BOSTON (CBS/AP) — A lawyer who’s frustrated by the Boston Archdiocese’s inaction released a list Wednesday of Roman Catholic priests and others affiliated with the church who have been accused of molesting children.
Mitchell Garabedian, who has represented hundreds of abuse victims, announced the names of 117 alleged abusers at a news conference.
WBZ News Radio 1030’s Carl Stevens reports
He said the list of priests, members of religious orders and other church employees have been named in sexual abuse complaints for which he has obtained settlements or arbitration awards.
He posted all 117 names on his web site.
18 of them are Boston Catholic clerics who have not previously been named publicly. One is from Fall River.
14 are dead, four have not been found and one still works at a church in Texas.
WBZ-TV’s Alana Gomez reports
Garabedian told WBZ News Radio 1030 Wednesday his intent is to provide transparency and protect children.
“I don’t think the church has changed very much at all. I think they circled the wagons and they’ve gone back to their style of secrecy and that’s illustrated by the fact that they don’t want to release these (19) names,” Garabedian said.
He claims Cardinal Sean O’Malley promised in March 2009 to release his own list of accused Boston priests, but has failed to do so.
“We remain committed to augmenting our present policy in the area of disclosing additional information about credibly accused clergy,” Archdiocese spokesman Terry Donilon said in a statement.
“We continue to evaluate the complexities of this initiative, especially those associated with disclosing information relating to deceased priests or those accused of a crime, whose guilt or innocence has not been established.”
(TM and © Copyright 2010 CBS Radio Inc. and its relevant subsidiaries. CBS RADIO and EYE Logo TM and Copyright 2010 CBS Broadcasting Inc. Used under license. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. The Associated Press contributed to this report.)