Bugaboo Creek Closes Several Local Restaurants

BOSTON (CBS/AP) –  Approximately 450 Massachusetts restaurant workers find themselves suddenly out of jobs one week before Thanksgiving.  Nine local Bugaboo Creek restaurants have been shut down this week.

They are in Brockton, Burlington, Dedham, Framingham, Peabody, Plymouth, Seekonk, Shrewsbury and Watertown.

CB Holding Corp., the New Jersey company that operates the steakhouse restaurants, also closed similar establishments in New Jersey, New York and Pennsylvania.

Read: Company Statement (.pdf)

CB’s marketing director Rich Covey told The Courier News of Bridgewater, N.J. the restaurants were underperforming.

The only open locations in Massachusetts currently listed on Bugaboo’s web site are in Milford, Methuen and Braintree.

WBZ-TV’s Jim Armstrong reports

WBZ-TV reached a state official who shared the following Wednesday afternoon:

“Massachusetts’ Rapid Response team is offering services to Bugaboo Creek Restaurants through the chain’s corporate office. The team is in the process of determining the number of impacted employees. Rapid Response will reach out to all impacted locations and offer a complete array of services.”

(TM and © Copyright 2010 CBS Radio Inc. and its relevant subsidiaries. CBS RADIO and EYE Logo TM and Copyright 2010 CBS Broadcasting Inc. Used under license. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. The Associated Press contributed to this report.)

Comments

1. Shawn says:

Well maybe if they had decent service and resaonable prices they wouldn’t be shutting down. It’s really hard to feel sorry for them.

1. Anne says:

Shawn,

You must be loaded or a trust fund baby not to be even slightly aware of the economic impact this has. It’s beyond just a few restaurants or “bad” food (your opinion, not mine). PEOPLE ARE OUT OF WORK WITH NO NOTICE. It’s sad when any business closes it’s doors due to economic impact. Please wake up.

2. Karen says:

Shawn
      That is a completely blanket statment and very uneducated. No one should be without a job with no notice. That is terrible and for you to wish that on them is just heartless. I dont know you but if I judged you based on those comments you would consider that unjust correct? I’m sorry if you have had bad service or felt the value wasnt good in one of their locations but it is a shame that u wish those people to be out of work with no notice a week before the holiday season is supposed to begin.

2. Shaorn says:

I love their food, but have been shying away lately because of decreased coupon values being offered.

3. Jennifer Wright Owen says:

The Bugaboo Creek in Shrewsbury, MA is also closed as of today.

1. Tom J says:

I miss bugaboo always had a great experience there at shrewsbury. I went there at least 8 times a month, great food and service. I will miss it and now in search of a new place to eat! Too bad texas roadhouse did not close yet, they can’t cook a steak well done there they suck!

4. Ray says:

I don’t see the Shrewsbury location mentioned in either list.

5. Steve says:

Echoing the above comment, their service was terrible. Surly waitstaff, and marginal food. Unless you have kids (who like the talking animals), there’s really no reason to go there.

6. Shawn says:

I have only been there once, and it was enough for me. Food and service were terrible. I’m not excited about this Rapid Response effort, however. Why is there a race to recruit these displaced employees into the social services and welfare system? Most people have a general idea of the services that are available to them in a situation like this. Rushing to their side like this seems like it has the potential to delay or discourage the displaced employees from looking for a replacement job and accepting social benefits prematurely.

1. dave says:

Shawn – are you embarrassed by your ignorance? BIG lump of coal to you for your lack of compassion.

1. r crusty says:

Dave, I’ll donate a second big lump. I had the same impression from reading his posts.

2. r crusty says:

Bugaboo Creek probably left an area inhabited by classless liberals with no taste (like the one who tours the world on a regular basis while making a fool of himself). My wife and I never had a problem with food or service at Bugaboo. We enjoyed the animations during our visits.

