NEWwbztv-small wbz-am-small 985-small mytv38web2

Local

Boston South End Fire Sends Five To Hospital

View Comments
Five people were sent to the hospital when a fire started in an apartment in the South End Monday.

Five people were sent to the hospital when a fire started in an apartment in the South End Monday.

Get Breaking News First

Receive News, Politics, and Entertainment Headlines Each Morning.
Sign Up

BOSTON (CBS) — Five people, including one firefighter, were sent to the hospital Monday night after an unattended candle started a fire in an apartment building in Boston’s South End.

The fire started just before 6:30 p.m. in a brick apartment building on Yarmouth Street. The fire alarm in the building quickly sending residents into the street. “Just flames, flames coming out, bursting out,” said resident George Katsilieris.

When crews got there they say they saw fire on the fourth floor. A woman in the apartment where the fire started was burned on her face, two of her children suffered smoke inhalation, and all were transported to the hospital. 

WBZ-TV’s Beth Germano reports.

“She was the last one to get out,” said neighbor Jocelyn Choate. 

“I didn’t know she was burned until we got downstairs.  I thought it was just soot.  I think she was in shock,” she said. 

A Boston firefighter was also injured fighting the blaze. A fifth person, an adult, was also taken to the hospital to be treated for smoke inhalation. No word on any of their conditions.

Residents in all third and fourth floor apartments had to make other arrangements for the night due to smoke and water damage.  Residents say it spread so quickly many didn’t have time to put on their shoes. 

Damage is estimated to be about $200,000. 

Investigators say it started on the top floor by an unattended candle.

WBZ-TV’s Beth Germano contributed to this report.

View Comments
blog comments powered by Disqus