MATTAPAN (CBS) – A woman is in critical condition after firefighters pulled her out of a burning home in Mattapan.

Flames broke out in the multi-family house on Rainer Road just before 10 p.m. Monday and tore through a wall. Firefighters were able to contain it to the first floor.

READ MORE: Coronavirus In Massachusetts: Today's Developments

Witnesses described a harrowing scene when the fire broke out.

“Thick black smoke, you could see the fire coming out the back of the house. Scary, because we thought it was going to ignite to the rest of the houses,” said neighbor Ykyttra Jones.

The fire heavily damaged the home on Rainier Road. (Photo credit: Boston Fire Dept.)

Jones said one of her neighbors tried to help.

“When they saw the smoke, they ran out, they got a hose, got a fire extinguisher. They were doing the best that they could to put the fire out. They said the smoke got too intense. They were starting to not be able to breathe,” Jones said.

Neighbors were not able to put out the flames. But Boston firefighters did.

“The company made an aggressive interior attack. They were able to knock the fire down. They immediately found somebody who was overcome by smoke. She was in her 60’s. We were able to get her to Boston EMS,” Deputy Fire Chief Andre Stallworth told reporters.

The fire heavily damaged the home on Rainier Road. (Photo credit: Boston Fire Dept.)

READ MORE: NH Police Searching For Missing 5-Year-Old Boy Elijah Lewis

The owner of the three-story home also described a dangerous scene as the fire spread.

“The door and the smoke just came into the hallway, engulfed the hallway,” he said. “So we went to try to kick the door in, but all the smoke came out, billowing. We really couldn’t get in with all the smoke and the heat.”

Jones said she’s not surprised by the bravery of the firefighters or neighbors who rushed to help.

“I’ve actually lived here all my life, and it’s kind of symbolic of how this neighborhood is. We kind of look out for each other. So, I wasn’t surprised (by the rescue efforts),”  Jones said.

The woman’s name has not been made public. Six people were forced to find another place to stay because of the fire.

There’s no word yet on what caused it. Damage is estimated at $50,000.

The homeowner, meanwhile, said he’s now praying that his tenant, who was rushed to the hospital, gets better.

“We didn’t know in what condition she was in. I just pray that the lady overcomes her obstacles,” he said.

MORE NEWS: Case Of Rat-Borne Bacterial Disease Identified In Boston

“I thank God for being alive,” he added. “I thank God for saving family, and for the fire department responding so quickly.”