7. sos says:

Shawn,

Rapid response isn’t just welfare – it will help these people find work because of a surprise closure. Normally if an employee isn’t getting terminated for conduct issues, they have to provide a certain amount of notice to them before a layoff. Imagine if you went to work tomorrow and the door is locked and there’s a sign saying they are closed for good. What would you do? Who would you contact? That’s what Rapid Response is for.

1. Anne says:

Thank you for that comment. Alot of people forget what’s really at stake here…the loss of jobs, when it’s so hard to find any…

2. Karen says:

Sos
      Thank you for your comment. That is exactly why rapid response is in place and not to discourage ppl from finding a relpacement job. Not to mention, waitstaff doesnt make much so I cant imagine an unemployment type of thing is an option for these people.

8. bumpybump says:

I will miss the talking buffalo

1. artie says:

how about the flying squirrel?

9. Mary Maguire says:

Take into consideration the people that just lost their jobs out of the blue – have some compassion – hopefully none of you ever have to go through something like this

10. Anne says:

It’s about the jobs…very sad.

11. wayne says:

Thanks again Deval Patrick and all who voted for him

12. Jennifer Wright Owen says:

I spoke with someone at the Shrewsbury restaurant. They are all out of work. The restaurant is closed.

13. artie says:

i always enjoyed bugaboo. i’m sorry to see them go. i used to go to the ones in burlington and sometimes peabody.

14. Pastcha says:

It is always sad when a business closes and people lose jobs. As a former restaurant employee and manager, it is difficult to give notice that a restaurant is closing. This is because – quite frankly – a significant amount of merchandise will disappear. The other hard part of this business is that the employees usually make much more in tips than they claim. Therefore, a restaurant worker can’t afford to be on unemployment for long.

15. needajob says:

I feel sad for these newly unemployed workers….. I lost my job 3 years ago…very tough market..I am still not working….

16. melissa says:

I’ve worked at Bugaboo for the past 10 years and it is pretty shocking and disgusting that we were given no notification of the closing, especially with the holidays around the corner.

1. Michelle says:

Melissa
      I’m very sorry for what you are going through. I am an employee at bugaboo too for 13 years and I luckily still have my job but please know that all of our restaurants that are still in operation feel extremely sad for you all and wish u all the very best of luck in finding a new job. Our heartfelt thoughts are with you and all of your co-workers

17. Mike says:

I’ve only eaten at the ones in Framingham and Peabody. I was a bit disappointed by the food in Peabody the one time I ate there, but I’ve never had a bad experience at the one in Framingham. It was something of a family tradition on special occasions, so I’m sorry to see it go (and sympathize with the people whose jobs disappeared, too, of course).

18. emom says:

I’ve been to the braintree one only a few times, but it has been a very long time.. actually drove by it the other day,, its so hard to hear that alll those resturants have now closed, i pray all that lost their job finds a new job, what a bad time of year to have this happen.. its so not fair, Hope this is not a new trend of things to come. we need people to have jobs, not more unemployed,,,,

19. Carolyn says:

The one in Brockton was put in the same plaza as the Texas Roadhouse which had been there for a few years already.Putting 2 steak houses in the same small area is just stupid it night have done better if it wasen’t in the same plaza. I ate there twice the food was ok put the service was very slow.
    But I do feel sorry for the people who worked there, being out of work is awful no matter what.

20. Jen says:

I really feel bad for the employees of losing their jobs. But Bugaboo creek hasn’t been the same especially in the last couple of years. We always went to the one in Peabody and recently ate there and had really bad service. It also didn’t help that the Cheesecake Factory opened up there too. The children will miss it a little too.

21. shotime says:

I agree with some of the comments that these employees at the very least deserved some notice regarding the termination of their employment. But I also agree with the comments that Bugaboo Creek is closing some of its doors due to poor service, and lousy food. If you expect to keep your jobs… you need to produce a quality product which was not happening at the Watertown location.

