Cambridge Woman Blames iPhone For Getting Fired

By Jonathan Elias, WBZ-TV

CAMBRIDGE (CBS) — A barking dog, the sound of a pinball machine, or the quack of a duck. These are all sounds that Lindsay Garvey wakes up to thanks to her iPhone alarm.

This 28-year-old waitress recently had a problem with that alarm, along with thousands of other iPhone users.

New Year’s Day she was supposed to be at work by noon. She had worked New Year’s Eve till 4 a.m. so she set her alarm for 10 a.m.

WBZ-TV’s Jonathan Elias reports.

The next morning at 10 no dog bark, pinball machine or even duck sound came from her iPhone. She overslept and showed up to her waitressing job 40 minutes late.

She was fired.

Upset, she decided to write a letter to Steve Jobs, the head of Apple. She’s not asking for anything but just wanted to ask him for a heads up the next time there is a possible glitch that might effect the functions of her phone.

“It was more of a rant saying a heads up would have been nice. And if you think these things don’t affect people, they do,” she explained.

When asked if she loves her iPhone she said, “I did.”

Comments

1. Jerry Thebado says:

She was fired for being late ONCE? C’mon, WBZ, do the reporting. How long did she work there? What was her employment history? Why didn’t she call to let them know as soon as she woke up? Nobody gets fired for being 40 minutes late once!

2. Lisa Valente says:

She sounds like a nutjob to me. She actually wrote a letter to Steve Jobs because she was fired? What technical glitch happened to onlyher phone and nobody else’s? I use my phone alarm all the time and the only glitch I have ever experienced is when I have slept through the alarm. And no, I won’t be writingany letters to Steve Jobs because I’m a heavy sleeper!

1. nhunt says:

It didn’t just happen to her phone, it happened to thousands of them. Apple acknowledged a 3+ day problem with the featured and offered a fix for it on thweir website.

3. mamma says:

actually i do believe it..even big companys like charter communications has a no tolerance policy..my daughter was in the hospital with her sick child and called and told them shed be late..they fired her she was spose to be in at 11 am..she got there at 1132

1. cynic says:

Call me a cynic but your daughter probably used her kid as an excuse too many times for being late. I often find this is the case with parents that have been fired and when the kid is seriously sick, ends up at the doctor’s office or emergency room the employer doesn’t believe it. The final straw ends up being the legit reason. So I can’t agree with you.

1. Cynic says:

Wow I didn’t know there was another Cynic…. Actually I uase a capital C as the the Greek philosipher Cynics…

4. tim says:

actual i was late for work too because of the same thing…but i didn’t get fired

5. Lex says:

“She’s used a cell phone alarm for the last eight years with not one problem. Now she’s planning on buying an alarm clock that she can plug in.”

If that’s true, then over 2,500 days without a problem is more than an acceptable rate of failure. However, I find her statement somewhat suspect.

6. Mike says:

This doesn’t totally surprise me I have worked in several restaurants over the years and some places take this very seriously… It’s not some cushy salary office job where people stroll in around opening and then spend 20 minutes at the coffee machine talking about what happened on dancing with the stars the night before

7. Just sayin' says:

i have t agree with Jerry…I find more often then not the person who gets fired over an “alarm” not going off is only telling you about the one time. They tend to neglect to tell you this is not the first time. My guess is this was the final straw with her. WBZ why didn’t you contact her employer.

8. Just sayin' says:

i have t agree with Jerry…I find more often then not the person who gets fired over an “alarm” not going off is only telling you about the one time. They tend to neglect to tell you this is not the first time. My guess is this was the final straw for her

9. well known problem says:

this glitch has been noticed for a few months now…any tech site has reported it, and most iphone users knew of it going into 2011.

10. Buddy says:

I would request a copy of the policy and procedure manual of this company. They all have one and I would read into it to see if these folks followed the book. Sounds fishy to me, getting fired for one occurence and only 40 minutes late?
    Maybe Martha Coakley should convene a grand jury to investigate?

11. io says:

this was a known issue before dec 31. read the news idiot

12. taxedout says:

Hey Dumbell buy an Alarm Clock!!!!

13. DStein says:

Massachusetts is a work at will state….meaning employers can fire you without cause….and you can quit without giving notice no matter what their personnel policy states.

The iPhone alarm problem has been widely publicized. Perhaps she was aware of it, perhaps she wasn’t. In any case, she relied on this relatively expensive piece of technology to do its job……and it didn’t perform as advertised. The letter to Steve Jobs was a little over the top…..but he had it coming based on the problems with iPhones.

14. response says:

I don’t understand why this is even news? People get hired/fired on a daily basis and it doesn’t make the news. I can understand if a company is going out of business and is laying off hundreds of people, yes that’s news. But one irresponsible girl losing her job is not news.
    First the idiot with the speeding ticket makes the news and now this?

I’m declaring my curiosity….how do you come up with these news stories?

15. Petetm says:

DStein
    That maybe so, but in reality who really has the upper hand in that policy?

16. John Joseph Grimes says:

Not a doubt in my mind that Steve will notify her that he’s most sympathetic and will either send her $50,000 or a job offering. NOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1. Cynic says:

Wanna bet he never see’s the letter?

17. Barbara West says:

I agree with most of the other posters…this wasn’t a one time late for this girl.Anyone with 2 degrees who can’t figure out that it is important to EVERY employer that they can rely upon you..is going to continue to have problems..not related to her phone alarm.

18. emom says:

A WATRESS,, GO FIGURE,, BET SHE GAVE POOR SERVICE,, MAYBE THAT IS WHAT GOT HER FIRED,,, DID SHE FACEBOOK A CUSTOMER… STUPID REAL STUPID

19. cynic says:

What is an iphone and why do people need them?