Mitt Romney Announces Presidential Exploratory Committee

By Philip Elliott, Associated Press

WASHINGTON (AP) — Republican Mitt Romney on Monday took the first steps toward a second presidential bid, telling supporters in an economy-focused announcement that he had formed an exploratory committee to begin a White House run.

“It is time that we put America back on a course of greatness, with a growing economy, good jobs and fiscal discipline in Washington,” the former Massachusetts governor said in a video posted on his website and on Facebook.

WBZ’s Jon Keller discusses the timing of Romney’s announcement:

Romney, who came up short in his 2008 presidential bid, hammered President Barack Obama’s stewardship of the economy and offered a preview of his expected campaign theme: Romney is a proven business executive while Obama remains unqualified to lead.

“Across the nation, over 20 million Americans still can’t find a job or have given up looking,” Romney said.

“How has this happened in the nation that leads the world in innovation and productivity? The answer is that President Obama’s policies have failed. He and virtually all the people around him have never worked in the real economy. They just don’t know how jobs are created in the private sector.”

Keller At Large: Will Second Time Work?

Romney, a businessman who ran Salt Lake City’s Winter Olympics, has lined up donors, staff and advisers for his expected presidential bid. He has quietly built a by-the-books campaign organization that is stacked with experienced presidential operatives.

In his under-three-minute announcement video, recorded Monday at the University of New Hampshire, he underscored what is expected to be his overarching campaign theme.

“From my vantage point in business and in government, I have become convinced that America has been put on a dangerous course by Washington politicians, and it has become even worse during the last two years,” Romney said. “But I am also convinced that with able leadership, America’s best days are still ahead.”

(Copyright 2011 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)

  • Mike


    You have got my vote. We need to focus on jobs, getting our budgets and debt managable. I look forward to seeing you on the campaigne trail.

  • CEO

    Mitt’s the best man for the job. The fact that the Dems in Massachusetts continue to attack him will only improve his chances to win at the national level.

  • Nad

    Mitt can’t win, but Donald Trump could. The Republicans need to field a viable candidate.

  • timma

    a few years ago i woulda voted for him. but he, like most everyother politician, is just an opportunist and will say ANYTHING to get a vote. getting him to answer anything is like nailing jello to a tree

  • Dan

    See the tweet that started it all and learn about the plan Romney supporters have to Show Mitt the Money:

  • Matt

    The Real Mitt Romney!!

  • 1608

    Make him the mayor of boston.

  • Area 51

    Willard creeps me out because he reminds me alot of Odo the changeling character from Star Trek.

  • Mitt Romney Announces Presidential Exploratory Committee - MassCops

    […] […]

  • jaygee

    98% of the adults in this country are decent, hardworking, honest Americans. It’s the other lousy 2% that get all of the publicity. But then, we elected them.
    It doesn’t matter which political party has the power since once elected they only represent the top 5%, which is the rich. They make promises when running for office that they know they won’t keep but as long as the fools believe it, that’s all that matters.

  • Cinque

    You might be a Republican if you’ve tried to argue that poverty could be abolished if people were allowed to keep more of their minimum wage. Or if you’ve ever uttered the phrase,”why don’t we bomb the SOB’s. Or if Vietnam made a lot of sense to you. Or you’ve ever said “clean air, it looks clean to me”.

  • Mitt Romney Announces Presidential Exploratory Committee | Whats Hot

    […] Mitt Romney Announces Presidential Exploratory Committee […]

  • Keller @ Large: Good Luck Mitt Romney « CBS Boston

    […] (CBS) – Good luck to Mitt Romney as he starts his second run for president. He’s going to need […]

blog comments powered by Disqus
Taz Show
Download Weather App

Listen Live