BOSTON (CBS) – He arrived at WBZ-TV as a young man, on the heels of the Blizzard of ’78. Now, 42 years later, meteorologist Barry Burbank is preparing for his final forecast on WBZ.

After he delivers the weather Sunday night during the 11 p.m. news, Barry Burbank will be signing off.

Barry has been on the air at WBZ longer than anybody in the station’s history. Last summer, he was inducted into the Massachusetts Broadcasters Hall of Fame.

In 2019, Barry Burbank was inducted into the Mass. Broadcasters Hall of Fame (WBZ-TV)

“A great forecaster, a great person to have in the office, such an amazing spirit when you’re in his presence,” is how Chief Meteorologist Eric Fisher described Barry. “Who knows how many future meteorologists are out there because of Barry.”

Over the years Barry has forecast some of the world’s trickiest weather with a steady hand, a friendly voice, and an eye on accuracy.

“The most fun is when you get the forecast right, so I’m having fun most of the time,” Burbank said during his Hall of Fame induction.

“I love the way that you love life and the way you treat people,” WBZ anchor Lisa Hughes said in a goodbye message to Burbank. “You are a gentleman and a total team player.”

“I can say without hesitation that Barry Burbank is one of my favorite people of all time,” anchor David Wade shared. “He is a tremendous person.”

Perhaps WBZ-TV’s Executive Weather Producer Terry Eliasen said it best. “There never was another Barry Burbank. There never will be another Barry Burbank.”

Barry Burbank’s first day at WBZ-TV on March 1, 1978. (WBZ-TV)

Thank you Barry, from all of us at WBZ-TV and CBS Boston.

If you want to share a message of thanks with Barry, visit us on Facebook or use the hashtag #ThanksBarry on Twitter or Instagram.

Comments (9)
  1. steve kalmanides says:

a great meteorologist.not like some of the idiots on the other stations.job well done

2. Greg and Joan Caliri says:

Thanks for the reports and your good spirit over the last 42 years. We also miss you as a neighbor here in Bradford (you were here briefly) but I’m sure we’ll see you around town. And a belated thanks for letting my daughter play in your loam pile in the front yard!

3. Barry for 42 years you done your job as a meteorologist on WBZ with small on your face an easy going attitude and just big love of life. I have follow since your first day at WBZ that down home personality. like your mentor Don Kent you have have been a great mentor. Good example is your fellow Meteorologist on Channel 4 Sarah remember when Sarah first came to channel and you took her under your wing and helped her developed her own career. Barry the best of Luck in your future endeavors. My be we’ll meet some day while trecking around New England. I gona miss seeing you on the TV.

4. Eric says:

First Don Kent and now Barry – bummer! But he’s sure earned a retirement. Thanks for everything, Barry!

5. Kathryn Murdock says:

T.T.T.C. Godspeed Barry

6. Wally says:

Thanks for 42 years of class on the air Barry ,well done sir .

7. Joan Dillan says:

You’ll be missed, have watched you since the beginning. A class act, never more important than the job at hand. Enjoy!

8. Denise Cyr says:

Enjoyed watching you over the years and will miss you. Thanks for all your hard work, witty personality and spot on forecast. Sending you lots of happiness for your well deserved retirement!

9. Dave Corkum says:

When I wanted a weather forecast I could trust, I tuned in to you. Hope you enjoy your well earned retirement.