MARSHFIELD (CBS) – Police are searching for an “armed and dangerous” man in connection with a homicide in Marshfield Monday night. Police say 47-year-old Allen Warner is a person of interest in the death of his wife. Warner is believed to be driving a gray 2013 Toyota Corolla with Massachusetts registration 4FS-Z80.

Police aren’t saying how the woman died, pending an autopsy, but will say a firearm or rifle was involved.

READ MORE: Coronavirus In Massachusetts: Today's Developments

Allen Warner. (Photo credit: Marshfield Police)

Marshfield Police said they were searching for an “active shooter” and locked down a large area of the town Monday night after the incident, but now believe Warner is no longer in the area.

“Please stay away from the area and stay inside and lock your doors,” Marshfield Police said on Twitter and Facebook after the shooting.

Just before 6:00 p.m. Monday night, Marshfield Police received a 911 call from a woman who reported Warner, her soon-to-be ex-husband, was chasing her in a car. When officers responded to the area of 758 Main Street, they found the woman suffering from facial injuries. She was taken to South Shore Hospital where she was pronounced dead.

“The State Police are requesting the public’s help in looking for Mr. Warner,” Plymouth County District Attorney Timothy Cruz said. “He is to be considered armed and dangerous, if anybody comes in contact with him, please call 911 immediately, do not approach him.”

READ MORE: To Do List: New England Beer Festival, Belmont Film Festival, Fire Pits

State Police, K9 Units and the Air Wing were all part of the search.

“I want to thank the public for their patience during this long duration manhunt,” Marshfield Police Chief Phillip Tavares said. “It’s only a matter of time.”

While Marshfield neighbors were asked to stay inside and lock their doors, that also applied to the nearby high school, just up the street from where the shooting occurred.

SWAT team members respond to shooting in Marshfield (WBZ-TV)

Several athletic teams were there practicing when the lockdown was ordered. Students sheltered in place inside the school, while parents nervously waited in the parking lot.

Armed with rifles, police eventually escorted the students in small groups to their waiting families. Athletes told WBZ they appreciated feeling informed during the time they were kept inside. “Everyone was able to stay calm, and we were just able to get through it,” football player Peter Suzio said.

MORE NEWS: Nearly Half Of COVID Cases In Massachusetts Hospitals Are 'Incidental'

The Marshfield football and Duxbury girls volleyball teams were among those affected. They were safely released to their parents around 8:30 p.m.