NH Murder Suspect Testifies About Killing

By Karen Anderson, WBZ-TV

NASHUA, N.H. (CBS) – Christopher Gribble was back on the stand Tuesday afternoon in his insanity trial.  Gribble was trying to convince a jury he was insane when he killed Kimberly Cates and left her daughter Jaimie to die.

Gribble talked about the beginning of the crime spree with Steven Spader.  They began breaking into the home of a family Gribble knew from church.

Related: New Hampshire’s House votes to expand the state’s death penalty law over Cates’ murder

He read texts he wrote to his ex-girlfriend about his dark side:

“I can’t seem to make it through life the way religion says too (sic). I’ve tried letting my nice side run things. It didn’t work.  Now the dark side of me will…”

WBZ-TV’s Karen Anderson reports

“What life are you talking about?” His ex-girlfriend texted back.

Gribble’s response: “whatever keeps me going.  Steve and I have plans now.”

Gribble then began talking about planning the Mont Vernon murder.  He says he was upset about his breakup with his girlfriend, but they were in the process of reconciling.

He said ring leader Steve Spader told him that he had a “job” and had scoped out a home in a remote area with another friend. Gribble says Spader told him what to bring, including gloves, acetone and rope. He said Spader would text him and refer to it as bringing supplies for a “party.”   He says they planned to meet at Walmart at midnight.

Gribble says he had snuck out with his ex-girlfriend, when he got a text from Spader that they were ready.  Gribble brought some weapons from his home.  He says “the knife was on a sheath that was on my belt.” Gribble bragged about his driving skills, and said he was the one who usually drove.

Gribble later described how they changed into dark clothes.

David Cates, all along, was in the courtroom surrounded by family and friends, listening as he has throughout this trial and the trial of Gribble’s friend Steven Spader.

1. jerry says:

This kid is why there should be a death penalty in this country everywhere ,this kid is twisted and diseases like this should be put to death . Instead of putting poor cats or dogs to sleep put jerks like this that kill people to sleep instead .

2. LeeKelly says:

I don’t know why we have to waste money on a trial. He should be shot, not given airtime.

3. Mary O Smith says:

I am very upset at the detailed coverage this case is being given. The public is not being served with all these horrific details. I do not agree that this kind of news should be given such a high profile on television.

4. Vera Carroll says:

POS – bull on the insanity defense. He knows darn well what he did and he thinks it is a big joke. Kill him NOW.

5. Brian says:

This is the typical behavior of a person raised by Republicans.

6. Dave Reynolds says:

We support the New Hampshire legislature and the Governor’s support of the bill to make home invasion murders punishable by death penalty. Fellow Massachusetts voters should wake up to the possibility of this evil manifesting itself in our state.

7. posicionamiento web en buscadores says:

I used to be suggested this blog by means of my cousin. I’m now not positive whether this publish is written by way of him as nobody else understand such specified about my difficulty. You’re amazing! Thanks!

8. facebook fans says:

I’m really inspired together with your writing abilities as well as with the structure for your blog. Is this a paid theme or did you customize it yourself? Either way stay up the nice quality writing, it is uncommon to look a great blog like this one today..