Doctors Reveal Best Remedy For Hangovers

By Paula Ebben, WBZ-TV

BOSTON (CBS) – An extra glass of wine or one more beer, and you can pay for it in the morning with a splitting headache. But now, researchers say they have found the best way to avoid that “morning after” feeling.

There are all kinds of wives’ tales which promise relief from a hangover. People told us they might have a beer in the morning, eat bananas, or go to the gym.

Other popular cures include guzzling water, eating a greasy breakfast, or drinking a Bloody Mary.

One man said, “I drink a Gatorade the night before, and I’ll have a protein shake in the morning.”

WBZ-TV’s Paula Ebben reports.

Dr. Michael Oshinksy found another solution while conducting research on headaches. The revelation came when he was working with rats.

“Rats would get headaches very similar to humans because they have a similar physiology, even though they look very different,” he explained.

Researchers determined a rat has a headache when it gets super sensitive around the eyes.

Oshinsky added, “We developed sensory tests on the face and around the eyes of a rat where we can determine when the rat is having a headache.”

Watching the rats’ reaction debunked the popular myth that a hangover headache is the result of dehydration. It’s actually caused by a bi-product of the alcohol, which makes our heads hurt.

Oshinksy found that the best remedy for a headache is a combination of caffeine and anti-inflammatories like ibuprofen or aspirin.

“If a person uses alcohol in a significant amount and they expect to get a headache, they should take that a non steroidal anti inflammatory drug soon after finishing drinking, and they should definitely have a coke or a coffee the next morning,” said Oshinsky.

Even though anti inflammatories are sold over the counter, they can still present side effects. It’s important to follow the directions on the package carefully.

More from Paula Ebben
Comments

1. Masscann says:

Marijuana is still the best cure for a hangover, doesn’t have any side effects like caffeine and ibuprofen or aspirin come with, but does come with making you hungry for breakfast.

1. andy says:

Love it! Reppin masscan

2. Jose Reeferseed says:

I must say, not only has marijuana helped me out with hangovers, but it also has helped me out with almost any ailment I have ever had.

3. massman says:

I couldn’t agree more. Marijuana cures the hangover, along with relieving my back pain. It’s a win-win.

4. dan moreau says:

the reason people have a hangover is when your sleeping.. it is the lack of eye movement ..when you sleep your eyes are constantly moving …when you drink to much your eyes do not move the way they are supposed to ..therefore a hangover is what happens

5. roadbowler says:

Hmmm…what’s cheaper??? An advil and a cup of coffee or WEED??? Responsible folks will stick to the advil and a coffee.

1. Anon says:

Um… the prices for the amount used in each situation would actually be really comparable…

6. Cynic says:

Has anyone considered not getting smashed to begin with?

7. response says:

I think it’s sad, researchers actually got paid to do this study
    any college student will tell you to take an aspirin and a cup of coffee, and you are good to go….you don’t need to spend money on conducting research

8. M L Peters says:

I found that a dip in a snow fed stream or lake does the trick. Trust me, the last thing you feel is a hangover.

9. Jesse says:

I found the best product ever…that actually works!! Rewind Hangover Prevention. It is a 2oz shot/drink you take at the end of the night…and presto…no hangover the next morning. I got some free samples at a recent beer event and we put them to the test. It is amazing. I see it starting to pop up more and more places around here (Worcester area). I just paid $2.99 for it at a local package store. You should check it out. http://www.NoMoreHangover.com

1. CherryKerri says:

Uconn Lives On IT….. this stuff is the Bomb…

Thanks Rewind Folks… my parents thank you, for allowing me to make class !!

HAHA

10. Kaytea says:

I have found that pedialyte the next morning actually does WONDERS. One glass of it and the worst hangover of your life magically disappears.

11. lisa rn says:

Not to argue with a such a serious study…but, this is irresponsible science AND journalism. Mixing alcohol and nsaids is dangerous. Most people looking for hangover cures do things to excess. Drink more than they should take a few extra asprin too why not prob works better right?… 2 words stomach bleeding. 2 letters ER. Awesome brilliant. Probably better things to study and report on.

12. sour_d says:

Marijuana, especially strains like OG Kush and Sour Diesel are the best cure for a hangover… a couple nice bong rips in the morning and I am good… I even do that without having a hangover!!!!! but when I do have a hangover, it works wonders. I always drink a tea so I get a moderate amount of caffeine but it isn’t as much of a shock to the system as coffee. However, if you smoke garbage weed you might feel worse. If it has a bunch of seeds, don’t smoke it cause it would give you a headache normally!

13. Hotdogman says:

Taking advil can cause liver problems if you drink alcohol; a doctor should know that! Stick to aspirin.

14. Soxman1992 says:

I agree with Jesse 1000% !!! I took REWIND for New Years 2012 along with a bunch of my buddies who got it from the website and one shot did it all. This stuff was MONEY!! No jokes.. this stuff is the Bomb and we still order it off the website however I am hoping they get some in stores up here in the Bean Town Party Zone..

Come On Team REWIND.. Get your product up here in BOSTON … ASAP and save me the shipping cost.

REWIND kicks Ass … best product I’ve ever taken.

15. JJKaz077 says:

REWIND…. REWIND….REWIND….. THIS STUFF ROCKS………

GO UConn and GO REWIND !!

One thing … start distributing it locally AGAIN, please.. the shipping cost sux.. but because your product is crazy good, I pay the shipping anyways….

Get some street teams to visit the carriage house zone…. Spring weekend is just around the corner and we LOVE freebies…. HAHA

I’m a Yanks fan but I’ll agree with Soxman1992….

Rewind KICKS ASS……