22. Connie says:

I had finally found a job after a long time searching at one of the Bugaboo Locations. We closed our doors also! It is quite a suprise to me as I am a single mother with the Holidays around the corner…. I will and DO agree about the poor service or lack there of….. I found it very hard to be as good as a server as I wanted to be there because of one problem after another. They focused so much on high turn around and “selling points” that you as a waiter/waitress could NOT give good service to your guests. If someone disliked their plate, it was taken off the bill PLUS free dessert PLUS every and anything else you wanted!!!! I stayed because I NEEDED a job. it is too bad;(

23. julie Lovelass says:

Always very sad when a business closes. The restaurant business is a brutal business with an outrageous failure rate. WyckWyre.com can maybe help those that lost their job

24. Shawn Thomas says:

I never said I didn’t feel sorry for the people that lost their jobs. That sucks that they didn’t even give them notice. They had to have known this was coming for a while. But there are plenty of jobs here. I’m sure most of you are from here. I just moved from California where I couldn’t find a job in 2 years, not even fast food. I’ve had no problem finding work here. MA is doing a lot better than most states. Keep your chin up and stay positive. You’ll find a better place to work than some overpriced family steakhouse with mediocre food.

1. Irritated says:

Stop babling. ‘had to have known’?

Idiot.

25. JC says:

To all of the commenters with hearts thank you for your kind words and thoughts. I woke up to go to work at Bugaboo yesterday and had a voicemail telling me not to come in anymore. It happens. It sucks, but it’s happened to me before. Restaurant workers are tough SOB’s and we’ll all find work pretty quickly I’m sure. To the people saying that service and food were terrible., get a life. Anyway, happy holidays to all and life goes on :)

26. Larry says:

Sorry to hear they did that to so many people especially so close to the holidays.I’ve been doing the upholstery in most of the New England locations for years so it impacts me as well.They also owe me over $4000.00 so I had to shut them off.Anyone know if they shut down Maine or RI locations?

27. Irritated says:

What, closed without warning, even to emoyees?

That is reprehensible.

28. michelle says:

I was a manager for Bugaboo -in NH- and found out from an hourly employee that my restaurant shut down. No one knew! We of course knew there were financial issues(may I add those were issues the parent company was having, not Bugaboo itself) but corporate kept telling us all that we would be okay, and not to worry.
    I won’t deny that there were sometimes errors with the food, or service, but we always fixed it if it was brought to our attention. However, even if we were the WORST chain ever, the employees worked really hard. We didn’t deserve for it to end like that.
    And I’m sick of hearing two things. First, corporate said the restaurants that closed were underperforming. My restaurant was consistently beating last years sales. In top of that, we were running much leaner -basically making more money than ever. Secondly, corporate hasn’t helped place anyone. As I stated before I was a manager making over 40grand. The “help” they’ve offered is giving me a few hours a week cooking at the nearest location that didn’t close, and posting two numbers – neither of which even come close to my salary. I am a single mother with two boys. I don’t receive child support, food stamps, or any other assistance. I work real hard and was barely making it. Will I find another job? Yes, but in time to give my boys a Christmas? Probably not.

29. J. Palmore says:

I was shocked and dismayed to learn of the closing of the restaurant in my Georgia neighborhood. Underperforming — not hardly, the place was always packed. The food was good. The waitstaff and management helpful and friendly. I, for one, will miss them. The question begs to be asked what is really at the core of their “financial problems.” It certainly did not seem to be at the operations level. Perhaps upper management was mismanaging the till?

And I have nothing but compassion for the many people who have found themselves without jobs. You have my profound sympathy.

30. Louis j gartz says:

I will miss the one in Watertown Ma.because we went there many times during the year and the kids really like the talking Christmas tree and the talking fish.

31. C. Gillespie says:

We have always had a pleasant experience at the Bugaboo Shrewsbury, MA location….nice manager and staff and great steak…I feel so badly for the staff losing their jobs…we liked sitting at the bar (along with my son that would have a couple of root beers)..we were going to take him this past weekend for his birthday and found out that is was CLOSED!! We were so upset….PLEASE re-open this location!!