BOSTON (CBS/CNN) — A popular knitting social media website based in Boston has banned support for President Donald Trump on its platform, accusing his administration of propagating “open white supremacy.”

Ravelry, a community site that allows users to share ideas about knitting and textile projects, said in a blog post Sunday that it will remove users if they express support for Trump on its forum, profile pages or any other content.

“We cannot provide a space that is inclusive of all and also allow support for open white supremacy. Support of the Trump administration is undeniably support for white supremacy,” the site said.

“You can still participate if you do in fact support the administration, you just can’t talk about it here,” it added in the post announcing the policy.

Ravelry says it is used by hundreds of thousands of people each month, and has more than 100,000 followers on Twitter. It said it could remove users from the site if they breach the rule, but added that they would not lose their data.

It also noted that people would not be removed for past support.

“We are not endorsing the Democrats nor banning Republicans,” the site added. “We are definitely not banning conservative politics. Hate groups and intolerance are different from other types of political positions.”

Ravelry was founded in 2007 by Jessica and Casey Forbes in a “tiny apartment in Boston,” a post on the site’s Instagram states. A LinkedIn page for the company says it has 8.3 million registered users and is the “#3 craft site in the world.”

Ravelry’s statement said its new rules were inspired by a policy on a roleplaying game site.

Trump has been accused of equivocating on the threat posed by white supremacist individuals and groups during his presidency.

The president has also said he doesn’t view white nationalism as a rising threat around the world, instead describing the movement as a small group of people “with very, very serious problems.”

Trump has on other occasions disavowed groups including the Ku Klux Klan.

(© Copyright 2019 CBS Broadcasting Inc. All Rights Reserved. CNN’s Rob Picheta contributed to this report.)

Comments (51)
  1. Diane Bolles says:

I think Etsy is better anyway. The designer has moved her shop here. https://www.etsy.com/shop/DeplorableKnitter?ref=simple-shop-header-name&listing_id=715178809

2. Ford Hanson says:

utterly ridiculous. People are freaking brainwashed by the left wing media.

3. “not endorsing Democrats or banning Republicans…but we ARE saying that if you support Trump, you’re a White Supremacist.”. There. Fixed it for the little fascists @ravelry so it says what they mean more economically than they did in the article.

4. Dari Brown says:

Just cancelled my ravelry account. I don’t participate in a non inclusive group.

5. “He said there were some “very fine people on both sides” after white nationalist marchers clashed with opposition protesters in 2017 in Charlottesville, Virginia.”

Let me do your job for you. Here is the entire transcript

1. Kurt Knopp says:

“Now, I don’t care what a bunch of knitters do, but it would be nice if the press at least tried to be accurate.”

This is one of the reasons why ignorant people like the owners of that website act as they do. They are uninformed of the truth, and the media does nothing to remedy that and in fact simply keeps giving them false narratives.

6. Linda Hutch says:

“inclusive for all” ….. except for those who’s opinion we don’t like…

7. It seems Ravelry seeks to use their platform to perpetuate the unsubstantiated myth of widespread white supremacy. Looks darn goofy.

8. Whenever the mainstream media reports on the Trump “very fine people” comment to falsely insinuate he’s some white supremacist, remind them of Trump’s words in his VERY NEXT COMMENT:

“It’s fine, you’re changing history, you’re changing culture, and you had people – and I’m not talking about the neo-Nazis and the white nationalists, because they should be condemned totally – but you had many people in that group other than neo-Nazis and white nationalists, okay? And the press has treated them absolutely unfairly. Now, in the other group also, you had some fine people, but you also had troublemakers and you see them come with the black outfits and with the helmets and with the baseball bats – you had a lot of bad people in the other group too.”

9. Justin Tyme says:

To hell with Ravely. They are un-American to not accept an election. I didn’t enjoy Obama winning either term but I didn’t turn into a democracy hating ass.

10. Lou Bennelli says:

The more you hate him the more I love my Trump:) Censorship never works. Ravelry you are so pathetic and embarrassing.

11. Propagating the “”Both sides” half truth spread by democrats. Go look at the whole statement and then come back and say Trump was equivocating. It’s a lie.

12. Kevin Riley says:

I’ll be sure to loose sleep over this.

13. Kevin Bearly says:

The founding fathers new that allowing females to vote would lead to the end of the Republic just as listening to a female in the garden got us kicked out.

