BOSTON (AP) — A conservation group is warning the public to beware of a toxic blue-green algae found in the Charles River.
The Charles River Watershed Association issued a public health advisory after the algae was found at sites from the Massachusetts Ave Bridge to the Museum of Science.READ MORE: LIST: These Towns Are Still Mostly In The Dark From Nor'easter Power Outages
The group says cyanobacteria blooms are toxic to pets, so people shouldn’t let their dogs swim in the area. The association is also urging boaters to avoid contact with the water.READ MORE: Crane Topples Onto Home In Worcester, Causing Extensive Damage
Health officials say the harmful algae can make humans sick and can kill animals.MORE NEWS: Cape Cod Marathon Canceled Due To 'Severe' Damage From Nor'easter
(© Copyright 2019 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)