WHITMAN (CBS/AP) — The family of a Massachusetts man who was killed when the rear axle of his 2002 Windstar cracked in half says Ford hasn’t done enough to tell owners about the company’s recall of the minivans.
Sean Bowman’s family told WBZ-TV Wednesday that they received a safety recall notice from Ford on October 22, exactly one week after his minivan crashed into a building.
Ford’s recall notice to Bowman was postmarked three days after the accident.
Ford announced in August it was recalling 575,000 older-model Windstars over concerns the rear axles can corrode and break.
The compnay said it is cooperating with government investigators but declined to comment on Bowman’s case.
After an inquiry about Bowman’s case from the Associated Press, Ford said it was expanding its recall — a decision made last month but not previously publicized.
(TM and © Copyright 2010 CBS Radio Inc. and its relevant subsidiaries. CBS RADIO and EYE Logo TM and Copyright 2010 CBS Broadcasting Inc. Used under license. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. The Associated Press contributed to this report.)