SOMERVILLE (CBS) — The man police say attacked an Uber driver and took off with his car in Medford early Saturday morning appeared in court Monday.

Nicholas Fabrizio, 33 of Lynn, was arraigned in Somerville District Court on charges of assault and battery and carjacking.

READ MORE: Gov. Charlie Baker Weighing $4B Spending Bill Sent To Him By Lawmakers

Nicholas Fabrizio speaks with reporters outside Somerville District Court Monday. (WBZ-TV)

“I apologize. That’s all I can say,” Nicholas Fabrizio said Monday.

It’s what Fabrizio wants his victim to know.

“It shouldn’t be a big deal, but it is. I messed up,” Fabrizio said.

Uber driver Pierre Francois said he picked up four passengers in Boston around 2:30 a.m. Saturday, but kicked them out on Salem Street when they became unruly.

Francois said he asked the passengers to leave his car and find another ride.

“The female turned around to hit the guy behind me. I said ‘You know guys, I don’t feel safe driving you guys. It’s better to get another Uber. Get out of my car,’ ” Francois said.

That’s when Fabrizio allegedly attacked Francois and took off with his car.

“Right after I opened the door he jumped out and started hitting me,” Francois said.

“It wasn’t exactly the intent of that. I have anger problems and I’m going to make sure that gets fixed,” Fabrizio said.

Francois said he suffered several injuries as a result of the attack.

Pierre Francois, an Uber driver, was assaulted in Medford. (WBZ-TV)

READ MORE: Wind Gusts Across Eastern Mass. Projected To Be 50 MPH Or Higher On Monday Night

“I have pain in my shoulder. I can’t even move my right hand. I have a headache. You can see my eyes.  I have a broken nose,” Francois said.

An Uber spokesman called the incident “unacceptable” later Saturday.

“Drivers should be treated with respect, and what police describe is unacceptable,” the spokesman said. “We wish the driver a speedy recovery.”

They added that Fabrizio had been banned from the app.

Fabrizio says after the ordeal, he tried to do the right thing.

“The defendent actually showed up to the Medford police station after he was contacted by the Medford police about this incident. He showed up and was placed under arrest at the Medford police station,” the prosecuting attorney said in court Monday.

Officers said Fabrizio turned himself in to police around 4 p.m. Saturday after speaking with them on the phone. He was released after posting $1,000 cash bail. Prosecutors did not ask for an additional amount in court Monday.

The stolen car was recovered in Malden.

For the moment of anger, as Fabrizio called it, assault and battery and carjacking charges still stand.

“We’re just gonna see what happens,” Fabrizio said.

Fabrizio is scheduled to be back in court on April 26.

WBZ NewsRadio 1030’s Kim Tunnicliffe reports

MORE NEWS: Body Of Missing UNH Student Vincenzo Lirosi Found