BOSTON (CBS) — Tom Brady is in better shape at age 40 than he was at age 30, or even as a rookie. His dedication to staying in the best shape possible and avoiding serious injuries has certainly played a role in his ability to play at an elite level even into his late-30s.

But according to Brady, not only is practice not that hard, it doesn’t even hurt.

Conventional wisdom is that professional football is a rigorous game for anyone who plays. Even just practicing would leave just about anyone at least feeling sore after a day of running around, hitting the turf, and crashing into other large humans.

Not Brady.

“I’m never sore,” Brady told reporters after the Patriots-Texans joint practice at the GreenBrier in White Sulphur Springs, West Virginia. “I could practice every day. I could practice twice a day if they let us do that, but that’s not the way it goes anymore. It’s just fun out here competing.”

It helps that Brady can’t be hit during practices, but no soreness whatsoever?

The answer came off a question from a reporter, presumably a Texans beat writer, about the differences in recovering from practice at age 40 versus younger ages. Brady started his answer by explaining that his experience has helped him get better at keeping himself fresh and healthy through better routines.

“It’s a lot easier now for me than it’s ever been,” said Brady. “I feel like my routine’s better than it’s ever been. When you’re younger, you don’t know what to do. After 17 years, going into my 18th year, I know how to prepare.”

At age 40, the game comes easier to Brady than it ever has. Even after a hard day of practice.

Comments (26)
  1. It took me years to appreciate him. He is one of the very best quarterback in NFL history.

2. Never sore….dang I need to learn that trick. A few years older than Tom, but I am sore after EVERY workout. An afternoon of picking up sticks in the yard leads to soreness. Either I have something terribly wrong or Tom is a liar.

3. Steroids are wonderful, aren’t they, Tommy Boy?

4. Ben Boyd says:

The man… the myth… the LEGEND!

5. Totally believe this is possible

But only if you are strict with diet and sleeping schedule

You can not get these results on a traditional western diet – it has to be pretty much pure and perfect. The biggest problem with doing this routing are your family and friends – they wont do it. They must be understanding, tolerant, and supportive.

6. We’ll see when you’re in you 50’s walking aroung like a zombie when those concussions catch up.

7. Richard Frey says:

Dang…..Those Opioids must Help?????

8. It’s called HGH, gees, 99% of football players are on PED”s, but Brady he’s on the best of the best.

9. People say there is a RACE problem. People say this RACE problem will be solved when the third world pours into EVERY and ONLY into White countries.

People say the only solution to the RACE problem is if ALL and ONLY White countries “assimilate,” i.e., intermarry, with all those non-Whites.

But if I tell that obvious truth about the ongoing program of genocide against White people, Anti-Whites agree that I am a naziwhowantstokillsixmillionjews.

Anti-racist is a codeword for anti-White.

10. I believe him. When I was forty I could run a 10K in 41 minutes.
    When I was 48 I ran one in 38 minutes on a certified course.
    When I was 26 my wife and I hiked up Mt Washington in 3 hours and it was the hardest thing we had ever done. Last year we did the same hike in 1 hour 20 minutes. We hiked down in 1 hour twenty minutes also! BTW I was 74 and my wife was 72.
    I have friends that are my age and I can’t begin to keep up with them.
    The answer is to not stop but to keep going. If I had stopped for ten years I would not be able
    to keep the same level od fitness.

11. Shawna Bay says:

Please watch Forks over Knives on Netflix – and see how ‘our genetics load the gun but it’s the food that pulls the trigger.’ Then watch What the Health on Netflix and be prepared to have your eyes opened wide up! Take control of your own destiny!!

12. Tanya Putnam says:

He uses some German machine that makes him heal quickly. Does something to the blood. Was really eased on Rush Limbaugh show by a caller that used to replace for the company that sells them.

13. A full time customized monitored fitness schedule that spans the entire day, eating right, staying on a set routine, and getting sleep has been proven clinically, many times, to reduce pain. Doctors have pointed to increased oxygen flow and the reduction of active pain receptors due to regenerative muscle repair. The only issue, you have to have an extreme OCD personality to maintain this. For all you opioid and THC trolls, both of those drugs would have hastened his aging if he used them long term. Also proven clinically.

14. Vox Veritas says:

But it comes at a price. Most players aren’t willing to deflate their balls to achieve it.

15. And you think anyone cares because……?

16. Tony Redunzo says:

to paraphrase Rick James ” Drugs are a wonderful thing”

17. I remember when the Patriots were the doormat of the AFC. A team with the best coach and quarterback in the history of the NFL can’t be beat and this is coming from a lifelong Chief’s fan. Kinda like Trump “here’s the truth, love it or hate it, facts don’t change”.

18. I think you have to have a brain stem to feel pain. You also need a personality to be interesting. Brady is seemingly devoid of both.

19. dustoff44 says:

He is still going to die, just like everyone else.

20. I felt that way at 40 too … and then 60 rolled around. Poor Tom doesn’t know what he has in store for him, but, then, most young people don’t either. I know I didn’t.