Watch CBS News

Prosecutors Drop Charges Against Uber Driver Accused Of Rape In Wrentham

WRENTHAM (AP) -- Prosecutors have dropped the rape case against an Uber driver who had been charged with sexually assaulting a passenger because the woman declined to testify and DNA evidence excluded the defendant as a suspect.

The Sun Chronicle reports that prosecutors dismissed the case against 33-year-old Melvin Guerrero-Encarnacion, of Lynn, "in the interest of justice."

Melvin Guerrero-Encarnacion
Melvin Guerrero-Encarnacion in Wrentham District Court in April. (WBZ-TV)

The woman told police she was raped by an Uber driver on a secluded side street in Wrentham in the early morning hours of April 28. The woman had been at a party in Franklin.

Robert Carmel-Montes, Guerrero-Encarnacion's attorney, says his client is "relieved that he has been vindicated" but fears that his reputation has suffered.

Carmel-Montes says his client has worked for ride-hailing companies for five years without a complaint from thousands of customers.

Information from: The (Attleboro, Mass.) Sun Chronicle

(© Copyright 2019 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)

View CBS News In
CBS News App Open
Chrome Safari Continue
Be the first to know
Get browser notifications for breaking news, live events, and exclusive reporting.