WATCH LIVE: WBZ-TV News

Curious About Removing Snow, Ice From Vehicle Roofs

BOSTON (CBS) — Drive around and you’re bound to see cars and trucks with snow and ice on their roofs. And sometimes flying off of those roofs.

Amy from Boston Declared her Curiosity asking why Massachusetts doesn’t require drivers to remove large chunks of ice and snow from their cars.

Turns out there is a move to do just that.

A proposed law would force you to pay up if you didn’t clear your car.

WBZ-TV’s Kate Merrill reports.

Rep. Cleon Turner of Dennis would like to see drivers fined $100 for leaving snow on their roofs and $500 is someone is hurt or another car is damaged.

The law would apply to any vehicle with a roof area larger than 10 square feet with more than a quarter inch of ice or snow on it.

This isn’t the first time Rep. Turner has introduced this bill; he’s tried several times and it’s died in committee.

More from Declare Your Curiosity
Comments

1. Italo says:

It should kinda be common sense, no? Oh, ok..I know this is Boston, so maybe not.. See, if police are patroling the roads, and they see a snow-covered car, truck or SUV (usually the latter, driving cluelessly) spewing snow and shedding ice sheets off onto the road and vehicles around it–JUST FREAKIN’ STOP IT AND FINE ITS IGNORANT DRIVER.

1. Shawn says:

I agree with ya as a homebred Bostonian! To much weight on top of these large monsters will tip them over. OH I remember drivers saying- ‘Oh the wind will blow it off!’ not careing who it whould hit. Don’t forget that people come here all over the world. Some pepole may not know how to deal with it?

2. GW says:

driving cluelessly?
    How would any of you know?
    Thank you for cleaning off your damn hugh car or truck.
    And I applogize for bringing any sembalence of a flake of snow from NH; when what I really want to do is parade all 28 inches of snow into your face and show you, what you missed!

3. Joe D. says:

Maybe he should try a re-write on the bill in order to get it out of committee, it sounds like a great idea. It being a matter of public safety you’d think our legislature would give it some priority.Maybe our representatives are just as clueless as those drivers who neglect to clean their vehicles properlly,Uh oh just a thought maybe they are those people.

4. alanonthego says:

I am so tired of seeing people and I mean a lot of them who don’t clean the snow off their cars. I saw one car over the last storm who cleaned off only half the windshield and was driving around with several inches of snow on the hood, roof and other half of the windshield. I have a pick up truck and I take the time to clean all the snow off my truck including the roof and bed cover. These people who don’t pose a series hazzard to the rest of us.

5. StanleyRamon says:

I think there should be a law requiring people to wear coats and hats in cold weather. I see a lot of people outside in winter setting a bad example, without their coats on.
    Here’s another thought. If the vehicle in front of you has a lot of snow on it, then keep a safe distance. Duh!

6. macmum says:

Two days last week I was traveling on Rte 3 south and 128 south and there were cars, school buses and 18wheelers tossing ice clods at the people behind them. You couldn’t be closer than 10 car lengths from these tools and still see the road. Being behind them was like being in a blizzared with zero visibility. In addition, the ice chunks could have easiy broken a windshield or caused an accident. Morons that don’t clean off their cars or trucks should be fined. BIG TIME!

7. DStein says:

Of course Rep. Turner’s bill has died in committee. Anything that makes sense is killed by the Massachusetts legislature, where defying common sense seems to be their motto. They’re too busy hiding their corruption and passing laws that help the lobbyists instead of the residents and taxpayers.

8. Allyson says:

I truly hope that more states attempt to pass bills that make it illegal to not clear the snow and ice off of your vehicle. I live in Illinois and can tell you from experience that it sucks when a huge sheet of ice flies off another vehicle and smashes your windshield. It happened to me on an interstate in St. Louis, MO, in January 1999. This van was very far ahead of me and a huge sheet of ice flew into the air breaking in three pieces before the largest piece smacked my windshield. There was no way to avoid it and people today still don’t clean off their vehicles when it snows. I’ve seen several cars on the road that the driver must have cleaned off the windshield and the back window and as soon as they took off, the back window was covered by 4 to 6 inches of snow. They can’t even see out their rear window! How is that safe?! I know it’s not and the police should be pulling over anyone who hasn’t cleaned off their vehicle properly.

9. al says:

not only are these people inconsiderate, but they are ARROGANT as well. Their excuse is probably, I couldn’t reach the snow on the roof. Well if you can stand on your back bumper then you can get to the snow.N.H. has a law that will cost you $250.00 to 1,000.00 if you’re caught with snow on your roof. I just heard that Mass. is going to try to pass a bill that it will cost you $500.00 if you have snow on your roof. Think of all the money that Mass. will be getting from all of the Incondiserate and arrogant ones. I’m glad that I clean all my snow off. I have better things to spend my money on. Also remember this. If your snow falls off and causes damage and your licence no. is taken down? Then you are totaly responsable for those damages.

10. Larry Sylvain says:

with the countless billions spent on pork barrell projects I cannot in the life of me why should the President want to cut fuel assistance for the needy and those that are down in their luck. SHAME ON U for even suggesting it.

11. Blue says:

Please be RESPECTFUL to other drivers and remove the snow and ice off your vehicle/ you would not like it if your windshield got broken and if you or someone in your vehicle were injured or killed!!!!, if you can’t clean it off go to a car wash….
    You could face criminal charges for Negligent Operation MGL 90:24 if it falls off because you should know the dangers involved even worse if it kills some one MV Homicide, 85:36 $200 Unsecured Load over 25 years ago when we were having this problem this law only addressed trucks and sand, rocks or gravel… the leg. changed it to ANY Vehicle and ANY Debri – they made it broader so I believe it was the Leg. INTENT to address anything that falls from a vehicle.
    90:13 Impeded Operation -Snow covered windows $35, 90:7 Improper Display of Lights snow blocking lights $35, 90:6 Obscured Plate $35 snow blocking plate