BOSTON (CBS) – The MSPCA’s fattest pig “Amy” is up for adoption.

Amy the pig (Photo credit: MSPCA-Angell)

Amy has been at MSPCA’s Nevins Farm in Methuen since Sept. 27. Her Franklin owners bought the 2-year-old potbelly in 2016 and thought they were getting a “mini pig.”

But Amy grew and grew to the point where they could no longer keep her and had to surrender the pig to the farm.

The MSPCA says Amy’s owners fed her everything from meat and vegetables to cookies and donuts.

Amy the potbelly pig is looking for a new home. (Photo credit: MSPCA-Angell)

“She got tremendously fat because she was fed too much of the wrong foods and was given no opportunity to exercise or express normal pig behaviors such as rooting and wallowing,” said Ellie Monteith, who manages the farm animal program at Nevins, in a statement. “She was at least 100 lbs. overweight when we got her and was easily one of the fattest pigs I had ever seen in my life.”

The MSPCA says Amy is depressed due to her size and refused to move for days. She’s now on a strict diet and does “piggy aerobics,” which involves walking the length of the barn several times during the day.

Amy participates in piggy aerobics. (Photo credit: MSPCA-Angell)

So far, Amy has lost about 20 pounds since arriving at the farm and the hope is she’ll lose up to 80 more. The MSPCA is seeking an “educated” owner who can offer their home and yard to Amy for the holiday season.

The farm has taken in 96 homeless pigs over the last five years thanks to the “mini pig” fad.

“We cannot stress this enough: if someone tells you they’re selling ‘mini pigs’ who will stay small for their entire lives, they are not telling the truth,” Monteith said.

Anyone interested in adopting Amy or other pigs from the MSPCA can email farmadoptions@mspca.org for more information.

Comments (21)
  1. Mark Mauldin says:

A fat pig makes the news? You guys should look for another line of work.

2. Linda Hobson says:

Best of luck to Amy and thank goodness the MSPCA now has her. I wish people getting ANY animal would do some research before they make that commitment. NONE of us know all there is to know about any animal. I have a neighbor who still gives her dog CHICKEN BONES!!!

1. Bailey Moad says:

When you give puppies chicken bones they learn to gnaw on the bones (teeth are little and weak) until the bone is so soft it does no harm. They grow up doing that and chicken bones don’t bother them at all. If you give a dog who wasn’t given bones as a puppy, it may be a different story. My Golden Retriever lived for 22 years and for 22 years that dog had all kinds of bones.

3. James Strawn says:

So the story is that a pig is fat and you don’t even get the weight into the story?

4. Mark Gerard Jefferies says:

Cruelty to aminals. I called police on my nasty old neighbors who were, for who knows how many months and years, were tossing junk food including chocolate, to my dog over my fence. When we installed security cameras we saw for days in a row what was going on. It angered us so much, when confronting them, they denied doing it, despite the camera evidence! Police and Humane Society told me after their official warning, I could prosecute if they did it again and I had the video evidence! We never let our dog out early mornings or late nights, so nobody could ever compain about him barking. These people are nasty for other reasons, but trying to kill our dog with junk food and chunks of chocolate is beyond cruelty. It’s pure evil.

5. Michael Jordan says:

A pig make a pig of itself… who wudda thunk it? Time for a bacon feast!

6. Lisal Christian says:

The owners must have been especially ignorant, most people over feed their pets because they see food as love, when in reality it is killing them. It’s my understanding that in order to keep a mini pig small, they have to be kept on a pretty strict diet.

7. Ernie Snuggs says:

Nothing wrong with that pig that a good smoker won’t fix!!!! It’s BBQ TIME!!!!!

8. Buz Chertok says:

Looks like Michael Moore.

1. John Moser says:

I thought that he looked familiar!

9. Dee Merk says:

Perhaps there is a police department somewhere in the Dunkin Donuts USA willing to adopt a new member.

10. Omar Fundora says:

For a moment I though the pig was an obese woman I see all the time. She is always eating cookies and donuts too. Shape about the same too. :)

11. Kevin Sanderson says:

I WILL GIVE IT A GOOD HOME IN MY FREEZER.

12. Bob Lostsoul says:

Bacon!

13. Dan Purcell says:

That pig could be a poster child for Congress or Amy Schumer’s new make over.

14. What part of “pig” do they not understand?

15. Mark Brown says:

The owners should be in court for abuse.

16. Bobby Cullari says:

Off to the slaughter house….