Man Snaps Photo Of Meteor Over Harvard Square

CAMBRIDGE (CBS) – A local photographer and filmmaker was in Harvard Square Saturday night when he spotted a meteor.

Brad Kelly snapped the picture of a meteor passing over the Cambridge Savings Bank.

The snapshot has made the Worldwide Meteor News and has been examined by experts, who have deemed it authentic.

Comments

1. Ken Cheyne says:

Nice Job Mr. Kelly. Way to have your camera ready -Always. CBS Boston would do well to have you on their staff.

1. Brad Kelly says:

Thank You, Mr. Cheyne! It’s all in the wrist, or at least the pointer finger…

2. Jescelle Marengo says:

I live in Worcester and I saw it too! It was about 8;40 PM

3. Dirk Ross says:

The Latest Worldwide Meteor/Meteorite News
    Please correct the news posting…thank you Tokyo! http://www.LunarMeteoriteHunters.blogspot.com

Congrats to Brad Kelly for capturing the rare shot and contacting me first! Hope you get your wish! Dirk Ross…Tokyo

1. Brad Kelly says:

Thank you, Mr. Ross for your help in tracking the sightings of this meteor and helping to analyze my photo on your website.

4. Stacia Petri says:

its definitely authentic….we were walking our dogs in Warwick RI right on Narraghansett Bay & we witnessed it..it took our breath away…it was a massively long, lime green colored streak that was heading in Northern direction. between 8:30 & 9 pm

1. Brad Kelly says:

Wow, that does sound breath taking! Glad it made an appearance over Harvard Square, too. It was a beautiful thing, even in a photograph!

5. Deb Raymond says:

I saw a similar meteor on December 28 at 6:45pm while driving West on RT.2 in Westminster. It was lower on the horizon and bright white. Did anyone see this one?

6. Paul Valleli says:

There is a discrepancy of two hours betweeen the data record on the digital photo and eyewitness accounts.
    Any explanation?

1. Denise says:

I don’t know about the discrepency,but I saw it at approx 8:35 PM from wales, ma on my way home from work. You could not miss it It was so bright and lasted several seconds Different than other shooting starts I;ve seen for sure

7. Cheryl Cormier says:

We saw a bright white light heading from NW to SE just above the tree tops in Ashburnham, MA Jan 29th at about 8:30 pm.

1. Brad Kelly says:

Must have been the same one! Glad I was able to snap his (her?) picture over Harvard Square!

8. Denise says:

I also saw it exactly the same time from Wales, MA. It was amazing and unlike any shooting star I’ve ever seen. It must have been huge because it was so bright!

9. Brad Kelly says:

Hi, my name is Brad Kelly and I’m the photographer who shot the Harvard Square Meteor photo. I thought I’d address the “discrepancy” issue regarding the time stamp on my photograph. It’s a good question.

The image stamp on the photo reads: 20:34:12 indicating a time of 8:34:12sec PM EST that the photo was taken. Most online meteor sighting reports in the area indicated a time closer to 8:30pm as the time of the widespread meteor sightings in the Massachusetts and surrounding New England areas on January 29th, 2011.

I checked my camera’s clock, today, against the The National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST) clock online and found that my camera is set 3 minutes and 25 sec FAST relative to the official NIST time.

Since it was an eight second exposure and since the Nikon D300 seems to time-stamp at the beginning of the exposure (I just ran a test on my camera to check that) it means that the meteor was visible over Harvard Square in Cambridge sometime precisely between 8:30:47sec PM EST and 8:30:55pm when I snapped the eight second exposure.

(For what it’s worth, the Cambridge Savings Bank digital clock, clearly visible in the original hi-res photo, reads 8:29. So it is presumably at least 47 sec slow in relation to official NIST time.)

Thanks for your interest in my cosmically lucky photo!

Brad Kelly

10. Denise says:

Brad,
    So glad you “:caught it” I was very excited and tried to describe it to my family when I got home (was driving home from a12 hour shift at the hospital when I saw it) But a picture is worth a thousand words and now I can just show them!

11. stunned says:

in Worcester here and was out on my back deck and saw my whole backyard light up blue I looked up after a second or two to the sky and couldent believe the size of the blue ball i saw it going form right toleft People thought I was nuts when I told them thnks for the pic AWESOME I though it was an alien invasion and they didn’t want me lol