BOSTON (CBS/AP) – A third man arrested in the September shooting deaths of four people in Mattapan, was ordered held without bail Thursday.

Edward Washington of Boston hid his face during his arraignment in Dorchester District Court. He was charged with four counts of murder and one count each of armed assault with intent to murder, home invasion, armed robbery and unlawful possession of a firearm.

washington No Bail For 3rd Mattapan Massacre Suspect

Edward Washington (Mugshot from Boston Police)

The 31-year-old was arrested Wednesday for the murders of Levaughn Washum-Garrison, Simba Martin, Eyanna Flonory, and her 2-year-old son, Amani Smith.

“We’ve been working around the clock on this and yesterday we were able to develop enough information to locate this final suspect and he’s been taken into custody,” police commissioner Ed Davis said Thursday morning.

There were quiet cheers in the courtroom Thursday morning from the family and friends of the victims, as the judge ordered Washington to remain in custody.

WBZ News Radio’s Carl Stevens Reports

Washington’s cousin, 34-year-old Kimani Washington, pleaded not guilty to gun and drug charges stemming from the Sept. 28 shootings, which also wounded a fifth victim.

A third suspect, 33-year-old Dwayne Moore, has also pleaded not guilty to charges of murder, armed robbery and home invasion.

“We feel we have a strong and prosecutable case against all three suspects in this horrendous incident,” Davis said.

Edward Washington’s attorney, John Cunha, said his client, who he’s known for years, didn’t kill anybody and a trial will clear his name.

“I understand the public is upset, but can’t rush to judgment either,” Cunha told reports after the court proceedings. “That’s not fair. That’s not our system. That’s not America. We’re all about due process. We’re about giving people their day in court. And Eddie Washington is waiting for his day in court to be vindicated.”

He added Washington is a quiet guy, very straightforward, has been working, and has “got a great girlfriend.”

An uncle of Marcus Hurd’s, who was also shot but survived and is now recovering, was in court Thursday. Afterward he told WBZ that while the family is thankful police officers are doing their job, it’s a catch-22.

“You’re hoping that each time an arrest is made you’re hoping it’s the last arrest,” said Till Freeman. “Because once you’ve gotten over the initial trauma and then every time you start the healing process then there’s an arrest and it opens up the wounds again.”

Freeman said that while due process has been done with the arrests, justice will never be done because the families’ lives have forever been changed.

“Even if we had the death penalty and these gentlemen were found guilty and executed, that’s not going to bring back the ones that we lost. So there is no justice.”

(TM and © Copyright 2010 CBS Radio Inc. and its relevant subsidiaries. CBS RADIO and EYE Logo TM and Copyright 2010 CBS Broadcasting Inc. Used under license. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. The Associated Press contributed to this report.)


Leave a Reply

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment:

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s