18 Treated After Chemical Drum Explosion In Marlboro
MARLBORO (CBS) – 18 people needed medical treatment after a chemical drum exploded at a company in Marlboro Monday morning.
It happened in a lab at Spectrum Microwave on Nickerson Road around 7 a.m.
WBZ-TV’s Karen Anderson reports
The fire chief told WBZ-TV’s Karen Anderson a container was over-pressurized by chemicals and exploded. It knocked over some other drums, but none spilled.
There was no fire, but the building was evacuated.
Six people who were exposed to vapors were taken to Marlboro Hospital to be treated for “minor respiratory injuries.”
12 others were transported to nearby hospitals as a precaution.
Authorities say the building was properly ventilated, but they still don’t know know what chemical caused the explosion.