BOSTON (CBS) – A Boston man was arrested after he allegedly threw a burning American flag onto the roof of a police vehicle and spit at a responding officer.

It happened around 7 p.m. on Sunday. Daniel Lucey, 40, was arrested in the area of Boston Common.

Several people nearby approached an officer to report the burning flag was on the roof of an unoccupied prisoner transport wagon that was parked near the fountain inside the park.

A scaled down Memorial Day display on Boston Common. (WBZ-TV)

When police located Lucey, he allegedly told them he had burned the flag and thrown it in a form of protest. Boston Police said Lucey was holding several other flags that were similar to the ones that had been placed in front of the Soldiers and Sailors Monument for Memorial Day.

Police said that while speaking to officers, Lucey spit on one them, hitting the officer’s shoe.

Lucey was arrested and charged with disorderly conduct, assault and battery on a police officer, malicious destruction of property and malicious destruction of historical monuments.

Comments (17)
  1. Mike says:

Throw is ass in jail for disrespecting the American flag that my grandfather and other military men and women gave up their lives for

1. Sam Green says:

Mike,
      Guys like your grandfather as well as all veterans (especially Vietnam veterans) are my heroes.

I too served, paid a steep price and spent 1.5 years in a military hospital recovering. If I had a do over, I wouldn’t change a thing.
      I served to protect America’s freedoms. While it makes me ill to see stuck on stupid fools burning American flags, they have that right.

With that said, if someone came onto my property and removed my cotton Valley Forge American flag, it probably would not have a fairy tale ending.

1. Sam adams says:

Constitution says we can’t go to war “UNLESS ACTUALLY INVADED”.
        USA has not been invaded since War of 1812.
        Only Congress has power to declare war, but that has not been done since WW2.
        Americans are war criminals, according to Constitution.

2. George says:

As a vet, I support the ability of Americans to burn the American flag in protest. But if you want to fly it as intended then do so..too many tattered flags and un-lighted ones flying at night. Its called free speech…suck it up or we won’t have any rights.

3. Warrior of GOD says:

They should execute this traitor…Anyone that burns the American flag is a traitor and should be hung as one…..

2. Vincent Vega says:

reading about the police shooting him would have made this a feel good story

3. LA NUKKA says:

The police are nothing but brown shirts (Nazis) enforcing rules placed by the elites to the underclasses. The US didnt have a police force until 1852 since individuals could govern themselves. When are we going to push-back against their tyranny?

1. Willy says:

LA NUKKA, you are nothing more than an IDIOT!

2. R S says:

How many times have you voted in the last 10 years? If you haven’t voted then you have no right to complain about the elites. Exercise your constitutional rights and not just your keyboard.

3. T Fly says:

How do you account for the peace officers in force before there were police here?

4. Pu-sa-la says:

Did 20 years in the Navy to honor the sacrifice of those who came before, especially the Viet Nam vets. I watched the war daily on our TV (when we had one). Always fearful I might have to go to the war. Funny thing about my personality, if I’m afraid of something, I hit it head on. Made me good for the military. I hated how the vets go treated when they came home. So I went to serve. One of the best decisions I ever made. If I were around the idiot who burned the flag wouldn’t need to worry about getting shot by the police, I’d beat him down myself. Flag Burners are Cowards, hiding behind free speech. We need laws to protect our nations Flag.

5. Rich says:

This flag burner should be turned into a barbeque chicken, well done . Send him over to North Korea , Kim Jong will do us a solid !

6. Juss Sayyin says:

Lemmee guess…the kneegroe was having a bad day…

7. Sam iam says:

LA NUKKALHEAD

8. Richard says:

Most cops are non-veterans. Don’t know anything about the Bill of Rights or respect citizens.

9. Michael Chovich says:

What about arson?????? Lock him up for 20 years as a form of protest

10. joseph e parsons says:

many leos’ are vets as am I Lt Col of Marines {Mustang) ret 1969-1995. not a l leo