14. J David Krauser says:

“You can still participate if you do in fact support the administration, you just can’t talk about it here,” it [Revelry] added in the post announcing the policy.

Attacks upon the Administration and its supporters are, of course, supported and encouraged here. In fact, the nastier the better.

15. Greg Castello says:

How about NOT discussing politics at all on a knitting website? Just tell users not to talk about politics, abortion, religion, climate change, LGTB, or any of the myriad of other ridiculous BS out there. There are plenty of other websites to vent your spleen about the issues of the day. Let’s just talk about . . .knitting.

16. Peter Orilia says:

Nitwits! If this site wanted to lose – forever – 50% of their readership, they could not have done it better! Where the hell do they presume to spout left-wing politics given that they say that they do not support Republicans or Democrats? In short, STFU.

17. Thomas Taylor says:

It was probably pretty good web-site. Any investors should sue whoever destroyed it

18. Robert W Nagel says:

Would this possibly be considered an “in kind” contribution to the Democrat nominee by the FEC?

19. David Gosselin says:

I never knew such a site existed. Nice to know they allow only their political views. They can probably expect a drop in membership as a result of their publicity.

20. Just another case of liberals PROJECTING nastiness upon people who do not agree with them and their agenda. They typically lose if there is actually a substantive debate….so instead they call you nasty names. That is exactly what this is.

21. ch0rn says:

No, He didn’t

22. I have to check if I’m registered there – if I am, I’m cancelling my account. Who one supports politically isn’t their business. @ravelry

23. Matthew Campbell says:

Knitting gets politics. Oy veh. Is nothing safe? BTW, just why are a bunch of knitting enthusiasts talking about party or candidate politics on a KNITTING web site? I mean… stick to the topic. Making knitting a political thing is just plain wrong.

24. Dennis P Kelly says:

Surely, this is the perfect example of TDS going to an extreme of having an entire group (besides Google of course and the MSM) of “unraveling”. LOL.

25. Ravelry, you are an utter piece of garbage, human being, for accusing others of being essentially worthless human garbage without clear justification. SHAME on EVERY one of you have supported this gestapo behavior by this clearly racist, hate fueled company.

26. Jeff Michelson says:

TO THE EMPLOYEES of RAVELRY – – how confused and isolated you must feel knowing that your ownership is SO stupid as to put the business and YOUR jobs on the line for such a misguided effort to be Social Justice Warriors. I am SO sorry that there are such stupid people in the world and these people have influence over your lives and your security.

Respond to THIS MESSAGE with a non-traceable email address and I will reach out to you to offer career opportunities without the threat of this kind of pathetic nonsense. It has no place in business. I’m a business owner in the textile industry. THIS IS A LEGITIMATE OFFER.

I will routinely check this thread. Expect our conversations to be entirely discrete. I wouldn’t normally do this, but if I were any one of you, I’d want to put as much distance between my family and Ravelry as possible. I look forward to hearing from you.

27. Luis Martinez says:

retards

28. Bailey Taylor says:

Neo-fascists practicing censorship based on false news reports.
    Nice.

29. In other news, Ravelry declares war on Americans, goes out of business next day.

30. Amanda Gregory says:

I am a Ravelry user. They should stay out of politics; and religion.

31. Well I don’t knit but I have had to wonder around in knit shops and I have seen the hatred perpetrated in some of these places. i have heard women scorn our President without even acknowledging any of the good he has done for this country. My wife is a knitter and I will encourage her not to spend money with any company that treats its customers like this.

32. More “inclusive’ LEFTY totalitarian fascists. Bunch of losers.

33. Judy Yalcin says:

I just deleted my account. I may be reading their statement wrong, but it doesn’t say someone was discussing Trump, just sounds like they’re say –you better not.

34. LauraAnn Johnston says:

Ravelry has support all over the world. Those in the International Knitting community love this policy. I am a conservative Never Trumper and I love this new policy too. It has so much support from all over the world that the few percentage that are cancelling their accounts and moving them to etsy doesn’t make a bit of difference. I’m sticking with Ravelry because it’s a great community that reaches across international borders to make knitting fun for everyone.

35. Rayne Ashford says:

Isn’t it funny how a company with an all white administrative team who is seeking to become more inclusive is taking a stance on white supremacy…irony, anyone?