WORCESTER (CBS) – Twenty-nine people were forced out of their homes in a fire that hit two apartment houses in Worcester overnight.
Flames broke out around 10:30 p.m. Sunday at a triple-decker on Cargill Avenue and then spread to the home next door where Davon Smith lives.
“I looked out the window and I seen the whole back of this house burning on fire like really, really bad,” he told WBZ-TV.
He ran outside and tried to comfort the residents standing out in the cold, distraught at the sight of their home up in flames.
“Pretty much everyone that lived here was crying,” Smith said.
Corinne Costantino lived on the third floor. She lost a lot of her belongings including her computer and her paintings.
“The water damage just… it’s emotional,” she told WBZ.
— Anna Meiler (@AnnaMeiler) November 2, 2020
Deputy Fire Chief Martin Dyer said it’s always heartbreaking to see people lose their homes, but it’s especially gut-wrenching in the middle of a pandemic and so close to the holidays.
“It’s awful everyone is dealing with so much. I’ll take that as an opportunity to say let’s be careful. Be careful with space heaters, be careful with heating and cooking, we don’t need to add one more thing on to what everyone’s got on their plate,” Dyer said.
No one was hurt in the fire. There’s no word yet on how or where it started.