Missing Snake Found On Red Line Train

DORCHESTER (CBS/AP) – A 3-foot-long snake that slithered away from its owner on the Red Line last month has been found after startling a passenger.

WBZ NewsRadio 1030’s Carl Stevens reports

Penelope the boa constrictor was spotted on the train Thursday morning by a commuter who alerted a train attendant at the Savin Hill station.

The MBTA took the train out of service to search it.

It wasn’t until 8:30 p.m. that train attendant Sharon Lynch — a snake owner herself — caught the snake.

WBZ-TV’s Alana Gomez reports

“She really has a passion for snakes,” said Bill McClellan, MBTA Red Line Chief.

“She knew it wasn’t a dangerous snake, so she picked it up and handled it.”

Penelope’s owner, 30-year-old Melissa Moorhouse of Allston, had traveled around with the Boa around her neck and lost it between the Broadway and Andrew stations on Jan. 6.

She’s thrilled to have her snake back, and says she’ll pay more attention the next time she takes Penelope out in public.

The boa had made its home in a compartment behind the driver. T officials speculate the snake survived because the compartment is a heat source that is always kept warm.

The MBTA says that small pets are allowed on the train but must be kept in a container.

WBZ-TV’s Alana Gomez contributed to this story

(TM and © Copyright 2010 CBS Radio Inc. and its relevant subsidiaries. CBS RADIO and EYE Logo TM and Copyright 2010 CBS Broadcasting Inc. Used under license. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. The Associated Press contributed to this report.)

More from Carl Stevens
Comments

1. Mark says:

She lost it between the Broadway and Andrew stations? Are you kidding? And they gave it back to her?

2. Jack says:

How about giving her a ticket for not having that snake in a bag. I would not want to sit next to a person with a snake around her neck and I shouldn’t have to!!

3. Karla says:

She lost the snake on Jan 6! Did she notify anyone at that time to have the train searched? I would have freaked if I sat down and a snake slithered up to me!

1. John says:

The T searched for the snake when it went missing in January. There was a story on the WBZ website about it.

4. BLACKBEAR1 says:

THIS CAN’T BE RIGHT, TAKING A SNAKE ON PUBLIC TRANSPORTATION. I HOPE SHE IS GOING TO FACE SOME RECRIMMINATIONS. A SNAKE ON A TRAIN. COMON MAN!!!

5. emom says:

This is yet a great example of how some people feel they have extreme rights to do stupid bone headed things. They are the folks walking around with their heads in a bag of fluff and beleive that its perfectly ok to walk your snake,, YEAH like she was really thinking…. NOT

6. Sam says:

I was on the train when she lost the snake. She was throwing her belongings on the floor and started freaking out. No one knew what was going on until she said she lost her pet snake. We had to evacuate the train and go into another car at JFK because she insisted the snake was there. I wonder where it went during that time… It’s an amusing story but at the same time, super nerve racking because I’m afraid of snakes. Eek! Glad she found her snake, they should’ve done an interview with her and the person who found it. Next time though I hope she takes better care of the snake. I wouldn’t want to find it slithering next to me, that’s for sure.