over-hyped this one. Are we surprised??

118. steve says:

Ok everyone…its hard not to comment on this level of ignorance. THE SUPREME COURT ALREADY RULED ON THIS. The comment above that was called “stupid” about seeing when “the lady of the house takes a bath” …that was… A QUOTE OF THE SUPREME COURT RULING.

I have read the damned ruling. Look it up already. The ruling states that ANY technology that could be used…not to see, but to determine anything about whats going on inside someones house, no matter how granular (since granularity can change over time) REQUIRES a warrent.

So all your comments about how IR cameras work, and whether they see through windows is nice…. but the supreme court already ruled you wrong. Take it up with them.

119. John R says:

I can’t believe the level of BS that keeps appearing in my inbox because I signed up for this thread. People, IR cameras cannot see through walls and into your house. They can only measure the emissions from the exterior walls of your house. Just like ordinary cameras, which measure the light reflected by your walls, IR cameras measure the heat emitted from your walls. It is pretty near damn the same thing, the only difference being that IR cameras measure wavelengths that your eye can’t.

There is no highly advanced military system that can easily peer through walls. If there were, it would not be an IR system. Lightwaves within the range of IR cameras simply cannot penetrate walls. They cannot even penetrate glass. A kit of misunderstanding exists in this regard. A lot of people have appeared here saying that they’ve been in the military, that they have operated IR systems that can see through clothes and even walls. Well I’ve been a designer of such systems. No, they cannot see through walls and they cannot see through clothes. Not an IR system, anyway. Those airport scanners that peer through bags and clothes? Those are x-ray scanners, not IR scanners.

Infrared techonology cannot see through walls. Period. It simply can’t. The physics simply aren’t there. IR can see at night, it can give you visual clues as to where heat sources and heat sinks are, it can provide you with useful signatures of heat emission patterns that, if you’re real real good, might give you some clues as to what is going on behind walls. BUT. IR CAMERAS CANNOT SEE THROUGH WALLS. NOT NOW, NOT THEN, NOT TOMORROW.

Don’t let anybody tell you otherwise. Those who try to sell you on this simply are wrong. They either never worked with IR technology, or they were misled by what they saw. IR technology does provide useful imagery. But it’s not magic. It comes with a ton of constraints. It doesn’t make you Superman.

120. ronald says:

it only shows heat lost and so on nothing private in a home there just jelous or are paranoid of growing plants and so on

121. i am looking for a way to stop sweating. any tip’s?

122. chauncey billups says:

I am usually just an observer when it comes to blogs, but this actually made me want to leave a comment. Fantastic work!

123. debt says:

Zure ipuinak irakurri izan ditut, baina hau da nire lehena behar duzu, i maite zure lana

124. disc says:

Izan dut blog hau irakurtzen noizbait, gaur egun, it ordea hartu du me nahiz eta kaixo esan. I nahi esan esker i actually eskertzen zure mezu

125. Mr Mathmos says:

FYI thermal imaging cameras can see through glass, the only image they will see is the glass panel itself. However if the window was made from sapphire then TI cameras would see inside albeit just a thermal image.