By Tashanea Whitlow

WESTBORO (CBS) – A mother is outraged over what a Supercuts stylist allegedly said in front of her two children in Westboro.

“For the first time I had to explain to my daughter that there are some people that have a problem with you just because you’re tanner than everybody else,” said Damalyn Matthews.

Damalyn said the actions of the stylist, who has since been fired, forced her to have a conversation with her 7-year-old daughter Amialyn about race too soon.

“She made fun of my color of my skin and I hate when people do that,” said Amialyn.

Amialyn Matthews and her brother (WBZ-TV)

Damalyn said the stylist about to cut Amialyn’s hair made a hurtful comment to her 21-year-old niece, who is white. Her son also heard the comment.

“Now this lady told her, ‘you should have told us you were Black when you made the appointment,’” Damalyn said. “[Amialyn] is so naive she says, ‘Well I’m not Black, my skin’s brown can you trim my hair anyways?’”

Frustrated and angry, Damalyn turned to Facebook. Her post caught the attention of the franchise owner who later wrote, “Racism, ignorance, and prejudice are not tolerated or allowed in our company.”

The stylist was fired, but the family said the damage was already done.

“Sometimes there are mean people in this world and they say hurtful things, you understand, that may be because of something they are going through, it’s not anything that you did,” Amialyn’s dad, Muhammad Matthews said.

“I was hoping to keep them innocent for a little while longer, because they’re still small,” Damalyn said.

Damalyn said despite the stylist being fired, her family will not go back to Supercuts.

Tashanea Whitlow

Comments (6)
  1. ed keenan says:

WRONG THING TO SAY…..FIRING RIGHT THING TO DO……………IT IS OVER,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,MOVE ON

2. Jane Doe says:

Oh boo f-ing hoo… freakin’ snowflakes who are just looking for a lawsuit! Then go to ANOTHER place to get the afro-American’s hair cut and STFU!!!!!

1. Kelley says:

This. This right here, your attitude (jane doe, embarrassed to state your real name? You should be) is racist, and the reason people are hurt by racism. Funny you should bring up lawsuits, our President is a professional at bringing lawsuits, or denying them, knowing the small businesses suing him couldn’t afford to keep them going and would eventually give up. Probably the only people he EVER actually paid were his lawyers. Black people have been subjected to your type of racism for years, yet I rarely hear of them bringing lawsuits against others. For Christ’s sake, they just want to be treated like any other American. What’s wrong with you? Be kind, it’s not that difficult.

3. Morgan O'Rourke says:

There has to more to this story than what’s here. Exactly why did the stylist say that? The reason? Where is the stylists point-of-view? This is beyond sloppy reporting. C’mon BZ, can’t you do better than this.

4. Lebron says:

Where’s BLM when you need them!?

5. Salice says:

This child is perceived as black although her mother is white, and the child may start to think because of this incident that being black is a bad thing. Black children need a bit of pride and defiance to meet those who would try to diminish them. It is something that some white parents may not be able to give — and really, some black parents, too. The worst thing is for the child to become apologetic –“I’m just a little tanner”– in the face of those who would try to diminish her.