Collapsed Roof Repairs May Have Sparked Easton Fire
EASTON (CBS) – Firefighters from six towns were battling a fire in Easton Friday morning.
WBZ-TV’s Bill Shields reports from Easton
Flames broke out at a building on Lois Lane right off of Washington Street. It was in a warehouse owned by Edwards Movers, a moving and storage company.
This same building partially collapsed back in February under the weight of heavy snow.
Just yesterday, moving crews had begun pulling out furniture and storage crates from inside the damaged building. Most of those items were spared from the flames.
Investigators say the fire likely started on that roof, where workers were using an acetylene torch to repair the structure.
“The crews that were working inside did try to knock the fire down with extinguishers but it grew too fast,” said Easton Fire Chief Tom Stone.
There were no reports of any injuries.