BOSTON (CBS) – A 15-year-old is dead after three people were shot in Roxbury on Thursday night, marking the third homicide in the city in 24 hours.
Police said the call came in around 10 p.m. – originally as a fireworks call and possible shots fired – and police found a 15-year-old male who had been shot on Mount Pleasant Avenue – right across the street from a park.READ MORE: 'Rally Against Replacement' At St. Vincent Hospital Hosted By Reps. Trahan, McGovern
Commissioner William Gross, who was at the scene, said two other shooting victims went to the hospital one their own. “And they were also believed to be at this scene.”
The 15-year-old died from the gunshot wounds.
“It’s been a busy and violent night, folks,” Gross said.READ MORE: New Bedford Man Dies After Shooting Outside Convenience Store
Another shooting happened just two hours earlier in Mattapan.
“We need to make sure this Fourth of July weekend that families are able to be safe and enjoy themselves,” District Attorney Rachael Rollins said, acknowledging the violence of the past 24 hours.
Boston Mayor Marty Walsh was also at the scene. He noted the young children were peeking out the windows of their homes at 11 p.m. at a violent crime scene.
“I’m asking people who are involved in the violence in the city of Boston: Put your guns down. You’re looking for support, you’re looking for help, reach out to us. This is unacceptable,” Walsh said. “You’re creating trauma in communities that doesn’t need trauma right now.”MORE NEWS: 3 Fisherman Rescued From Sinking Boat Off Cape Cod
There is no word on the conditions of other two victims. No arrests have been made.