BREAKING NEWS: 5 Dead in I-495 Crash In Middleboro  | Watch WBZ-TV Live  | Listen Live WBZ NewsRadio 1030
WBZ-TV Transmission Issue Update: More

Massachusetts McDonalds Restaurants Part Of Hiring Blitz

By Kate Merrill, WBZ-TV

BOSTON (CBS) — Charlie Broughton has been working his way up the McDonalds chain since he was 15.

Broughton says, “When I was a crew member I was here to make money. When I got older I liked the industry, and I liked this business, and I was good at it.”

Twelve years later, he’s the manager at the Soldiers Field Rd location in Boston. He puts in a lot of hours, even works Christmas, but he loves what he does, and he loves the possibilities.

WBZ-TV’s Kate Merrill reports.

“I like fast paced, not sitting at a desk.”

And soon, McDonalds will be looking for more just like Broughton. In a hiring blitz, the company plans to hire 50,000 across the country in just one day.

Broughton says, “We are having an event at every restaurant and everyone is welcome to come. We’ll have interviews right on site and we’ll check references on site and we’ll see if we can get careers started.”

And the jobs aren’t just flipping burgers. There can be much more at McDonalds if you want.

“McDonalds is more than meets eye. It’s not just flipping burgers, and that’s the word we are trying to get out there… not a minimum wage job. We can make a career out of what we do here,” said Broughton.

It’s worked for Broughton, who plans to spend his future under the golden arches. He says, “I want to stay with McDonalds, and whatever opportunity arises I’d like to go after them.”

The event takes place on April 19th at every McDonalds location.

More from Kate Merrill

1. TiaMaria says:

Thanks, Kate. Empty Nester here…. After raising 4 educated and good kids, I need a job!

2. Randy says:

I don’t care what they say, try to say, or what they try to make sound-better.

I don’t care what position you have with McDonald’s or what you actually do as being an employee – manager or not.

If you work at McDonald’s period, your “flipping burgers” for a fast food grease joint no matter what.

Also, I don’t care what McDonald’s says.. because their products and business are what makes our country (U.S.) fat and unhealthy. If you work for them – shame on you.

1. Sam says:

Randy, blaming a corporation for people being fat is just ignorant. How about self control? Free will? People have the choice every day what they decide to put in their bodies. Placing the blame on anyone other than yourself for your actions? Well now that is shameful and cowardly.

3. TiaMaria says:

Good God, will leave and maybe comeback…..

4. ES says:

I am very proud to work for this company. End of story.

5. Ron says:

This is from one of the other stories online regarding this:

“Like many fast-food chains, McDonald’s typically ramps up its payrolls every year to prepare for the busy summer months. This year, the fast-food giant decided to use its announcement as a platform for company managers to stress the career potential of a company and industry that has come to be associated with low-wage, dead-end employment.”

Basically they do this every year, the workers are very unlikely to be around past the summer, but this is the first time McD’s has chosen to make it into a publicity stunt for free advertising by hiring X workers in Y day(s).

6. Veronica Mateo says:

OMG wow is an oppurtunity to the people to get a work and well all know that this Restaurant is popular

7. Annette Therrien says:

I think it’s great that they’re being so public about the hire and really discussing the benefits. Sure, for many it IS just flipping burgers, but if that puts money in your pocket, helps you build your customer service skills, food service skills, or management skills, then you really are gaining something from it!