Man Killed Walking On I-93 In Wilmington

WILMINGTON (CBS) – A pedestrian was struck and killed by a tractor-trailer on Interstate 93 Thursday morning.

State police say the man was walking on the northbound side of the highway when he was hit around 11:30 a.m. He has been identified as Edward Ruff, 83, of Tewksbury.

Ruff had reportedly walked across four lanes of traffic to retrieve a hubcap from the grassy median. He then started to cross back over the highway to his parked car when he was hit in the rightmost travel lane.

The crash, between Exits 39 and 40, shut down two lanes of the highway for more than an hour.

1. Wizard says:

I hate it when this sort of thing happens during my commute.
    Fortunately, I was SOUTHbound at the time this happened!

2. terri says:

that’s horrible

3. Pete says:

I’m so glad you weren’t inconvenienced by another person’s tragic death.

4. Mrs. H. says:

My husband actually witnessed the accident.

5. Peg says:

BZ-do you really feel the need to show the picture of someone’s husband, father, brother, etc lying dead in the road?

6. Ann A. says:

I also saw this man get hit by the tractor trailer, cars dodging the body afterwards. Hey Mr. Wizard, your igronant. A loss of life here and you are so selfish. What if this was your relative?

7. jen says:

agree… loss of life is tragic, my husband was on the highway right there also, however ignorance could be walking on the highway to gather a hubcap…is that really a neccesity that you should walk on the highway. i am sure the tractor trailer driver will never feel the same again. i am sorry for all the losses in this accident life and other..

8. matt says:

tragic and sad when one thinks metal is worth more than oneself. this affects all who witnessed and those who read it. my condolances to the family and close ones whose memories will be tarnished by this picture.

9. Ed says:

My friend called me today to tell me about the tragic news. That was her father that got hit by the truck on Rt 93. Please pray for her and her family, thank you.

10. Joe Freiday says:

Mr. Ruff was a kind man, and relative of mine! He would’ve given anything for anyone! Its tragic as to what happened!! He WILL be in heaven!!!!
    God bless you Edward Ruff!!! You left a great legacy behind you!!!!!

11. macmum says:

I knew this man and I am a friend of his son and daughter-in-law. This is an incredibly tragic event. Apparently Ed wasn’t thinking clearly at the time, but I remember him as a very smart, friendly, outgoing person that was kind to everyone he met. Sorry it inconvenienced a few people (not really) to sit in traffic. I really hate that there is a picture on this article showing his body covered with a sheet. Can anyone even imagine what his family is going through knowing he was mowed down by an 18 wheeler? Think about it! Ed RIP. Fuff family my sincerest thoughts…I’ll be there tonight at the wake. :-(

12. kgreene says:

Hey macmum, what about how the guy feels about hitting him. I know the guy that hit him and he has to live with this for the rest of his life too. He is a good driver and probably had no place to go and no choice. I hear the air horn was blowing and I’m sure he tried everything he could. I’m sorry for your loss, but I also feel for the driver.

1. macmum says:

kgreene – I absolutely agree with you. It is NOT the driver’s fault that someone that was suffering from the beginnings of dementia decided to do something so foolish. I cannot imagine how that man must be horrible! BUT it isnt’ his fault. Who would ever expect to have a person out in the middle of a 4 lane highway??? Not me or you. I am sorry for what the driver is going through as well… The only people I have a beef with on this is the ones that think that sitting in traffic while police are investigating a death is an annoyance. If it was their loved one, they’d want 3 lanes closed too to get to the truth of the matter.