REVERE (CBS) — A woman allegedly kicked and tossed her dog into the water, leaving the dog to die, at Revere Beach Sunday. She is now facing animal cruelty charges, sources told WBZ-TV.

Witnesses said the incident happened in broad daylight at the crowded beach.

Revere City Councilor George Rotondo Jr., who is also an ICU nurse, was there. He said he ran over to help the lifeguards giving CPR to the dog, but it was too late for the dog.

“They started to tell me that they see her kicking the dog prior to bringing the dog to the water and then someone had told me that she actually had thrown the dog in the water. And I’m saying to myself, I’m just totally lost for words at this point,” said Rotondo. “I’m just beside myself.”

The woman not arrested but she was summonsed to court, according to sources.

The Animal Rescue League is investigating the incident.

Comments (16)
  1. Butch Goodwin says:

If anyone knows what court this is or when she must appear could they publish it here please. I would like to be there. I want to make sure this judge imposes the maximum penalties. HI hope too the Judge orders a psych evaluation. Makes part of her bail that all pets be removed from her home. Restricts her contact with any pets. Also if she has children they too should be removed. This Woman is pure evil. If she did not want the poor animal. There are so many shelters available.A dog is Gods gift to people. They are are the embodyment of unconditional love.There are no words.The penalties for animal cruelty have always been very minor too! They need to be changed. Doing an act of cruelty in this waywould warrant the death penalty in my book. However a jail term would send a message too.

1. Paula J Whetzel says:

Some one needs to contact animal control

2. Holly says:

I hope the same is done to this piece of $hit.

3. Diane says:

I am so disgusted with this! I hope she gets thrown away and gets the same treatment she gave to that poor innocent dog. So cruel!

4. Leslie Sawka says:

We are given animals to love and have for emotional support. Animals trust us to love them. I wish I had a dog to help me. That person needs to be prosecuted to the full extent.

5. Jared says:

I was there when this happened. Did not witness the drowning but my girlfriend saw the woman being very aggressive with the dog a little bit prior. What I can’t get over (aside from killing the dog obviously) is how when she was leaving the beach crying, the man she was with was completely nonchalant about the whole thing. They walked right by us and he was just calmly saying “hey don’t worry about it” and “well we gotta figure out what to do with the body now.” The dog’s death seemed nothing more than a minor inconvenience in his day.

6. Jane Barrett says:

I don’t understand why no one step in the help this poor dog! What is wrong with people.

1. Mary Tierney says:

That was my first thought when I read this very sad srory.

1. Mary Tierney says:

Sorry, should have re-read my original reply. I meant to say, ” sad story”.

7. jan says:

We need her name and picture please.

8. Kristine Barkowski says:

Why was she not arrested?

9. Katherine says:

The only thing that will fix stuff like this (maltreatment/abuse of animals) are stiff penalties that stick. High bail for abusers and mandatory jail time for repeat offenders. The Animal Legal Defense Fund works to accomplish this. They work closely with the Humane Society and try to introduce legislation that protects animals. aldf.org needs our support.
    “Why was she not arrested?!? Exactly!

10. Marty says:

I thought animal abuse was considered a felony now. Weird that they didn’t arrest her.

11. Kim Boyce Walsh says:

She needs to be kicked in the teeth for this behavior, I hope she gets prison time

12. Kim Boyce Walsh says:

Release her NAME

13. Bk says:

I agree she should have been arrested . but also why didnt anyone step up and help that poor dog? I was not on that area of the beach that day but was on the beach if I seen this happening I would have stepped in somehow ,really hope she gets what coming to her regardless if she claims to mentally unstable, the person with her should be charged as well as an accessory ..