LAWRENCE (CBS) – A woman was saved from the top of a burning home in Lawrence early Wednesday morning.

Firefighters were called to the house on Arlington Street around 1 a.m. and saw flames shooting through the roof while a 22-year-old woman was trapped there.

The fire tore through the third floor of the home on Arlington Street early Wednesday. (Photo credit: Lawrence Police)

The woman, who asked not to be identified, told WBZ-TV that flames broke out in the room next to where she was sleeping.

“I jumped out of bed jumped out the window then called 911,” she said.

The woman said she gripped the window with one hand while talking to 911 dispatchers using her cell phone with her other hand. She remained on the roof until firefighter Peter Humphrey got to the scene and rescued her.

The woman who was rescued by Lawrence firefighter Peter Humphrey. (WBZ-TV)

The woman was taken to the hospital where she was treated and released.

“Training takes over I couldn’t even tell you the steps,” Humphrey said. “All I remember saying to the captain is ‘We’ve got one on the roof we’ve got to fly.'”

“It was just a matter of seconds before that room lit up and the fire would have been rolling over her head.”

Lawrence firefighter Peter Humphrey. (WBZ-TV)

Everyone else in the home escaped safely. Fourteen people were displaced by the fire.

One resident, 15-year-old Marcos Peralta, told WBZ NewsRadio 1030’s Ben Parker he was woken up by banging–and that he had just one thought.

“Grab my little brother, get out,” he said.

Marcos, his parents, and his nine-year-old and four-month old brothers were able to get out safely–and they watched as firefighters rescued the woman from the floor above them.

“She was trapped out and couldn’t get out in time, because the fire started on her doorway,” Marcos said.

The woman was saved from the third floor of this home on Arlington Street early Wednesday. (WBZ-TV)

Damage is estimated at around $200,000. There is heavy damage to the top floor, with water damage to the bottom floors–but firefighters were able to save the house.

Firefighters said an unattended candle in a room on the third floor sparked the fire.

Humphrey said helping people is why he wanted to become a firefighter in the first place.

“It’s a pretty good feeling to know you took the job to do this and you finally get to do it its exciting,” said Humphrey.

The woman who was rescued from the roof said she is extremely grateful for the efforts of Humphrey and others.

“Just thank you. I appreciate it a lot,” she said when asked her message for the firefighters.

WBZ NewsRadio 1030’s Ben Parker reports

Comments

Leave a Reply

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment:

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s